Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Stencil wishlist??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stencil wishlist??

Post by Snickell on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:25 am

Hi everyone!

So now that I've dipped in and gotten my feet wet with face painting, I'm looking for ways to speed up my work. I've narrowed down my one stroke needs (made my own and have a separate wishlist of ones I'd like to try in the future) and am now looking at STENCILS!

I AM IN LOVE! Especially with BAM stencils, specifically 1005 and 1006 for all kinds of scales, zombie flesh, etc. And 1039 has REALLY saved me a ton of time with quick, perfect stars for a bit of flash. I have my eye on HAS 4036 for snowflakes and BAM 1002 for leopard spots to purchase next. However, I purchased a hot knife and have my eye on a Silouette Cameo to make some of my own! I'd like to make a custom stencil for 'stitches', a stencil for 'starbursts', and outline stencils for Lightening McQueen (I have a HORRIBLE time trying to paint it by hand) and other not-so-easy to paint critters (Dinosaurs, horses, and other animals sometimes come out blobbish, especially on wriggly faces!)

I was kind of inspired by a post on a body painting group on Facebook- what kind of stencils would YOU want to see available?? (One of the biggest requests seems to be variations on the 'tire tread' stencil)
Snickell

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.FairytailFABA.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stencil wishlist??

Post by fesspenter on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:10 am

Dear Snickell:
BAM 1035 is one stencil that we use a lot. It is swirly, heartlike paisleyish patterned. I tend to use it on what I perceive to be a 'boring' design, to take it to the next level. i.e.: a pink kitty can be jazzed up with purple, gold and Kryolan Interferenz Copper sponged over the top.

My avatar on the left is a corset done with a BAM stencil. I use this one a lot, too.

I do not use stencils to speed up my pace. I use them to enhance my designs and make them a appear more complex.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:26 am

So true, Fess, but it DOES speed up the recovery of epic fails...for me, anyway...
anniel

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:33 am

I just bought my first stencils. I wanted something for boy and girls. I purchased the HAS 5007 because it has scales and more boy designs. Then I purchased the HAS 5002 (Whimsy) for the girls. It has snowflakes, stars, dots, flowers, swirl's. My daughter loved it. To go faster I want to purchase the Olaf and Minion stencils so I don't have to free hand it all the time.
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Yes Fessy, I don't want to get into the habit of using them to 'cheat' persay, but to improve and make my designs better or easier to execute.

I have the BAM 1035 as well but for some reason it has remained untouched these last few months. :/ I'll have to make a point of experimenting with it and incorporating it in more of my designs (I've seen pictures of the kitty you are talking about and it is soooooo pretty!)

Nikki, where have you found the Minion and Olaf stencils???? Who is the vendor, I don't think I've come across those before?
Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:09 pm

I do not think using stencils is "cheating".

xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:26 am

Snickell I buy them from a vendor that comes to the Jams I attend here in Los Angeles. I plan on buying some the next time. I get more info and a picture if you're interested?
Niki Chennell

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:19 am

I mainly use stencils to add to designs. 

But there are 2 in my kit that I use as a 'cheat'

Stars and Snowflakes

Stars for me are SO hard to get even and looking well balanced, so the stencil is a life saver for that.

Snowflakes require a lot of little strokes to make just one nice one, and you never want just one lol. So it's great to be able to do clusters fast!

Some times the stencils are a nice cheat for patterns like symmetrical scales quickly. Or to add a lot of texture fast. 

I have a silhouette cameo I got on sale, and I plan to use it to make some more stencils so speed some things up and make them look better. Like a little fairy (i have a hard time with bodies) and like a superman symbol. Things that that that look good being crisp. But over all, I want to keep it mostly freehand. Or else why not just do airbrush tats right?
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:32 am

Niki, I'd love to see those stencils. Smile I appreciate the offer.

Forest-Fairy, I am the proud 3 day old owner of my very own Silhouette Cameo myself! And I originally bought it because I wanted to make my own airbrush tattoo stencils. I figured if I could come up with my own designs and have something different than other booths at fairs and such it would give me a one up!

I have a pretty good collection of stencils from Snaz, Bad A$$, and European Body Art already but always find myself hesitating from buying new stuff because although I like it and need it, I just wish I could change this one thing about the design and then it would be perfect. I wonder what the legalities are regarding making and using your own stencils altered from someone else's design? Or based on liscenced characters? (Here we go with the 'Spidey Guy' and 'Hello Kitten' thing again)

Does Bad A$$ stencils have 'copyright' or something to the idea of having the stencils all the same shape so that you can put them on a binder ring? I'd love to make my own all the same shape so that I can keep them all together...
Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:48 am

lol, i don't think you have to worry unless you are selling them. I plan on making all my new stencils the same shape as bad A$$ stencils so they fit together better on the ring, and look nicer.

Want to change the design for you own personal use? Do it.

I just call my spiderman 'spiderman' because honestly no one cares. And if they did, they have to send a cease and whatever letter. At which point to you just change it to 'spidy guy' or whatever. I wouldn't be too worried to be honest. We are VERY small potatoes and they have bigger fish to fry.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:14 am

Mmmmmm fish and chips. Yum.
Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 am

lol, fish & chips!
jlirie

Number of posts : 1799
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Of all the stencils I have, and my business a has well over 2500 in use. The tire tread is the easier to cut by hand. Otherwise check with Trendy Tribals they have a few. I rather doubt any one company has copyright on the ringing them together concept, as a few companies have this design.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Ok here is the Olaf and Elsa I promised and forgot about. I don't know why the images are sideways. Each stencil I got for $4. I will do a photo with them next to my HAS stencils and a ruler or something.
Niki Chennell

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:32 pm

niki, nice stencils Smile

i found if i upload a photo after i take it on my phone, occasionally it shows up sideways. i think it happens when i take the photo in landscape mode.  

if you edit it the photo after you take it, say, crop it a bit, and save it, then upload the cropped version, it will show upright.

also, if you choose 640 px for websites size from the menu, for.the photo, it is a good size for the forum. the 800 px is usually too large.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1799
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Now I'm hungry for fish and chips! THANKS, Face Paint Forum! cyclops cyclops cyclops

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum