Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Would you buy 50g split cakes or 32g solids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you buy 50g split cakes or 32g solids?

Post by PaintFreak on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi all! I have some extra money to put towards my kit and I'd like to buy two palettes. I'm not sure if I should get two TAG 32g solid color palettes (12 regular and 12 pearl), or two TAG 50g split cake palettes (9 regular and 9 pearl). I already have a palette of 18 1-strokes, and a DIY palette of 30 TAG 10g solid colors. Or should I go with Wolfe or DFX or some combo of all 3 brands? What would you buy? Thanks for any advice!
PaintFreak

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2014-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Would you buy 50g split cakes or 32g solids?

Post by jlirie on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:30 pm

2-color splits save space in your kit, as you get 2 colors in one cake.

sounds like you already have quite a bit of paint, even though they are not full size cakes.  are you doing a lot of events and running low? if not, maybe think about specific colors or metallics you would really like, rather than whole palettes.

there are a lot of comments in previous posts from various face painters discussing their favorite colors, and colors they got that they ended up not liking or using.

and what about brushes, glitter, accessories?

in the end it's up to you, but most people would recommend getting things you really think you would like.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1803
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

But, but, but, I want it all! I'm not actually running low. I've been using Ben Nye and Mehron Fantasy FX and want to go in a different direction with paint that would allow me to do more designs faster. My current set up is too slow.

I've read a lot on these forums about people's favorite paints, which is why I changed to TAG and bought the 1-stroke palette. I was just curious what people would do if they had a choice between a palette of solid colors vs. split cakes. I can see the advantage of having more colors in less space with the 50g splits. It was the direction I was leaning, but then I saw multiple pictures of different painter's set ups that included many of the solid colors.

I just bought some Suzy's Sparkles and BAM stencils from Metina, and I also bought some new brushes, so I'm good there. I'm probably doing this all backwards, but I'm taking time off from gigs to take some classes, improve my kit, and re-think my business. The few gigs I had were seasonal and I've not gotten into the birthday party circuit yet, so I'm not missing out on anything at the moment. I have a little seed money to use and I wanted to invest it in paints. You can never have too many paints right? Well, maybe you can...
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:07 pm

lol, i guess your forum handle says it all Smile. nice you have the option to invest in what you'd like.

you have probably read some of the discussions about portability of your set up, that might be something to think about - can you pack, carry, set up and break it down easily?

another thing might be having two or more kits, each for different types of events - large fast paced ones, small slower ones, adults/clubs, sports, etc.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1803
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Yes, I'm working on the portability issue also. I'm still trying to decide if I should use a fatmax or a gun case, because the large rolling makeup case I currently have isn't large enough or sturdy enough.

Thank you for the suggestion of creating kits for different events. That's a very good idea!
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:11 pm

I love my gun case...I personally love solid colors, but in the past couple of years split some that I regularly use together to include more in the space I have (like lime and dark green, blue and dark blue, etc.). (That didn't help a lot did it?)
anniel

Number of posts : 2316
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:41 pm

No actually it did help, thank you. Both you & jlirie mentioned the space issue, which was a concern of mine. I love your gun case, anniel. I love that you can open it up & you're ready to go in 5 minutes. But I have extra stuff that would also fit best in a fatmax. It's been a fun process figuring it out, though.
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm

What kinds of extras? My paint, brushes, stencils spritzer, glitter, gems, glitter gels, jewels, powders, water container--literally everything but my chair, sponges and water jug fits...
anniel

Number of posts : 2316
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Well, I was thinking specifically about my Ben Nye Magicolor liquid paints and Ben Nye Aqua Glitter that would do better if they stood up in a fatmax, and it looks like a water jug would fit in the bottom compartment.  I'm not sure I'm going to keep the liquid paints in my regular kit anymore anyway, and I'm switching over to Suzy's Sparkles instead of the Aqua Glitter (it's suspended in Liquiset and takes too long to apply).  The liquid paints are really better suited for a different kit I've started for the free annual Halloween carnival at my son's school.  Everything from food, games, prizes, pictures, pumpkins, trick-or-treat bags and candy is donated and the parents volunteer their time to organize it put it on for the kids.  I have a team of 2 parent painters, 4 student painters, and 4 student hair sprayers and I supply them with all the face paint, brushes, aprons, supplies, etc., and donate some of the colored hairspray but not all of it.  I took over the face painting/hairspray booths after the PTO committee told us they didn't have enough money to pay for both the colored hairspray and face paints & suggested buying craft paint from Michaels.  OY!  We have about 300 kids in grades K-8, but only about half of those in the lower grades want their faces painted, and we have 2 hours to get it done.  The students & parent volunteers only have drawing experience, so we're limited to 5 min cheek art.  The liquid paints have worked well for that and they're easy for the student painters to use.  If I no longer have to worry about keeping liquid paints in my kit, then I'm leaning more towards the gun case.
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Musick on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:21 pm

anniel wrote:I love my gun case...I personally love solid colors, but in the past couple of years split some that I regularly use together to include more in the space I have (like lime and dark green, blue and dark blue, etc.). (That didn't help a lot did it?)

I know this was posted forever ago but just curious if in your avatar photo that is the gun case you were referring to? If so, do you have any bigger pics you can post I love love the set up and how much space it looks like you have! Thx in advance Smile
Jessica Musick

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top