Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

??? BLUSH ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

??? BLUSH ???

Post by Flying Laughter on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:38 pm

I have been watching quite a few fast-speed face painting videos (not really tutorials just sped up painting with no narration). I few seem to use blush quite alot. They seem to be using powdered blush.

My questions are:

Do you use blush in your designs?
If so, which ones?
Do you recommend taking the time to blush?
What do you use for blush? Drugstore blush, pink starblend, other special stuff?

I really like the idea of blush and want to do it right.

Flying Laughter

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2012-01-04

http://flyinglaughter.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: ??? BLUSH ???

Post by fesspenter on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Dear Flying Laughter:
There is not one right way to do blush.
I use StarBlends and a Magicians' Ball to do blush.
(the Magicians' Ball is an extremely soft, round sponge ball that is used for magic tricks. It is SO soft, and I use them for children with sensory issues. While they are expensive, and i only use it once and then it gets washed, I have about ten of them.)
There is a FAB colour called Glitter Glam that is sparkly and a peachy colour that is also excellent for a blush effect.
Every response you will get regarding your question will be different... and they are ALL correct. Find the right way for you.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3323
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:04 am

i got some regular pink blush from my local sally's beauty supply, along with some eye shadows, to supplement my face paints. i am also planning on getting some regular lip gloss for lips. blush for rosy cheeks on girl designs.

i found face paint used as blush is tricky to blend sometimes and tends to be too bright. i also want to be able to use the eyeshadows for subtler makeup style design on older girls.

it can be used as a base, with face paint for linework over it. the blush or eyeshadows can be mixed with face paint or brushed on top to add shimmer, too.

pros -
* the eyeshadows have the sparkle and shimmer i prefer (starblends don't),
* they already have the proper makeup binders (straight mica powders like mehron gem powders, which i also have, don't),
* come in a wide range of colors and shades,
* are small and inexpensive enough to practice with,
* and i can pick them up whenever i want.
it's a win win.

cons -
* they are difficult to apply with just a brush (i don't care for sponges), it helps to scrape or crush them into powder and apply them wet, or mix with facepaint,
* they can be paler, so it depends on what you are trying to achieve. if you apply them wet, the colors are richer,
* they can be gritty, depending on the color
jlirie

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:48 am

OK fessy...... THANK YOU. I have a CASE of sponge balls and never thought of using them for face paint.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:04 am

Dearest Mr. Leaping:
Not only do those balls help sensory awareness people accept the sponged face painting...
the sponges make the perfect softly rounded blush shape on a face (or clown blush cheeks).  

You can take a hair elastic and tie it around the middle of the ball, to make a 'barbell' shape and create a smaller sponge for teeny, tiny cheeks.  I pull the hair ties off to wash the sponges.  I wash the hair ties loose in the same lingerie bag.

The magician's ball sponges are quite pricey where I am from.  They are $16 for four large balls, or $5 each.  Over the years I have purchased both the large and small sizes.

Happy Painting!!!

Last edited by fesspenter on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3323
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top