Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Festival Marquee / tent setup ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Festival Marquee / tent setup ideas

Post by bubbleblossom on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi All!

So my first festival is booked, its a few months off yet so I have time to prep it well. Ive been reading through the forums which has been helpful and inspiring thank you! I have decided that I would like my tent to be uncluttered (so, not alot of stuff) but still ... unique. Im not sure how to implement this... I was thinking of maybe hanging small things off the roof or something. I will be dressing up as tinkerbell as my business isnt just face painting. we do character perfomers as well, So being tink will show thats another aspect of my business. I was going to place a portable cd player in the tent and have disney music playing while i work (which wouldnt bother me at all, i love it, coz im weird like that) so that I could sing with the kids their fave songs while painting...but then I thought itd probably slow me down as its a distraction... so I scratched that Idea.

So other than being tinkerbell... what else do you think I could incorporate in my setup to show that little bit of difference? thanks for your ideas in advance!!
bubbleblossom

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-11-14

http://www.unrealkidsparties.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Festival Marquee / tent setup ideas

Post by fantasticalfaces.com on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Hello bubbleblossom~

If you're doing a festival that is expected to bring lots of kids, and if you have the space for it; bring an extra small table & chairs (like a square card table) and put out crayons & coloring books. (Disney coloring books would be a great tie-in to your theme.) I typically do this to help ease the tension of the kids who sometimes wait up to an hour to get their face painted at larger events.

Plus, to make things fun, I sometimes let the kids enter their color book creations into a contest~ with the winner getting a free 1-hour face painting party for up to 10 kids. (Restrictions being that date is subject to availability and parties that are over 20 miles in distance for me will incur mileage charges.)

This gives me some extra advertising, but also gets kids, who wouldn't otherwise, in to get their face painted, because they want to have a chance at the contest. I then hang up the entries on 1 wall of my tent as the kids complete them to show them off. (Not necessarily the whole "uncluttered" look you mentioned you wanted, but it does provide some nice whimsical ambiance.)

To make it easy to incorporate the whole coloring thing, I just hand out numbers so they don't have to wait in line. (I laminated 2 sets of business card sized numbers from 1-25 (like a pink set & a purple set). This way, they can feel at ease if they sit down to color because they won't lose their place in line.

Just my two cents anyway. I have had good success with this route and the parents appreciate it too, especial when their kids have extremely short attention spans.

Hope this helps. Smile

Happy New Year~

-tif-

fantasticalfaces.com

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-12-27

http://www.fantasticalfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 pm

playing music sounds good, just don't do the singing part Smile

to attract customers - big colorful sign, maybe one of those tall flag thingies? colorful decorations, can be simple like ribbons or balloons.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Not sure about the music.... I would worry about it driving the people in the line insane, or worse your neighboring vendors. I tried coloring books in the past. They get wrecked fast, walk away, and end up looking like messy clutter around your tent. Sad I like my tent to look as clean and neat as possible. Just my personal preference. Also you want the public to be in and out, not lingering, or worse using your coloring book tables as a free day care! Parents can get the wrong idea and think that it's a supervised area or something. Kids will wait ages for face painting when they won't wait for food. They will sit still for you but not their parents too. It's not our job as face painters to entertain the children while the wait, it's the parents job to teach the children that some things are worth waiting for. Wink 
About your tent display.

Two words. RAINBOW and MOVEMENT

You want to draw people in an grab attention, while at the same time identifying as a "Childrens Tent" (ie: stuff for kids).

1. Rainbow
Parents and most of all kids are already indoctrinated to know that rainbows mean kids stuff. You see in with Day Cares, Disneyland, Candy Shops, and of course Toys R Us among many more examples. Rainbow is eye catching and alluring to kids because of this reason, and also of course because - OMG colors!!

My 10 foot banner sign doesn't have any logo on it, no phone number, no website, no company name. Just FACE PAINTING in giant rainbow letters. All that other stuff can be found inside the tent, but that banner is the best investment ever. I can use it for ANY event, even ones where an entertainment company hired me and thus i can't use my own contact information. Wink 

Example:
Compare These Two Tents Signage

Omg.... so much info...

VS

Boom baby! Face painting in your face, for your face!

Again

can barely read the 2nd line....

VS

Omg! the Colors!

"But wait!" I hear you say to your computer screen, "What about the signs with the faces all over them, all that color. Surely that tells more then merely the banner sign?"

Good question face painting buckaroo!

Lets explore!

Example 1.

Here we have a tent with a small sign, and LOADS of design selection boards. There is no doubt as to what she's doing. It's definitely face painting.

VS

Now here is a very simple set up with one design board. But a large banner.

Yes very clear what each tent is offering. But wait.... lets back things up a bit. Take 50 steps back and look again.

"Ok, lets see what fun activity will make the kids stop bugging me for more then 5 minutes." - says a mom as she surveys the fair grounds from a distance.
"Ok so there's the playground, there's the porta-potties, there's the sausage truck, and Oh! Look! Face Painting! Clear as day!"

Make it big, choose a clear and legible font, and make it rainbow!

2. Movement
The next thing to be eye catching is movement of some kind.
Flags, pin wheels, dangling things, a bubble machine even!

On my sign are 2 rainbow pin wheels at the top of each banner pole. I also have hanging flowers in my tent. At night, nothing beats having light. When business is slow, i start blowing bubbles. Everyone always looks for the source of the bubbles, it's like the where's waldo of the festival.

Find something eye catching with movement and you are in the green!

***Disclaimer: if you are a face painter and one of these photos if of your tent, please know i'm not trying to be rude, everything is all in good humor. Also your signs and setups are lovely ^.^ this is just my opinion.***

Last edited by Forest-Fairy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:41 pm

thanks everyone youve been so helpful!

LOL @ Forest Fairy... you've got my kind of humour...which gets me into trouble often :-P

aahh decisions decisions!

I do currently have a small banner that fits on my facepainting table which would be inside the marquee and has our actual business name on it and contact details.... so getting rainbow face painting sign for the outside of the tent would be ideal, best of both worlds!

I still need to work on a pricing/here are your choices type board. since im relitavely new to facepainting i thought writing words instead of having pictures would give me room to breathe. So like "fairy" "butterfly" "spiderman" "dog" etc instead of photos or drawings of exactly what it looks like...

also still struggling with pricing but am working through it...

SO much to think about! Its amazing how little I thought of the whole face painting business before I was in it (in that, other than skill and supplies you dont need much else) pffft wrong.

you guys are all fantastic...thankyou!
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:44 am

lol thanks, it gets me in to trouble too some times Razz 

Yes inside the tent itself, i say plaster it with all your contact info for sure. Business cards, backdrop banners, design selection boards, table signs, printed shirts, even the tablecloth can be a sign. Put your name and number on EVERYTHING.

I'm right now working on a sign that will hang as the back 'wall' of our tent with all our info on it (like in that first photo). 

For pricing and design boards I actually have several different ones depending on the event I'm going to. I also have a smaller face painting sign for my small farmers market gigs where i only have an umbrella and not my 10x10 tent.

I have a double sided sandwich sign with black corrugated board with the designs on them held on with a little roll of tape stuck on the back of each picture. Highly recommend this as it's MUCH easier to update your sign as your designs change or you want to try new things. You simply pop off one photo/option and put another on. Smile 

I set it up in two different ways.

Option 1. Picture Sign

This one i use for pay per face events, like farmers markets, festivals, and occasionally at hosted events where I'm being paid to provide free painting to the public. Not for b-day parties, not enough room.
One side is full faces, the other side is smaller stuff.
Note the colored 'dots' on each photo, we'll get to that in a moment.

Option 2. Word Sign

*Note this photo isn't my sign, but I loved this sign so much i pretty much copied it lol.

My new word selection sign looks like this, and it works the same as the photo sign with being able to replace individual word cards. I was even able to make a Christmas themed one! Works great when you want to paint new things to get photos of, or if you don't want to restrict yourself to doing 'exactly' how the photo on the board looks. Wink 

Mine has two sides like the photo sign, one for 'Large Designs' and one for 'Small Designs'. If I'm feeling really creative or don't want to be restrictive with the selections I have two other cards that say. "Surprise Me!" and "(Your Idea)".

Best part is I have them double sided, so All i need to do is flip the boards around to show the pictures, or the words. ^.^ Saved on materials. Just make sure to cover the photos in some way if you don't want to show them. I have kids trying to look under my sandwich sign all the time to see the photos on the other side lol. 

3. THE BOOK
I also have a book full of designs. I use 9 pocket page protectors to hold them (the same ones used by baseball card collectors). Again I'm able to easily switch out my old designs for new ones with this method. I bring the book to birthday parties mostly, and also have it for pay per face events. But NEVER at free events, good God no. 
Remember those dots I told you about? Well they are in the book too at the bottom corner of each design.  By themselves they mean nothing, but when I'm at a pay per face gig they work with my Price Sign.

Simple Each color is a different price Wink 

None of my prices are set in stone on the sign either, I have it laminated so it's actually a dry erase board. This way I can change the prices depending on where I am. ie: the more well off areas of town the prices are higher, poorer area's the prices are lower. Mainly the rich get my regular prices and the poor get a discount. Keeps the chair full. Smile 

I also have signs that say "FREE" , "By Donation", and even "Free courtesy of -who ever is paying me-".

The most important sign is the one that says children must be accompanied by an adult, followed by your health and sanitation disclaimer (ie: don't paint sick kids). I also state on the same sign that all my products are cosmetic.

But my favorite sign?

The what I have come to call my 'no. Sign'
Seen here in the bottom right hand corner.

God I love that little sign. Made it myself as kind of a joke really lol. But it has REALLY helped with kids not touching my stuff, and helps tp remind parents to remind their kids not to touch my stuff either. Stuff touching dropped by 90% since I made that sign. Best. Sign. Ever.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by fantasticalfaces.com on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 am

You make some very good points Forest-Fairy & I totally see where you're coming from about the coloring books. I never really thought about it from that perspective; it's definitely some food for thought.

Though, I haven't had any issues (yet) with kids lingering or parents leaving kids unattended for the coloring books... (Perhaps my handing out numbers is what makes it more "official" that the coloring is only there for kids who are "paying" customers.) I may have to reconsider pulling that from my arsenal, as you're right, that could be fuel, for lack of a better term, for "free loaders".

I love the set up ideas you shared too. Some great ideas I hadn't seen before ~ I may have to borrow some of them. Smile (I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bubble idea!)

Your feedback is much appreciated Forest-Fairy. And with the advise you provided, I think bubbleblossom has some fun things to think about for her festival set-up. I look forward to seeing some pictures. Smile

Happy New Year to you both.

-tif-
fantasticalfaces.com

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-12-27

http://www.fantasticalfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:52 am

Thank you. ^.^

If it works for you with no issues then that's great. I just remember when i did it years ago my books got all torn up with kids tearing pages out, and parents try to use me as a babysitter enough as it is, so i don't want to risk encouraging them :/ But also I notice when ever I'm set up next to games or crafts what happens is the kids will craft while the parents wait in line. This creates 2 things i don't like:
1. The kids will game/craft until the last possible moment and i end up having to wait for the parents to call them over into the chair. Gah! Time is money.
2. I think this is spoiling the child to much. Teaches them mum will do EVERYTHING for them all the time. Tie their shoes, comb their hair, and even wait in line for them for something the kid wants. These kids i find don't sit as still because they lack patience. They haven't been waiting nicely like the other kids. Of all the things they get in life, they even get thier waiting done for them. *rolls eyes* call me old fashioned. Razz

Anyway! Thanks for the compliments! Welcome to the forum tif! As you can see I'm the one who writes novel's and attempts to pass them off as posts lol.

Glad you like the bubble idea. That one's on the house. Wink
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:23 am

ROFL @ FOREST FAIRY... is that... a.... TROLL FACE on your no touching sign???? bahahaha.... i need it in my life. on my display... like now. im going to make that sign and print it. forget the rest of the display..thats all i need. haha.thankyou..

seriously though, youve been incredibly helpful, everyone has. I really do have SO much to think about.

went browsing for marquees today. 3x3 seems to be the going size, but it seems much too big for me. going to look for a reasonably priced 2x2.

still not sure what kind of sign im going to have but i think words will be a safe bet for me as a beginner haha
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:35 am

some face painters also use a word board with a small face paint sample design by the word to illustrate it, kind of a two-fer.  

the sample design gives people a visual, without committing you to specific versions of the designs.

here's a link to a nice one that vinnie, another forum member, posted on another thread -

http://i59.servimg.com/u/f59/16/69/29/48/board11.jpg

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t16604-word-board-verses-painted-designs-for-events?highlight=vinnie+board

if you search for word board or picture board in the search box on the forum, you will find several threads discussing the topic.

Last edited by jlirie on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add links)
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:54 am

bubbleblossom wrote:ROFL @ FOREST FAIRY... is that... a.... TROLL FACE on your no touching sign???? bahahaha.... i need it in my life. on my display... like now. im going to make that sign and print it. forget the rest of the display..thats all i need. haha.thankyou..

lol, yeah pretty much, it's one of the many 'meme faces' 

The one on my sign is called the 'Rage Face'.

When kids or parents ask me about it i call it "The Stink Eye" and say it's the face I make when some one touches my stuff. Razz

Glad you like it so much. If you like, here's a printable version of it.
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
All I ask is that you keep my water mark on it, since it was made by me, and it doesn't take away from the image. ^.^
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:34 am

Lol thank you! Yes I've seen it on many memes, hubby and I for some reason call a few of them a "troll face" lol don't know why.
Thanks for the printout!
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by danieshouseoffun on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:27 pm

wow so much info from just reading. I don't even need to ask any question
danieshouseoffun

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-12-05

http://danieshouseoffun.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreativeFacesBerkshire on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:21 pm

great posts everyone , im hopefully going to get a white tent and i plan on using suitable outdoor paints to paint it myself.
CreativeFacesBerkshire

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-01-22

http://creativefacesberkshire.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:27 pm

CreativeFacesBerkshire wrote:great posts everyone , im hopefully going to get a white tent and i plan on using suitable outdoor paints to paint it myself.

ANYTHING BUT WHITE!!

Seriously, you wouldn't think it, but it's a dirt magnet. A few times being torn down and packed up and put up again, and it gets dirty FAST. Get any other color and the dirt isn't as noticeable. Wink
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top