Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello from Merseyside UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Merseyside UK

Post by Deb_ThePaintedFace on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:28 am

Hi Guys! I am VERY new to face painting, started in Dec 2014 and have been practising most eves and weekends. I am looking to start properly come the new tax year (April 2015). I have bought most of my supplies and keep adding to them. I am using Snazaroo and DFX currently.

I am married with 2 daughters - perfect to practise my designs on! Very Happy

But I am looking for hints/ tips and best practise really and to share designs and ideas.

My main 'Go to' has been You tube, but then I found this lovely forum.

I have a facebook page set up but i'm not allowed to post the link just yet, but when I can I would love some feedback from you all. The page is mainly for friends and family to see my progress and then its there for when I actually start my business.

Anyways, I hope to chat and gain valuable experience from you all soon

Deb xx

Last edited by Deb_ThePaintedFace on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cannot see colour)
Deb_ThePaintedFace

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-01-18

http://www.instagram.com/the_painted_face

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Merseyside UK

Post by jlirie on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 pm

hi and welcome, deb Smile. looking forward to seeing more of your work.

i would recommend starting out with good supplies - especially brushes and paints. if you practice with supplies that work well, you will get better faster.

if you search the forum, you will find lots of good info on these items, some popular recommendations are -
loew cornell 7000 series, gold grip, and flora brushes, also short bristle flat brushes for split cakes,
tag, wolfe, and dfx for linework, paradise for bases (not too bad for details, either), people who have tried them like the newer cameleon and global colours face paints, too.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1756
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb_ThePaintedFace on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi 😊 thanks so much for the info.

I have some dfx white and some dfx one strokes. My base colours are snazaroo at the moment, but im finding they tend to fade/crack and are not really vibrant. I've figured out how to put the link to my fb under my avatar so hopefully you guys can see that x
Deb_ThePaintedFace

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:53 pm

many of us started out using snazaroo, and the 2 most common complaints are that they are difficult to use for clean lines and details, and they tend not to be as vivid as other brands.

i have a bunch of snazaroo sparkle and electric colors, some of which are pretty good - red, orange, gold (yellowish), and turquoise in particular, as well as sparkle white and electric black.  i think the pink is not too bad, either.

but i got the paradise brilliant palette (metallics) and the colors are brighter, so i am enjoying practicing with them.

i have also realized eye catching designs tend to have a good contrast between bright or light colors and dark ones, so you can try that with the snaz and see if it helps.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb_ThePaintedFace on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Appreciate your advice x
Deb_ThePaintedFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!

Snazaroo is a glycerin based paint, so they take a little longer to dry - which can be good as it gives you more time to blend. I find most times they are not a opaque as wax based paints. Which brings me to DFX, it's a wax based paint, you'll probably notice you have issues with painting your snaz paints over your DFX, that is because of the different bases. The DFX color will usually just plow right through your Snaz colors. BUT, luckily the reverse is not true, as wax base tends to go over top of glycerin base fairly well. Best advice if you want to keep mixing bases and not switch to just having a single base of paints is to buy a wax based black and white - as they are the most used colors to go over top of other colors.

I also find Snaz to have a short shelf life, and be a little 'chalky'. It doesn't seem to take long before they are cracking in the containers and looking all old and crappy. They still work when they are like this, but I like my station to look neat and tidy as much as possible. Re-potting should solve that problem if it ever creeps up though.

Your work is quite good! Good technique I don't see in many beginners. LOVE your Grinch face btw. Now to try it out on more wiggly kids, am i right?! Razz

jlirie is right, good supplies from the start really help propell you. Check out my blog post My 5 Favorite Things From My Face Painting Kit if you are interested, in my top picks. Wink

Any questions, don't be shy to post a new topic in the FAQ, General Face Painting, or the New to Face Painting sections of the forum!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Deb_ThePaintedFace on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Thank you. I knew signing up here would be good :-) x
Deb_ThePaintedFace

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Dear Deb_ThePaintedFace:
Welcome to the Forum!
There are collective years of knowledge shared on these threads. There is a place to post and share your work with a kind, warm, non-judgemental audience in the thread "Show and Tell". There is a game of Face Paint Tag going on in the thread "Tag! You Are It!"

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3325
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:11 pm

forest-fairy, thanks for mentioning the protege brushes by name on your link, couldn't remember them. need to get some..but already have too many longer flats.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:03 pm

I cycled my longer flats to my crafting brush collection. Im never going back lol.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top