Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Best setup to draw a lot of eyepatches?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best setup to draw a lot of eyepatches?

Post by securitywyrm on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm currently planning an event with "competing" tables of "team ninja" and "team pirate" with two individuals "competing" (it's an act) to get more people to swear allegiance to their side.

The current plan is to reward folks with fabric costumes made on the cheap. Pirates get a cheesecloth headband, ninjas get a mask (Two triangles of black fabric). However I'd also like to be able to offer the pirate folks a painted-on eyepatch, as a physical eyepatch would just get thrown away after the novelty wears off.

The two options I see are an airbrush system and a brush system. Fortunately the location would have both a power outlet and a nearby indoor bathroom for water supply, so I won't have issues getting water to clean brushes and sponges. I'd be doing just a simple black eyepatch and possibly a scar on the opposite side if requested.

I was looking at the Palmer paints from DickBlick? They have great reviews on that site but the only Palmer product on Amazon has terrible reviews. Does anyone have experience with this specific brand?

If the Palmer paints don't work, I wouldn't mind shelling out for a small air compressor and airbrush, since I'd only have to use one color. Is there anything I need to know about airbrush systems? One question I had was: just what will it do to someone if they open their eye while I'm spray-painting over it?
securitywyrm

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Best setup to draw a lot of eyepatches?

Post by rthling on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Palmer is a bad word.
Try Snazaroo. You can get it at Joann Fabric, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or by clicking the banner at the top of the forum page, which takes you to the face paint forum shop.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Is this the Free Face painting you were talking about?
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by securitywyrm on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Kal wrote:Is this the Free Face painting you were talking about?

It's the current version of it, yes.
securitywyrm

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 pm

I'd go with the Palmer then Wink
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 pm

palmer is a bad word. i used it when i first did some face painting where it was the paint provided. it cracks, is tight, and is dull.

snazaroo would be better, it is considered a professional face paint, though not as good as other professional brands.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1756
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Kal, you crack me up.
rthling

Back to top Go down

Post by securitywyrm on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:53 pm

jlirie wrote:palmer is a bad word. i used it when i first did some face painting where it was the paint provided. it cracks, is tight, and is dull.  

snazaroo would be better, it is considered a professional face paint, though not as good as other professional brands.

The price I see for Snazaroo black is $8.50 for 18 mililiters. Do you dissolve it in water before painting with it, or is that the raw paint? How many generic eyepatches would that much face paint be able to produce?
securitywyrm

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 am

Oh, good God, man. Go look on YouTube.
rthling

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 am

you wet your brush and swipe it on the face paint until it is liquid enough to paint with, but not runny.

don't let the price fool you, one cake that size lasts practically forever.

snazaroo does have it's drawbacks, the main complaint being that the paint can start to flake off after a couple hours on a person's face. but for starters it's not bad.

this is where it goes when you want professional results from face painting, you really have to invest in the better paints and brushes, which are more expensive.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 am

rthling wrote:Oh, good God, man. Go look on YouTube.

yup
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm

rthling wrote:Kal, you crack me up.

Laughing pirat

I started with Walmart (Palmer equivalent) paint and dollar tree brushes, I don't see the problem.
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by securitywyrm on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:10 pm

jlirie wrote:you wet your brush and swipe it on the face paint until it is liquid enough to paint with, but not runny.

don't let the price fool you, one cake that size lasts practically forever.

snazaroo does have it's drawbacks, the main complaint being that the paint can start to flake off after a couple hours on a person's face. but for starters it's not bad.

this is where it goes when you want professional results from face painting, you really have to invest in the better paints and brushes, which are more expensive.

Thanks! I found conflicting information when searched for how good it was. I'll buy one on amazon now and do some self-testing.

Another question: I understand now how having someone wipe down their face with an alcohol wipe would be a bad idea, but what about a wet-nap? I ask because the folks at this event tend to be a bit... unwashed.
securitywyrm

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Wet-naps are alcohol wipes. Soap and water work wonders, you're painting at a mud wrestling tournament.
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissiemarie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:39 pm

The Walmart near me sells snaz
Krissiemarie

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbykristina

Back to top Go down

Post by missmolly on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Get a small spray bottle from the dollar store, fill it with plain clean water.

Spritz a piece of paper towel (you could cut these in half and put them in a container or use the full sheet, 1 per person) and wipe down the areas you will be painted that will be messy.

This works on getting cake and pizza off kid's faces.

You can use a second spray bottle with a drop of unscented liquid soap, but also have one of pure water on hand to follow it up. The issue with adding a drop of soap to the water is you don't want to accidentally cause any allergic reactions, water should work just fine in the majority of cases.

Also, please take extra care when painting so close and/or on people's eyes. If your paint is too wet it will drip into their eyes, and keep in mind that not all people want to have their eyes painted. The best thing to do is practice as much as possible on your own face and your arm before painting at an event, even if you are painting for free.

missmolly

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2014-04-20

http://www.kookyclowns.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by securitywyrm on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:36 pm

kookyclowns wrote:Get a small spray bottle from the dollar store, fill it with plain clean water.

Spritz a piece of paper towel (you could cut these in half and put them in a container or use the full sheet, 1 per person) and wipe down the areas you will be painted that will be messy.

This works on getting cake and pizza off kid's faces.

You can use a second spray bottle with a drop of unscented liquid soap, but also have one of pure water on hand to follow it up. The issue with adding a drop of soap to the water is you don't want to accidentally cause any allergic reactions, water should work just fine in the majority of cases.

Also, please take extra care when painting so close and/or on people's eyes. If your paint is too wet it will drip into their eyes, and keep in mind that not all people want to have their eyes painted. The best thing to do is practice as much as possible on your own face and your arm before painting at an event, even if you are painting for free.

So noted. It's planned to be just an outline of an eyepatch around the actual eye, so I don't plan to go below the eybrow in terms of closeness to the eyeball. Another option that has come up is that instead of doing the eyepatch, we do a few scars on the cheeks and chin. Much less liability, and it also presents the option of using a quick stencil and an airbrush.
securitywyrm

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:14 pm

In the spirit of being helpful, honest and adding humor (which everyone knows me for), here are the answers you seek.

1. You do not need an entire airbrush system just to paint single color eye patches.

2. Close your eyes. Now have Joyous Occasion blow air at your eye. Did you flinch and squint a bit? That's normal, that's what EVERYONE does. What will happen is that the paint from the airbrush will not get into the little cracks and wrinkles around the eye as it's flinching, and then you will have to go over with a brush any way. Even in the movie biz with airbrush makeup, this is the case. Just use a brush.

3. "just what will it do to someone if they open their eye while I'm spray-painting over it?"
I'll give you 3 guess's....

4. What kind of paint exactly do you think you use with an airbrush? You can't just buy any old face paint, water it down and expect it to run through an airbrush lol. No, you need airbrush ready paint, it's a specialty item, and if you think snazaroo is too expensive for the amount you get, you're going to sh!t yourself when you see the price tag for airbrush body paint lol.

5. Far many noobs before you have looked at the airbrush and thought "that looks so easy! I can do that"
Do me a favor... look at this photo.

How easy does it seem now? To clean any airbrush you have to know how to take them apart and reassemble them. And that's just the airbrush. Do you know how to empty the moisture trap on the compressor? How to trouble shoot your airbrush? Do you know the proper PSI for airbrushing on human skin? or even the face? Do you know what PSI means?

Skip the airbrush, you don't need it anyway.

6. If you are worried about liability issues the last thing you want to be doing is airbrushing near peoples eyes. Leave this to the professionals, and 'hobbists'. Wink 

Also on the package that stuff clearly says to keep away from the eyes.... not very good for making eye patches then is it...

8. "The price I see for Snazaroo black is $8.50 for 18 mililiters. Do you dissolve it in water before painting with it, or is that the raw paint?"

buddy.... it's not an Alka-Seltzer...

9. "what about a wet-nap?"
They are pretty much the same thing. Also they have oils in them, and your paint is water base. What does science tell us about trying to mix oil and water again?

10. "just an outline of an eyepatch around the actual eye, so I don't plan to go below the eybrow in terms of closeness to the eyeball."
If you are going to paint an eye patch, then paint an eye patch. Painting a circle around the eye is self defeating and will only make your pirates look more like Pete The Pup from the little rascals. 

Great for a puppy face, but no so much on the pirate side.

Why can't you just look all this up exactly?

There are tons of resources out there besides this forum that would answer all your questions, then you could save the forum for your more specific questions.

Solution:
Step 1. Buy several #10 filbert brushes with synthetic bristles (look it up).
Step 2. Buy one cake of Snazaroo black face paint and hand sanitizer.
Step 3. Get 3 glass jars, 2 for water, and 1 for 70% alcohol (1 for rinse water, 1 for sanitizing, one for clean water)
Step 4. Practice on Joyous Occasion since she is unlikely to sue you if you poke her in the eye, (though i don't know the full nature of your relationship).
Step 5. Repeat step 4, but while Joyous Occasion is drunk. This will help simulate a moving target who doesn't hold still.
Step 6. Bring everything to the event and paint.

Ta da.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyous Occasion on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Forest-Fairy wrote:
Step 4. Practice on Joyous Occasion since she is unlikely to sue you if you poke her in the eye, (though i don't know the full nature of your relationship).

lol! If he were to damage my eye, he would have to take care of me since it may affect my career as a Dental Assistant. But I may never know about performing it with one eye unless I try.

Forest-Fairy wrote:Step 5. Repeat step 4, but while Joyous Occasion is drunk. This will help simulate a moving target who doesn't hold still.

Sadly I don't drink. Sad  I could get hyper off the sugar from his candy he hands out though. bounce

By the way, you could just call me "Joy" for the short of it. Smile
Joyous Occasion

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2015-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyphoid on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:13 pm

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use an airbrush on anybodies face (especially around their eyes), unless you have been formally trained by a licensed instructor or hold a degree in makeup artistry.

That was the big one.

Stick to using a paintbrush as you will have a greater degree of control over your line work and less issues with people flinching.  

securitywyrm wrote:"just what will it do to someone if they open their eye while I'm spray-painting over it?"
Short Answer: You will blind them. Then they will need a real eye patch.

As you intend to be giving people eye patches, which involves painting directly over someones eye lid, I would highly recommend purchasing a professional grade of face paint. (A reputable and affordable brand is Snazaroo)

As for the sanitation of cleaning people's faces, I will refer you to this blog, as it should answer all your questions regarding this topic.
4 Reasons Wet Wipes Are Bad For Face Painting

I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited by Xyphoid on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xyphoid

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 pm

did you guys all kiss and make up while i was at work today?!
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes they did... It was disgusting and they should all be flogged vigorously.
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 pm

this event - unwashed mud wrestling pirates??
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Jlirie, to me it was never a fight. I have no problems answering peoples questions if they have them.... 

Though I'm not the type of person to tolerate people talking to me like JO did and calling me names (and other reasons). I'm not a doormat.

So, 'Joy' if you could stop talking to me
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:13 pm

In case you were wondering what to get me for my birthday tomorrow, Forest-Fairy...

I love Memes....

I especially love reaaaaally funny Memes....

And I absolutely adore reaaaaaally funny Memes with my name in them....

Not that that was a hint or anything....

And whoever hasn't friended me on Facebook better get to it, snap-snap (but please let me know who you are from the forum through a private message - or else I may not accept your request)

Happy Birthday to me...
Happy Birthday to me...
Etc., etc., etc.,...

p.s. I'll be driving on the road all day tomorrow in Zelda, my gypsy face paint motorhome, so I won't see your posts until tomorrow night.

Happy Birthday to me...
Happy Birthday to me...
Happy Birthday to meeeee....
Happy Birthday to me.
pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top