Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Best setup to draw a lot of eyepatches?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Best setup to draw a lot of eyepatches?

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Noted. I'm not it.

Would love to add you to FB but.....

Link not working!!!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by securitywyrm on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:45 am

In regards to advice

I've given up on the eye patch. It's just too much liability for this sort of event, which has sue-happy Californians.
In regards to "unwashed" the debut event for this is Fanime, which has a lot of unwashed anime fans who think axe deodorant is a substitute for showering. Fortunately since there will be nearby water, just using water and a paper towel is the best option. I didn't realize wetnaps were a brand, I thought just "fabric with water on it" was a wet nap. Learn something new every day.
I already ordered some black snazaroo paint and some synthetic bristle brushes. I got the "P Brush Princeton Series 9000 Brown Handled Brush, Set of 7" brushes off Amazon. Should I pass those on to my artist sister and get the specific brand mentioned or will those work?
Just to clarify: Where it says 70% alcohol, that's isopropyl alcohol, correct?
While I've handled far more complex disassembly and cleaning in the military, I'll hold off on getting an airbrush.

So here's the revised plan

1. Pirates can get a scar painted on their cheek. Simple, away from the eye, and I'll probably even use a stencil to make them consistent.
2. I'm trying to find more of the thin stretchy fabric I use for my own pirate headgear, as if the fabric doesn't breathe then people won't wear it.
3. Once I have the major fabric secured, I'll also go to the fabric store and get "accent pieces" of various fabrics to cut into 2 foot by 2 inch strips for folks to use as a headband to distinguish themselves. Camouflage, hello kitty, primary colors, etc. This can be any fabric and I'll probably raid the heck out of the clearance rack.

I do have respect for face painters, particularly in their patience, because people squirm and don't know what they want and will look at a mirror and scream "YOU DID IT BACKWARDS!" I understand that practice is far more important than equipment when it comes to painting, unfortunately I'm in a situation where I have more money than time.
securitywyrm

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:00 am

You could also look into daubers (sponge brush) which are less scary then a pointy stick at their eye--Look below.  Get a big enough one and you could smash it against their (closed) eye and draw two small lines coming off it and be done---or draw a swirly mustache? (you can buy eyeliner pencils at the dollar store for a super cheap way) Even faster than a scar!  

This brush?

amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 am

Thought you were using some UK style term for 'wet wipes' also called 'baby wipes'. In the UK 'nappies' are some type of absorbent cloth or diaper.

Looked up your brushes..... 90% of them are pretty small. It's a common mistake for beginners to think you need tiny brushes for everything. Also they are all flats... You really want to get some rounds if you want to do the scar method, you'll get better lines and dots.

No need to order online, just walk into a craft store and say "I'm looking for a #3 or #4 short handled round brush with synthetic bristles.

That one brush will be all you need. Seriously.

Yes, isopropyl alcohol. I wasn't suggesting you dunk your brush in moonshine.

HA! A real gun is easier to assemble then an airbrush, and you have less trouble shooting too lol. A gun you only have so many little pieces - airbrushes = ALL little pieces.

You really need a stencil to draw this?

I know people joke about 'not even being able to draw a straight line', but I didn't think any were serious. It's a line with dots... just practice a bunch on your arm and you'll be fine. You really just want to take short cuts don't you... why the aversion to practicing anything, most of all something so simple?

Can't help ya with the fabric part of your plan.

Squirming isn't really an issue 9 times out of ten, and I've never had some one yell at me for what I painted for them. I had one person say I spelled a name backwards once. I think i painted "I <3 Edward" or something, I had to point out to them that they were looking at it in a mirror.... it took them a moment to figure it out. (Twi-hards are never the brightest ones it seems)

No, I have patience merely for the fact that I work with children. All types of children... all the time, and you CAN'T get frustrated because it's you are not just being paid to paint, you are being paid to smile.

Honestly though if your entire plan changed from painting faces, to painting eye patches, and not you are just going to paint a simple scar.... just go your local drug store, and buy some cheap eye liner. No need for face paint, brushes or anything really. All you need do to keep it sanitary between people is give it a light sharpening with a pencil sharpener. 

Simple. Done.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:42 am

Well, unfortunately, face painting isn't one of those things you can spend more money on, than time.
Don't get me wrong, you can spend a boatload of money.
But if you have no time to spend on practice, you may as well hand the brush over to the paint-ee and just stand there, holding the mirror for them.
They will do a fine job of it.
As with any skill, face painting is a LEARNED art.
Even simple lines take a little practice.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 am

I think if you are wanting to do an eyepatch, get a black Starblend and a lollipop swab. It is a powder based make-up put on with a foam tipped applicator and then all you need is a black paint to outline with. Go to this page and you will see the Starblends and the lollipops.

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1855

DebbieB

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 am

I've been yelled at before, because I don't know what colors the specific ninja turtles wear. I've painted like 5 kids the wrong color turtle. I swear 3 of them told me a different color when I started and then changed their mind halfway through Sad

You can't paint a scar backwards.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:42 am

The eyeliner idea would work very nicely for a small scar and so much easier if you don't have time to practice. It won't look as "real" as you can get with paint, but you don't have the time to work on technique anyways.

IMHO
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:08 am

not to complicate things, but if you want to do a realistic scar (cut skin with dried blood and scar tissue) you'll want red, brown, and white, also pink but you can blend red & white.

google images of real scars and practice duplicating the effect.

you can get a snazaroo palette that includes these colors at michaels. use a 40% off coupon and it should be around $10-$12.

you are already putting in time, effort, and money to be an entertainer, might as well be as pro as you can with the face painting part, you'll enjoy it in the end.

for a scar - paint  a line in red or pink that's mostly straight but has a bit of a curve or a wiggle. paint a second line next to it to make the scar slightly open if you want, connecting the ends. kind of like a long crescent moon.

paint brown along the edges to simulate dried blood. then add white along part of the edges to simulate scar tissue. blend and smudge the colors a bit as you go, to get a realistic, damaged look.

go over the scar and add some fine lines in the 3 colors, for detail.

add white sutures across the scar if you want, outline and smudge them with a little red and brown for dried blood.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Here's a visual aid that goes with jlirie's advice

Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 pm

whoa! that's frightening! and very good.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:30 am

It takes 4 minutes and is one of my top boy sellers.
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:05 am

yeah, probably never going to have a girl ask for that. i know, i know, sexist, but mostly true. unless you do it in pink and purple and add glitter Razz
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 am

Actually I have had quite a few girls ask for it lol
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:04 pm

that's a riot!
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Where I'm from girls without battle scars are less awesome Wink
Kal

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 pm

i kinda figured..me, i'm not so much the gory kind, but i can appreciate kick butt things on others.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 pm

a little something else for the kiddies - spiny orb weaver spider

jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:16 am

yeah--just a quick little design ... NOT!

This thread is cracking me up!

I really hope you post few pictures from your event!
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top