Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Starting out, how much paint to buy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starting out, how much paint to buy

Post by AllInFunAmusements on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Everyone, We want to start adding Face Painting to our business, and have a question. For someone starting out how many colors and what size paint should we buy? Were thinking enough to practice with and then do maybe one party to see how it goes. Before stocking up on more. I see the paint sizes range from 2ml to 30ml and not sure how far that goes. I tried doing a forum search but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for any info you can throw are way!

AllInFunAmusements

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting out, how much paint to buy

Post by jlirie on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:32 pm

wise approach. the 2 ml sizes (some are larger) are the ones in the starter palettes. they usually have 6-8 colors, some can have 12.

the total of all colors in a palette is about the size of one or two 30 ml cakes.

the 30 ml are full size cakes, sold individually. some are single colors, others are one stroke and rainbow cakes (multiple colors), or split cakes (2 colors).

how long they last depends a little on their ingredients, some last longer than others.

generally speaking, 30 ml is rated to give 150-several hundred designs depending on the size of the design.

there are also 45 ml and 90 ml sizes for high volume face painting.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by AllInFunAmusements on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 pm

If you were doing a birthday party at someone home, would a starter pallet of 12 2ml colors be enough? thinking 15 - 20 kids.  At this point I am leaning towards buying 2 of the Snazaroo 28 color 2ml kits plus glitter etc.  I figure one to use to practice then one to do a party.  If it goes well we can use invest some more money.  Does that sound like a sound idea?

AllInFunAmusements

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm

yep. a starter palette will easily do that many kids.

don't get snazaroo - it's difficult to get clean lines and details with because of the clayey texture, colors are duller than other brands, and it flakes off after a couple hours.

best to start out with good face paints, your practice and designs will look much better.  order a palette in a brand like wolfe, tag, dfx, cameleon, paradise, or global.  

if you like, some of them are available through the forum shop, see the banner at the top of the page.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by AllInFunAmusements on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice, didn't even see the banner for the forum store. We just ordered the 30 color palette of paradise. Looking forward to adding face painting to our business.

AllInFunAmusements

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:48 pm

have fun practicing! look up face painting designs on google images and study the good ones and try to duplicate them. there are also some good face painters on Youtube.

and there is a lot of info on this forum of people's experiences with face paint brands and colors, techniques, set up, etc.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Mehron is a good starter brand, and their sampler kit will give you LOTS of designs before you run out. Plenty at least to decide if it's something you want to keep in your business and upgrade.

If you decide to keep face painting, then upgrade to the 12 color pallet of 32gm cakes, these last ages. Stock up on white and black as they are the first colors you run out of, followed by red then pink. I'll usually run out of two 90gm whites and a 90gm black before I need to replace a 32gm red. Just to give an idea.

Remember to get synthetic bristle brushes, as they work best for face painting!

Anything else you need to know, don't hesitate to ask.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by AllInFunAmusements on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks for all the advice. Were waiting for our paint now, cant wait to get started!

AllInFunAmusements

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:13 pm

You may want to buy a white and black in a brand like Wolfe DFX, Tag or Cameleon, as paradise is great for blending and bases, not so good on crisp line work. I also recommend some good brushes to start with, like the Lowe Cornell #3 gold grip for lines and I love a #6 7000c for dots and teardrops.
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top