Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What CHAIR/S do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What CHAIR/S do you use?

Post by The SmartArt Hut on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:25 am

Hi all
What folding chair do you guys use? Do you have the children sit or stand...
I am currently using folding chairs, but this is killing my back Smile
Thanks in advance!

The SmartArt Hut

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What CHAIR/S do you use?

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 am

I use whatever the client provides for face painting. I sit and they sit.

If I'm doing make up at theatre, night clubs or weddings I use my own high chairs

https://www.facebook.com/ShannonFennell.MakeUp/photos/a.532816920105908.1073741825.191063437614593/532824863438447/?type=3&theater

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 am

I stand and use a tall stool for the child to sit on.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahw on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm quite tall, 6"3, and haven't figured this one out yet! Have previously used client's chairs and bent over, but am about to invest in my own setup and not sure what to do!

For me, a high chair for the client and standing would be too high to be safe.... but when in normal chairs, I have to pull the chair very close then move it back again afterwards so the child can get out.

Am thinking about a lower stool for me and slightly higher chair for the client...
sarahw

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-12-28

http://sarahwinch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by securitywyrm on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Perhaps a massage table with a thin headrest so you have their head stationary, then you lay on your back on a plank hung beneath it.

Joking aside, kids wriggle around a lot so anything that can restrict their movement might be useful.
securitywyrm

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:12 pm

I use IKEA tall folding chairs. They are pretty minimal, and not too hard to transport. My only complaint is that they don't stay folded.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:13 pm

securitywyrm wrote:kids wriggle around a lot so anything that can restrict their movement might be useful.

Oh i know just the thing!

All honesty, no, you don't need anything to restrict their movement, wouldn't want to scare them. Kids spook easily. Really after a year doing face painting you tend not to notice small movements at all, even big jigger bugs, i can go with the flow. It's only the REALLY bad ones that urk me now. We're talkin' sudden fast head movement, or the weighted chin syndrome where they just look at their toes and can't seem to put their chins up.

I use some pretty advanced chair technology for my setup. Check these out...

Light weight, comfortable, and fold-able. Aryn used to use one to put the kid in, but has since switched to this

He's a tall guy, so this puts the kids at the perfect height for him.

We both work while sitting, because even in a tall chair we found ourselves stooping over to reach the short kids. Now we focus on maintaining good posture, and turning into a hairpin.
- Have your station on the side of your dominant hand
- Have all your main tools close to you, so there is less reaching
- Keep your back straight
- Step back, and realize there is no need to be a mere 4 inches from the face while you paint.

Most important part is having the model sit properly.

- Pull the chair close (personal space bubbles are N/A when face painting)
- Models: No leaning back in the chair
- Sit on your Bum
- Sit fully on the chair, no hover bumming it on the edge
- Chin UP
- Don't be shy to ask the model to turn their face as you need access to each side. DO NOT lean over to each side when you can get the model to easily turn their head.

I pretty much never have back problems now. Occasionally right shoulder issues from time to time from the perpetual hover arm over many hours but all painters get that.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:15 pm

I put the wigglers in a headlock from behind. Their Mothers get a giant kick out of it.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The SmartArt Hut on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Haha I must admit I paint with my right hand with my left hand placed on top of the childs head so I can turn it any way I need too hahaha :-)
Thanks guys!

The SmartArt Hut

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:58 pm

SmartArtHut I usually put my hand under their chin to  help keep their head up and turn their head any direction. But I'm a shortie Razz
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:06 pm

The SmartArt Hut wrote:Haha I must admit I paint with my right hand with my left hand placed on top of the childs head so I can turn it any way I need too hahaha :-)
Thanks guys!

You can see in my avatar that I do the same thing.
I always gently stroke the jumpy, squinty ones very gently on the forehead, or beside their eye, to get them to relax.
Works like a charm.
It's a mom thing, I think.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:45 pm

I've done that too Diane, some times it's works. Razz

Oh yeah big reason I big my own table and chairs for (nearly) every gig is I like my set up to be consistent. It throws me off a little if i'm on a smaller table, or if Aryn and I are set up on a table longer then 6ft then we are too far away to pass things like stencils, or if you took the red to do a spiderman and didn't put it back, lol.

Or being setup on a round table.... ick. I have had people try to set me up on tv trays pushed together, and other rinky dink tables. I've been given those fabric camping chairs for my set up which are TERRIBLE. One time I was given a set up with a stool for the kid, and chair whose seat was less then a foot off the ground. And a few times people at parties have pointed to a Fisher Price plastic kids table and chairs, and said "will this work?"... and no... there was no alternative. *face palm*

I don't care how happy that mom looks in the stock photo, make her face paint with this set up and see how her back feels.

Some people are so thick. "Yes, I might be doing a childrens activity, but that doesn't make me the size of a child too!" o.O 

I bring my own table and chairs from now on. No headaches. Smile
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:55 pm

I stand to paint.
I bring my telescoping director's chair to events where I am ONLY painting children. It folds up small enough to take on the subway, on those very few occasions when I am painting downtown at a Blue Jays game at a private box. (The parking is $45-$50!!!!! during the games!!!). It is $3 to take the subway.
I bring my folding director's chair with a fold down side table for events with adults. It is sturdier than the telescoping chair. It is extremely awkward to carry, as it only folds, it does not telescope.
Both chairs have a full back, so no little kids can fall out the back. I took some wise advise from Psalmbook and purchased a full-back chair.
If I am doing a multi-day event in the same location... I use my gas-powered bar stool. It weighs 9LBS. I can raise up the chair for the little ones, and it stays down for the adults. I have four of these chairs, and my team all use them. We range in height from 5'2" to almost 6'. This chair suits all of us. It is really awkward to carry, so that is why I only use it when I do not have to do a daily breakdown.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by shama on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:41 am

LOL Forest Fairy! I have had similar experiences ... but the way you worded it - priceless Razz

I am thinking of using a three step ladder which I have seen quite a few people using lately. It's high so the painter stands, and the kids walk up the first two steps and sit on the third. Seems to work well ...
shama

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-06-13

http://www.facepaintmelbourne.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top