Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Help me please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help me please!

Post by whimsicalart on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:30 pm

I am new to face painting and I need to practice but no one will let me practice on them and modeling heads cost too much! What do I do?

whimsicalart

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Help me please!

Post by missmolly on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Practice on your arm and thighs as much as you can, it will help you get used to painting on skin.

In terms of learning how to place designs on the face, practice on your own face! It's different than painting other people's faces, but it's a still good practice.

To find people to paint your designs on try taking advantage of situations like family gatherings, your children or younger siblings' friends, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. Make sure to get photos!

missmolly

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2014-04-20

http://www.kookyclowns.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:07 pm

if you decide you also need a 3D practice head, you could ask any cosmetology classes in your area for used ones, or get a cheap styrofoam head at a craft or fabric store (i got one for $5).

but as kookyclowns mentioned, painting on real skin is better practice.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:24 pm

If you're a female face painter... you typically have less body hair than if you were a male face painter, lol.... so you have your own arms, legs, face to practice on.

You can also practice your line work on paper... I've done it on some shiny colored cardstock I got on clearance from Michaels - I was surprised it doesn't smudge or flake off what-so-ever after it dries. Of course this isn't the same as painting on skin... you can also practice on those plastic page protectors (you can print out pictures of faces - real or fake - and put them inside) and wash it off when done.
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Alina0210 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:54 am

I have kids who won't let me paint them... I practice on my arms, thighs and calves. Have done a few and peoe have thought they were tattoos lol.
Alina0210

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Like what the others said, we all pretty much practice on our arms and legs. Some times i practice on my roommates backs while they are on the computer lol.

I have a practice head, but it's much different then painting on real skin. I mainly do it for mapping out new designs.

Mirrors are also good to practice on, just practice line work, tear drops, tiger stripes etc, and fill the entire mirror. Razz
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by mespo on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:25 pm

I agree. Practicing on skin is the best way to learn because the brush will glide differently over skin than another surface. I do have the practice head and I don't use it much anymore. I am going to start practicing on my arms and legs like everyone mentioned.
mespo

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-03-05

http://www.facepaintingbymarion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 am

Forest-Fairy wrote:Like what the others said, we all pretty much practice on our arms and legs. Some times i practice on my roommates backs while they are on the computer lol.

I have a practice head, but it's much different then painting on real skin. I mainly do it for mapping out new designs.

Mirrors are also good to practice on, just practice line work, tear drops, tiger stripes etc, and fill the entire mirror. Razz

I wonder if I can talk the kids into letting me paint their backs while they play video games Idea
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Say hello to the mirror.
I am my most common model.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyphoid on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:44 pm

I shaved the under side of my forearm to practice on. :p

But I also practice on our (Forest-Fairy, and I's) roommates backs. The pro-face is better for mapping out designs.
Xyphoid

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum