Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

2 Art Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2 Art Questions

Post by mespo on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 pm

#1 What is the best way to do a beard for a pirate? Sponge or brush. If a brush, which one do you use?

#2 When doing Spiderman, do you paint all the red first then go over and do the white eyes? I'm just afraid it will end up pink if it doesn't dry fast enough.

Thanks so much....Marion
mespo

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-03-05

http://www.facepaintingbymarion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Art Questions

Post by anniel on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:28 am

1. I like a stipple sponge

2. Always start with your lightest color, and work your way to the darkest (With Spiderm. you can just do the eyes white, then start on the outside of the face, outline the outside of the eyes w/o touching the red t the white--fill in between & go back with your blacklines around the eyes-- and finish with your webs.)
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poopitypants on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 am

1. Stipple sponges make great beards, for sure (:

2. Same as anniel said. Definitely do your white eyes first- then I'd outline them with red on a brush, sponge on the rest of the red (or you could use a brush, whatever your preference is), and then outline the white eyes with black, and the webs! White is pretty easily muddied.

poopitypants

Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:01 pm

There's a great spiderman one stroke tutorial in the how to section.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:06 pm

1. While I do have a stipple sponge, it really doesn't work the way I want to for good looking stubble because it's too patterned. Also it's small and square so it's hard to avoid accidentally sponging an edge and getting a straight line. The best type of sponge I have found for this method are these.

The regular everyday craft sponge. The holes are more random and less uniform, and it's a wider surface area.
The trick is to not have too much paint on your sponge. You really want to use a 'dry brush' type of load, and then tap it on for some real looking stubble.Practice on your hand a bit to figure out the right amount, start with very little paint on the sponge and add more as necessary. I always do a test dab on my hand before doing the stubble, and I cut these into quarters before putting them in my kit.

2. Eyes first! Paint the red around the eyes using a large brush like a #12 filbert. Don't worry if you accidentally touch the white where the red and white meet, because you'll be painting a black line there any way. Wink
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyphoid on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:42 pm

What forest fairy said.

The stipple sponge works better for scratches and cuts when dragged over the skin with a bit of red. But it's not the right look for stubble I feel.

Also, always paint spider-mans eyes first.
Xyphoid

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mespo on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Thank you Kai, I'll take a look at that tutorial.
Forest Fairy - I just purchased those yesterday and they do seem to be really nice. I'll have to practice with both types of sponges for sure. Thanks. I also knocked out a bunch of cheek art designs today by painting on my leg, so I can finally offer more options to choose from. Its a great way to paint when you don't have any willing volunteers handy.
mespo

Registration date : 2015-03-05

http://www.facepaintingbymarion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top