Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What is it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is it?

Post by Ash_A on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:12 pm

So, I've seen people post about them but I've never really seen an explanation of what they are or the general process...

So...what is a jam exactly? Where are they held? Is it a lesson of sorts? Or more like a paint party?

Give me the deets as I'm quite curious!

Thanks!
Ash_A

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-23

http://www.chubbycheeksfaba.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What is it?

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 pm

You get together with other painters and play with your kits.

Some are more like parties with food (potluck) in someones home or a hall. Some are in restaurants where they have a use of a private room as long as everyone orders a meal. Some are more formal in a venue with instructors present.

Some are just fun, some have guest instructors, some are just everyone paints and shows off, others everyone takes turns showing a technique or new product they acquired.

Some are "bring the kids and family" some are painters only. Some arrange models, some you paint each other. Sometimes you paint yourself.

It is an informal networking opportunity and meant to be fun. Two people can jam together or you can have a massive group, depends on your area.

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Shannon--thanks I have wondered that too since I have never been to one either.

amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:58 pm

At Winky's Jam on Wednesday, March 11, we had a gathering of magician, twisters, clowns and face painters. Rose Winkworth (Winky the Clown) runs this and pays for the room out of her own money. We have a 50/50 draw to help pay for the room, and a doorprize donated by the vendor. We have pizza and snackies.
I noticed one of the magicians teaching a clown/face painter some card/magic tricks. I ran a face painting contest and awarded the winner Global Dark Blue.
I met Kooky Clown for the first time (lovely, beautiful, extremely talented artiste). Someone was struggling with one stroke roses, so about four of us worked on them together. It was not just one person teaching... it was all of us learning together. Rose asked me for, and I am not kidding... a Walleye fish. Not my best face painting job... and I gave it the old college try.
There was juggling going on to add an extra layer of interest.
This happens once a month in the north end of Toronto. It is not always on Wednesdays. It takes a lot of planning and organizing on Rose's part. Rose supplies the tables, tablecloths, plates, cutlery, pop, and most snacks.
A few months ago... I asked my fellow face painters help to make a unicorn mask that is really quick. While we did not make it super quick... they cut about 30 seconds off of my usual unicorn mask. 30 seconds helps a lot!

I feel this promotes us all as compadres, instead of competition. I love Jams!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:35 pm

that sounds like a dream come true!
When I was a kid the local community center offered a clowning, balloon twisting, and magic class--I was the ONLY one to sign up for them and they got cancelled Sad
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash_A on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 pm

Yes! It sounds like so much fun and educational to boot! Would love to "jam" some day! Smile

Thanks so much for the explanations -- and now I'm jealous because I know zero face painters in my area. Hmmph. Wink
Ash_A

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-23

http://www.chubbycheeksfaba.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by mespo on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:06 am

Wow I would love to have something like that to go to. It sounds like a great opportunity to get to know other artists, practice and learn from each other. But I'm with Ash_A....I don't think we have anything like that at all in my area. :-(
mespo

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-03-05

http://www.facepaintingbymarion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum