Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

*Whew* Menu Board Complete, Opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

*Whew* Menu Board Complete, Opinions?

Post by gaberitta on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm still working on gathering photos for a picture board.  today I was supposed to paint an entire baseball team (for free) so that I could gather up all my designs. Well, it didn't work out due to the lady having a car accident (shes okay) and I needed something asap. So after browsing this forum, and google, and pinterest, LOL! Here is what I came up with for the mean time. Thoughts? Should I add, Change anything? I tried to change the designs a bit, I dont want to copy anyone, so much inspiration here.   Embarassed

gaberitta

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: *Whew* Menu Board Complete, Opinions?

Post by jlirie on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:43 pm

great work! nice colors and composition. Smile

i might suggest a couple tweaks - fewer stripes on the tiger, so they are more noticeable by themselves. a lot of stripes can end up looking like a striped background pattern.

the flourishes and blended colors on your girl masks are wonderful, however, with all the white strokes, they could use brighter colors under them to give a good contrast.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:37 am

you paint lovely stuff my dear! and these signs are lovely.

I would say perhaps print out some labels so they have names, and look into getting them laminated or otherwise weather proofed. (and finger proofed! kids will touch your signs and even lean on them, and all your lovely paint will be smeared on the first gig)

Other then that, I wouldn't change a lot.

The only thing that really bugs me is that the 'boy stuff' and 'girl stuff' is separated instead of mixed in. Sad
Like what if a girl wants to be a orange tiger, leopard, or puppy? Or bat-girl or spider girl?

I butt heads enough is parents trying to dictate what their kids should get with rigid gender stereotypes "no you can't get that, it's a boys design, pick a girls one." I would hate for my sign to reaffirm that, so i mix them up as much as I can.

So next time maybe!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash_A on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:24 am

I would be really proud of those if they were mine. Smile

I think it's awesome.
Ash_A

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-23

http://www.chubbycheeksfaba.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gaberitta on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:38 am

I tried to find one huge board at Michaels, my plan was to just use one giant board. unfortunately I live in a small town, so I would have had to use a canvas.And those were pricey. Sad

What I was thinking of doing was taking a picture of each, inserting into paint shop pro or other editor and meshing all the designs together to create one large banner.

My fav design is the tiger,most girls do ask me for it without an issue. But I will find a way to get it all together. .lol!

What colors would you suggest I use to stand out under the white? I'll take a pic of the board outside today, could be my lighting inside the house that's fading it out. Sad
gaberitta

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 pm

you did such a good job, i'd hate to see you have to redo anything right away Smile  like forest-fairy said, maybe just add labels and fixative spray to prevent smearing.

for your background colors, just not pastel or muted dark tones.  use bright colors in the warm or cool tones you want. sometimes what looks great as art is too subtle on a kid's face, especially if they are pale.
you could just do that when you paint, no need to redo the board.

in the future, or if you decide to redo the board now - in case you want to swap designs in and out, you might consider what some people do - make or print individual designs, laminate them or put in a waterproof sleeve, then attach to the board with velcro or adhesive backed magnets.

or if you have an inexpensive way of printing out your banner version, even better.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by gaberitta on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Thank you! For some reason I did use the lighter colors. Not sure why I did that, but I do see what your saying. I'm a little sad I didnt add any green or real rainbow colors now. However I'm going to just use what I have for now, and take the photos and add / take off as I figure out which designs are more popular. I do love the "boys"designs better. The colors do tend to POP right out at you.

Hopefully as i start booking more gigs, I can start taking more photos and start using those :-)
gaberitta

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissiemarie on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 pm

I use photo pockets that are self adhesive and cheap photo paper to draw on. (Got 24 for a dollar) but I love the designs.
Krissiemarie

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbykristina

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:06 am

ooh, thanks for the photo paper idea, krissiemarie.

i got some craft foam sheets, but the texture was too dry and they absorbed paint like crazy. the word "foam" might have had something to do with that Razz
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissiemarie on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:39 am

Use the non shiny side. It's like regular paper. Smile and all uniform size. Can't go wrong
Krissiemarie

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbykristina

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am

I really love that you put eyes on your designs, it makes them so much more personable! They really draw you in! Good job!
anniel

Number of posts : 2313
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 am

I really love that you put eyes on your designs, it makes them so much more personable! They really draw you in! Good job!
anniel

Number of posts : 2313
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 pm

well done.
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:24 pm

anniel wrote:I really love that you put eyes on your designs, it makes them so much more personable! They really draw you in! Good job!

I noticed that too. I wouldn't change a thing.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top