Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Discount for friends

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discount for friends

Post by Kal on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Do any of you make exceptions for your friends? I have like two so I don't usually even charge. It's usually my "gift" to the child. Since I became a very popular face painter my "friends"/fellow back scratchers have increased. I'd like to figure out a rate where they feel like they are getting a really good "friend" discount.

What about family? Like, obviously I'm not going to charge my sister anything for my nieces, but I have some distant cousins with little kids.

How do you guys handle this?
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Discount for friends

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:45 pm

No and no. No discounts. My uncle hired me to paint at his granddaughter's party - paid full price and tipped.

I have on two occasions face painted for a good friend's (same one both times) daughter's birthday as my "gift" to her, and it was made clear in the birthday card that my painting at her party was my gift.

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 pm

I will do a l hour party instead of my mandatory 2...but like Shannon said, full price...

F&F like to book at peak times just like everyone else, so they are not just freeloading, but actually taking revenue from you, if you allow them to.

A sweet explanation that this is actually your work week, and you really can't afford to miss an appointment for a freebie for the great uncle's third cousin's niece, usually puts it into perspective for reasonable people. (And who wants to get stuck somewhere with unreasonable people?)
anniel

Number of posts : 2312
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by missmolly on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:54 pm

I originally tried the Shannon Fennel approach, but it unfortunately didn't work out for me quite as planned, so I came up with a discount system.

For family members I offer a small discount on the first hour ($5 off my regular rate,) and a significant discount off of 1.5h and even more off my 2h booking times.

Alternatively I offer to attend the event un-costumed to do face painting and/or balloons only as a gift or for the cost of my materials/transit. (My regular service package includes a costumed entertainer, face painting, balloon twisting, and a magic show.)

This way, I'm not stuck charging a large discount on my first hour of work, which I find isn't worthwhile as I take public transit. It also prevents me from having to costume up and preform a whole show for free which for me is more of a hassle than simply bringing my paints and balloons with me.

However, I am a student, and because of this I find often the relatives who ask about my services are very adamant about paying me for them, even if I offer to attend for free. I came up with the discount system to keep things organized and consistent.
missmolly

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2014-04-20

http://www.kookyclowns.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:00 pm

I try my best not to, if I do it's because I offered and I want to for whatever party I happen to already be attending. I've found that my friends start getting pig-headed and arrogant about getting painted and it starts to become undervalued and they think they're doing you a favor by letting you paint them with no true idea of the cost or time, and it becomes something that's expected.
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Some of my friends really can't afford me, and i understand that. So these are two people whom I 'gift' my face painting to. But the other ones who can afford it I charge them my regular price for 1hr BUT I'm more loosey goosey with the time. Since I'm invited to the party, i often stay longer but not all of the time is spent painting, it's very casual.

For my nieghbor, I charged her my 1hr with 1 artist price, but she's getting BOTH myself and Aryn. This works out better for us too because we don't have much time that day and we want to get done faster.

Some times I do and some times I don't. Some times it's barter. :/ 

Depends on who is asking. And I only offer free or discount if I don't have another booking. If I get paid work, they understand that I can't attend their party.

I totally get what thouartbeautiful says about some friends 'expecting' it, and think they are doing you a favor when they aren't even paying you. - These people I charge my full price.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't work for free, but I will give a discount for facepainting at parties that I'm going to anyway...
For example, I was asked to paint for 2 hours at my nephew's wedding party, and he got a 25% discount. I booked 4 jobs from people at that wedding afterwards
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 pm

One time I painted at my friends kids birthday party for free. 2 hours and a bit, got a lot of portfolio photos.

Later I asked her if she could help me out with my taxes (she was an accountant) and she straight up wanted to bill me.

According to her, what I do is easier and not as serious as her job, so in her mind it made sense for me to be free and her to charge.

After some choice words, we weren't friends anymore. The only real quote I can remember her saying to me is "Yeah, but it's not like it's real work, you enjoy it."

Perhaps this is the root cause of why people don't respect the arts? If you don't hate your job you have no reason charging for your services. lol
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top