Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Update Alert::::::::I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it)..........

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Update Alert::::::::I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it)..........

Post by DebbieB on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Well, my big debut turned in to a rather big flop.

I was concerned to begin with because of the last minute decision to bring me in rather unprepared. The guy handling it kinda doesn't know anything about face painting (understandable) but he didn't listen to anything that I said so upon my arrival, I already know this is going to be bad. He has me set up in a barely noticeable area with nowhere to hang signs and I might as well have been invisible. The only thing that said there was a face painter was a small 8x10 picture frame like sign that he sat on my table. I was a good 150 ft. from the entrance and I could see people piling in, but none came my way. He insisted I only offer 3 token ($1 per token) designs so I am also limited on what I can offer. I did 3 kids the first day.
The next day, I am in the same spot but I also brought signs I made at home and taped them up around the stadium and I also went around to every family with kids giving cards and letting them know that I am painting faces so once I got the ball rolling, I got a line that didn't stop until I was packing up. I was getting the usual "wows" from the kids and parents when the guy who hired me came over. There was a woman in line with her twins and I guess she knows him because she let him have it, saying "this is such a great idea for the kids" and "you need to put her somewhere that she will be more visible to the kids because if she hadn't came to us, we never would have known she was here"...... I wanted to kiss her because this is what I had told the dude days earlier.
As I am packing up, he said they were gonna meet again this week to make the decision on whether or not to bring me back for more dates. I hope I get to seeing as how my first weekend didn't go so well.

As if I didn't feel a big letdown from this, I play the LJY video to see all the winners and honorable mentions from her latest contest and I'll be damned if the evil gnome SIL wasn't one of the honorable mentioned. At least she didn't win because I would have thrown myself into traffic. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
DebbieB

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:23 am

I am sorry your first day didn't go over so well. But good for you for putting yourself out there the next day with the signs and all that. It seems like the general public was receptive to you so hopefully they will want you back.

If they pulled you in for another meeting I would talk to them about what you are painting/charging. Was that 3 token thing part of the original agreement?

And I saw the LJY video. Which one was the SIL?
melissah1982

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-10-11

http://www.melissasfaceart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:24 am

Dear Debbie:
Sorry it didn't go very well, though none of that is your fault here.
The organizers weren't prepared and hadn't thought it through, and we always get the downfall of that :/

Hopefully they'll base their meeting on day 2, and the guy in charge will remember what the lady said!
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:19 pm

I really don't know what was going through his mind when he insisted that I offer 3 token only stuff because during the meeting, I specifically stated that I was going to make 3 different boards to choose from--- 3,4, and 5 token designs so they would have more of a variety to choose from. I explained (apparently went over his head) that even though they are paying me by the hour, I wasn't going to offer my high dollar full face stuff for 3 tokens with any expectation of them making enough with token sales to pay me. 3 tokens =$3 = 4-5 minutes each, Even at 15 faces an hour that's only $45 so if they have me on a 3 token only system, I have to offer really quick small stuff to make it worth it to them to have me there. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I will not say nor write the evil gnome SIL's name, but her entry was the one immediately after the little girl in the pink shirt with the rainbow butterfly on her face.
DebbieB

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top