Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Painting at Farmer's Markets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Painting at Farmer's Markets

Post by PixiePaintrix on Sat May 16, 2015 10:24 am

So I'm excited to have been offered space at a few farmer's markets this summer. I LOVE farmer's markets <3

I have a question for those that paint at them regularly. How do you draw people to your tent. I have painted at one for the last two weeks, and although there are lots of kids, I'm not painting any. Do you ask as people walk by; blow bubbles or other fun stuff for kids; or just wait and they come to you?

I need to be smart, I don't expect to make as much as I do at a private booking, but I need to make more than $20 bucks in an evening.

Thanks!
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Painting at Farmer's Markets

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes on Mon May 18, 2015 12:19 am

Question to your question, how did you get your spot? Do you have to pay a base fee? Take a percentage off earnings, or just working there for free? I'm just interested to know because I'm thinking about doing a farmers market in my area too Smile
PaintedWingsandWishes

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 on Mon May 18, 2015 1:24 pm

Farmers markets tend to not be very profitable (at least the ones I have painted at). Paint your face, have a sign/banner at the entrance that says Face painting and some pictures and the bubbles thing sounds good.
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Mon May 18, 2015 8:51 pm

PaintedWingsandWishes wrote:Question to your question, how did you get your spot? Do you have to pay a base fee? Take a percentage off earnings, or just working there for free? Im just interested to know because I'm thinking about doing a farmers market in my area too Smile

Some have a vendor fee and some will take a percentage. Some require you to commit to the whole season, some are more flexible. Just contact the person running it, or check out their website. Always try and negotiate what benefits you - they know offering anything to entertain the kids benefits them because kids get bored at those types of places.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes on Mon May 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Ah I hadn't thought about working the whole season. Thanks that helps a lot.
PaintedWingsandWishes

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Tue May 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Looking for advice too! I am painting at a farmers market this year (first experience doing so)..I am also offering chair massage though and selling crafty things I make too..I am hoping between painting and massage I will break even with shopping. Between the two I hope I will be profitable..obviously can't do both at once so may designate 1/2 time to paint and 1/2 to massage or what people want. I also do hair wrapping too. It is a tiny venue in my rural town. Hoping to pay for my weekly veggies,jams, bread,etc this way..
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Tue May 26, 2015 2:08 pm

And it's always good for networking. Even if there aren't a lot of kids, you can let people know you are available for family reunions, company picnics, etc. I would not pay a high vendor fee though. I always negotiate and usually wind up with a better deal than I was expecting. Just a few days ago I inquired about a 2 day event where the fee was $75., I responded with the typical "that's a bit high for me, I'll have to think about it" response and they immediately said "we will do $25." And this is a big event, lots of traffic, great reviews. They want to be able to mention they 'll have a facepainter because they know it benefits them to have something for kids.
eviedejesus

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Tue May 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Ours is $39 for a weekly 3 hour event jun-oct.

I am going to get a spot at our local flea market too but it is $22 a a day. They have a raffle each day for a free spot though..all the vendors put their name in and they draw 3 random who get their fee reimbursed..
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm

*cracks knuckles* I'll take it from here lol.

I fill all my off days at the farmers markets, they are a great way to get yourself out there, make a personal connection with people, practice new designs, and make some cold hard cash while doing so!

"How do you draw people to your tent."
COLOR! I make my area 'loud' I went and bought some fake flowers to put around the umbrella they provide me with, a green leaf table cloth, and some large colorful bight butterfly wings (used for costumes, but i use them for decor).

I also blow bubbles some times, or I play my ocarina to attract attention. The key is getting that first butt in your chair, because THAT is what really draws peoples attention. I'll often paint the vendor children for free because they will be there all day working as my free advertising. Works like a charm.

Finally I dress-up too; I have a wig a bright blue shirt, and lots of colorful jewelry on.

When all else fails, I say 'Face painting!' with a smile as kids walk by - that gets them tugging on moms sleeves pretty good.

On a good day at the Saturday market I can make up to $350 just doing it all by donation.
For that I have a sign that says my minimum donations ($2 small - $5 full face), and VERY important is to use a fanny pack NOT a tip jar. When people have to look you in the eye and put the money in your hand you make more. Trust me.
I do NOT pay a space fee so long as i do it 'by donation' which works well. You are NOT like other vendors, you do not have 50+ pre painted faces under yourtable to sell, your work is based on TIME, and all created live, so there is acap on how much you can make, unlike others. If your market wants you to pay a fee, then have a talk with them. Tell them that you are 'the entertainment' like a musician, you are adding color and character to their market and an activity for children - when children are happy, they aren't nagging mom that they are bored and want to go home! You are a DRAW the the event! Don't let them charge you for the privilege to entertain their guests.

I tell them "I won't charge you my entertainment fee, if you don't charge me a space fee."

Don't pay space fees.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix on Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks Everyone! and Forest that was exactly what I was looking for.

In Alberta we have two types of farmer's markets. One type is registered and approved by the gov and the other is not.

I paint at the registered ones, which means no booth fees for me! The registered ones cannot run for profit (the market, of course the farmers want a profit) and have to run like a co-op or condo. Also they have to have a minimum of 80% "You make, you bake, you grow" content. Because of the no profit rule, they bring in buskers and allow us to work for no charge. I'm also allowed to set prices.

I added bubbles last week, and am going to add my wig etc this week and see what happens. Last week was way better than the week before, but part of that was the weather I think.

Thanks again everyone <3
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Wed May 27, 2015 12:03 am

Forest-Fairy - I was wondering when you would be responding to this inquiry. I wish there was a way to tag someone like you can on Facebook, because I knew that you have lots of experience with Farmers Markets and could answer her questions.
eviedejesus

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Sat May 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks for the tips forest fairy!! Very helpful!
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes on Sun May 31, 2015 2:43 am

*bows to the forest fairy greatness* Thank you!!! The vendors fees are so high by me so I was worried how to handle it. Great advice Smile
PaintedWingsandWishes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top