Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Rates on Website???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rates on Website???

Post by Flying Laughter on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 pm

I've searched the existing threads and haven't found much on the topic...

After YEARS of contemplating and doing free work for friends and charity/awareness events, I am just finally ready to "do this for reals" Smile , start charging and officially go pro.

While researching my competition in my area (and only finding 4 with websites), I found that only 1 out of the 4 display their rates on their sites. The rest ask for you to contact them for rates. I found this strange and wondered why the majority chose not to advertise their prices. As a consumer, in general, I would want to see prices upfront instead of having to go through the hassle of calling around to research my options. So I wonder if I am missing something.

What ARE the benefits of not displaying prices?

For those that have been in the game a while and have done both (displaying and not displaying), which did you prefer? Which garnered the best results?

Thanks! Smile
Flying Laughter

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2012-01-04

http://flyinglaughter.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rates on Website???

Post by eviedejesus on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:25 pm

I noticed the same thing in my area, but have chosen to list my prices because I TOO prefer to see prices upfront as a consumer. I happen to know that some people charge more for gigs in rich neighborhoods, which I personally would not feel comfortable doing. I like transparency and equality, so I display prices. I suppose some people feel that if the person calls them, they can verbalize the value of what they are offering before giving the price (in other words convincing them it is worth it). Others I think take the whole picture into account before quoting (how many kids, how many hours, what day of the week, how far away it is, etc.) I know many charge corporations more than they do individuals, just because they can afford it.

My listed prices are for parties only though. Under corporate rates, it says :”call for a custom quote” mainly because if I’m being hired to paint at a huge public event, (especially if it is free to the public), I know I will be painting a LOT more people than at a party, so I will charge more. BUT, it they are hiring me for more than a certain amount of hours or it’s a recurring gig (like kids night at a restaurant), I will negotiate accordingly - (can I have a tip jar? food vouchers, etc.)

I’m curious to hear from those that have tried it both ways also.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 am

I have never listed my prices. I have a rate sheet for my own use and it is four pages long and lays out all my rates for ALL the services I offer. I am a full-service make-up artist and do everything from weddings to theatre to body painting to custom built prosthetics. It is too much to itemize and list all the options on a website.

People inquire and I send them a response that outlines the options for the services that they are interested in and also provide information about health regulations, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:39 pm

I put my prices upfront too, though many face painters in my city don't post theirs. 

I think most change their prices based on travel, or they want the customer to contact them so they can start their sales pitch. :/ 

I don't work that way, my rates are my rates.

As for all the other stuff i do like makeup and FX it's totally a 'contact me for a quote' thing because that work is less straight forward.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top