Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Writing for Silly Farms 'Paint Pal' website.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Writing for Silly Farms 'Paint Pal' website.

Post by tronnor21 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 pm

When I first discovered face painting, I was fortunate to find Ilea's blog right away. Her blog and advice has helped me so much. I'll gladly admit that I have purchased most of my starter face painting kit based on her reviews and advice. I also enjoy the wit and humor in her posts. Her writing is very entertaining! I would be delighted to read her contributing posts on paintpal.com because I respect her point-of-view on all things face painting. A video series would be so awesome!
tronnor21

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-11-30

http://taylormclean.wix.com/facepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm

What do you think of my writing?
Hilarious and informative. What can be better? Usually long posts are very winded, but I really want to keep reading more each time you post. It's down to earth, and very real world writing with delightful humor sprinkled everywhere.
Who here have spent a few hours lurking my blog?
..yes I am guilty... Embarassed
Would you read my posts on paintpal.com?
Yup
Have you ever linked people to my articles on my blog?
I would if I had people lol, plus I keep forgetting to favorite your blog so I have a hard time finding it.
How have my articles or forum posts helped you with your face painting business?
It has helped me shape my business, and made me more prepared to go out and get started. Certain situations I would have had no idea how to handle them if I hadn't have read your posts. Specially the beef posts. You've helped me take care of my brushes, have a high standard of hygiene, not make newbie mistakes on marketing, and basically be a better face painter. No walls of china in my paint!
Do you want me to start a video series too?
YES!
Anything else you want to say about my writing?
Please don't ever change your humor or blunt way of writing. I might be swayed to say free e-book, but I know I'll have to save money just to buy your book hahaha.

I respect your authority on face painting. Been saving snippets of info like a face painter's bible Razz
PaintedWingsandWishes

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:07 pm

Ilea, you have a gift.
If SF does not see it, we all get to enjoy your take on life as a face painter on the facepaintforum.com.
I see Heather on her BlingBlog, telling people to buy "No Odor" silicone from the craft store, instead of the aquarium silicone clearly indicated by Karen Husted.

As a person violently allergic to Silly Farm's Brush Bath, I resent how they push 'spraying' it onto brushes to cleanse the brushes.

If you get on that forum.. good for you.. and great for the rest of the world.

If they miss that they are excluding someone amazing, we have to find another venue, that will pay you for you to be just you.
xoxoxo
Lisa
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3324
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by bellia_michlexis on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:17 pm

I trolled your entire blog in one day. Even the ones I've read from this forum I read again Justin case you added something. You are so informative. I'm sure heather is just handling all of the post event logistics. You'd be a great asset to her blog.

bellia_michlexis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Thank you to everyone so far! ^.^

tronnor21
Thank you so much! I'm glad my kit starter suggestions have helped you! That makes me feel all gushy n' stuff. :p 

Painted wings
I'm so glad you like my humor! I don't like to be all 'serious business' with writing for sure. It's one of the things that worries me about my writing is if I'm too crass, because us face painters are often seen as being made of flowers and sunshine and rainbows. But we are real people with real humorous sides too! It's nice to be able to express that in my writing and not always have on the 'G rating' like at some events. I'm glad that I can make adults laugh too! ^.^

Glad even the beef posts help people out. I do way more public events then birthday parties, so I see a LOT of people and not all of them are easy to deal with for sures.

lol I think you meant 'Great Holes to China" lol Razz back and forth no swirling! Very Happy

Fessy
Dawe! Thank you!
I'd have to look into the 'no odor' silicone to see what the MSDS says to be sure. But yes I did find it a little odd. I remember on the forum last year we had a huge multi page discussion about this. I think it was settled that it either has to be aquarium safe silicone or medical grade just to be certain. I've never even thought of using anything else, because i have a 150 gal aquarium in my house and spare silicone, AND I have 3rd degree silicone in my FX kit. 

Whoa! You're allergic to that too?! I've tried it on my skin, and no reaction, I'm really sensitive to soaps and things so that was my main test. JUST started using it in my rinse water only, no complaints yet.

Thanks Lisa, cheeky as always. Razz

Bellia
wow! in one day! that's amazing...
and yeah i totally edit them when they go on the blog and add more to them. Though i need to edit more, i suck with typos Razz 

Yeah I'm sure she's still just pretty busy wrapping everything up after such a huge event. Totally saving up for 2017!!

Thanks again everyone! I love writing so I always will no mater what. Very Happy 

Totally want to start a video blog. I'm almost done taking care of my fathers Estate so once it's all wrapped up I'll have more free time for big projects like that. *hugs*
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by cowgirlsoul606 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:51 am

Hilarious, entertaining, and most importantly informative!

Super guilty lmao!

Hell yes!! No questions asked lol 😁

I would if I had face painting peeps.. Still really new to face painting. Don't know many peeps yet.

How have my articles or forum posts helped you with your face painting business?
I don't have a business yet but there are several tips that I've saved for when that day comes.

YES!!!! YES!!!! HELL YES!!!

Your writing is a wonderful read. I love hearing your thought and opinions on the various subjects you write about. Each read is unique and showcases your talent for writing and conveying your thought and feelings to your readers. I am truly a fan of your work. I hope this door opens up for you so you can share your experiences and advice with a larger audience 😁
cowgirlsoul606

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:28 am

Funny, witty, and highly entertaining.

I've only discovered it a while ago, and read the whole thing in one sitting.

Yes

Probably, but most painty people in my country aren't very fluent in English, so a lot of the funny gets lost in translation :p

Well, I've been doing this for ten years, so it's mostly just seriously entertaining for me. However, your post on booth set up has inspired me to get working on that, and I've since made my facepaint design banners.

If you'd like to do this, go for it! however, the recording, making and editing of videos is very time-consuming, and If you post on youtube you won't get anything out of it... Keep that in consideration with your decision.

Keep doing it! you crack me up Very Happy
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Since you asked...

I think you are hilarious and witty, if a bit snarky, at times, which I totally get, speaking snark, myself.

I think you have tons of wisdom to impart to people who haven't been "in the industry" for long.

I think you have fantastic stories, to which those of us who have been "in the industry" for a while can relate.

I think you are a master meme generator, who knows just when #facepalm needs to turn into #facedesk.

I think you have an uncanny ability to find just the perfect video clip to express your point, which I admire.

I think you are ballsy enough to say what some of us only think in our heads, and secretly wish we had the kahunas to say. Or maybe we are just too nice to state the obvious, and you aren't, lol.

I haven't looked at your blog much, because I work full time and try to keep my business afloat and manage a family of four plus two canine children, but what I have seen is pretty good, if a little long winded.

As an officially licensed grammar officer, you need to watch your uses of the words "then" and "than," but that's the largest infraction I can ticket you with, at the moment.

If you made videos, I would watch them, especially if they were on YouTube. I would subscribe to your channel and stalk you there. 😳
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alina0210 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:12 pm

Agree with everyone above. Your blog posts are awesome. And I have a couple of pages saved to my iPhone screen so I can refer to them if needed - the never use craft paint blog post etc..
Alina0210

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by aniruam on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Hilarious and light hearted, and super informative.

I may or may not have grabbed a bag of popcorn and hunkered down to read it all once I found it....

Definitely!

I have read a lot of them out loud to my partner, just because they are so funny and on point.

Enough that I would direct anyone else to read it if they needed tips and useful information!

Yeah!!!??

As I've said before, I really appreciate and admire that you explain the how's and why's behind your methods, you do your research! For example, you don't just say "baby wipes are bad", you explain why and you do so in an entertaining and informative way. There are things you've mentioned that make so much sense that I never even thought of before, like modifying one's language in the workplace.
In addition, I really like that even though you take face painting and your business seriously, as we all should, you don't take it so seriously that you can't laugh about it sometimes and give us a good laugh too. Smile
aniruam

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:46 pm

In this past week, I've mentioned your blog to at least 5 people, mostly on facebook, so you may have noticed that in your blog traffic Very Happy
Tineke

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:45 pm

where'd my OP go?
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Huh... Good question, would metina have deleted it? Or did you accidentally delete it?
Tineke

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:42 pm

I dunno where it went!
I was worried that I was going bonkers!
rthling

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Well I didn't delete it.... why would the mods delete it? I'm totally confused right now.

Update:

Heather got back to me today! She's just been super busy because her long time assistant quit, but she still wants me to write for her! So stoked! I'll keep you all updated. Very Happy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:57 am

Awesome! Congrats!!
rthling

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:17 am

Congratulations!!!
I look forward to your byline, Forest Fairy!

xoxoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3324
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:36 pm

whoohooo!!
Tineke

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Here's the first one: http://paintpal.com/portfolio/4-reasons-wet-wipes-are-bad-for-face-painting/
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 am

Good job FF,

sorry I didn't get a chance to reply before your first post. I love the fact that you have lots of people talking about baby wipes on facebook. I always think that good blog posts make people think and talk and yours totally did that.

You have a great talent for making people think without being offensive. That fence is a tough one to walk and I'm very impressed with how well you do that.

Good job on reaching a larger audience and I look forward to seeing some video too Smile
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cowgirlsoul606 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Congrats FF!! Super happy for you! cheers
cowgirlsoul606

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top