Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Rash complaint?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rash complaint?

Post by rharris524 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:29 pm

I've been face painting for over 20 years and never had a complaint but tonight, I got a call from someone who was at a park that I painted at complaining that his son has a rash near his eyes. I'm not saying no one has ever gotten a rash, but no one has ever reported it back to me. I photographed the ingredient lists for the colors he says I used and texted them to him. I didn't offer to anything further but he seemed to be waiting for me to offer up something. Any advice on how to proceed? I am insured if it comes to that...although I've never had to use the insurance so I'm not sure how to begin with that either. Also, we were subcontracted through the caterer so I don't know if that makes a difference...just freaking out a bit here. It was snaz red and white and wolfe black
rharris524

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://Www.kathisklowns.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rash complaint?

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I had a complain last year, where 4 kids at a party for a rash, but we figured out it was something viral the the kids must have gotten a different way, since it was all different colors, and 2 were painted by Aryn and 2 by me, and we don't share colors or brushes.... so it didn't make any sense. They found out later from the doctor that it was unrelated to the face paint.

An eye rash could be from anything, allergies, viral infection, or even the way the face paint was taken off. Most times kids get rashes from a product that was used to take OFF the paint. One mom decided to use dish soap to take off her kids paint... well there's your problem. Others use wet wipes to take off the paint - also bad.

But there are several ways you or the paints could be at fault here.

Paints at fault
- They are allergic to products that contain lanolin.
- They have an allergy to fragrance

You at fault
- Contaminated Paints
(like reusing sponges and not using a new sponge with each kid)

I actually have an entire blog post about possible reasons that face paints (snaz in particular) would cause a rash, and go into detail on these points.

Face Paints Causing Rashes

A child getting a rash from the face paints should be taken seriously, and you need to investigate. Always ask the client if the child has any allergies, and HOW exactly the paint was removed (some parents scrub their kids faces raw, i've seen it). This will help solve the mystery.

have your MSDS and ingredients list handy in your kit.

Right now there is no real proof that it was you either. Were you the only face painter at the park? 

If he's waiting for you to offer up something, then it's best you record all the conversations you have with him, of communicate through email and text only. Have a record. That way if he lets slip that he removed the paint with something harsh, he can't take it back later to get money out of you.

Don't alert your insurance company unless litigation lands in your lap.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Also, ask what brand of sunblock the child was wearing.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:23 pm

fesspenter wrote:Also, ask what brand of sunblock the child was wearing.

Yes, this too. I find most times it's an outside product that causes the rash, something the parent wouldn't even think about. But then they blame the face painting.

The telling thing is that he only got it around the eyes and not the entire face. So this would usually indicate that it might just be a sensitivity to a fragrance. Ask if the child has to use special laundry detergents and stuff, if yes, then there is the culprit.

There isn't much else in the paint that would cause that kind of a reaction. Sun Screens getting in the eyes would though.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top