Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello everyone and thank you!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello everyone and thank you!

Post by msdarce on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am a beauty makeup artist and now dabbling into face painting. I wish I would have gotten into face painting earlier in my career, boy have I been missing out. I love the creativity. I have been casually face painting my friend's kids especially for costume competitions with many first place wins, when it dawned on my that I should take this more seriously. Now seeing all of your work I have so much more to learn!!! Thank you for this forum and everyone's contributions. I have learn so much from product reviews, business advice, kit ideas etc.
I do have a question. I am a little confused to the wax vs glycerin based paints. I am looking at some of my paints that list both paraffin and glycerin, so it is wax or glycerin based? So if paraffin is listed first is it then wax based and vice versa? I guess what I am also asking is the wax based paraffin or something else?

Thank you again,

msdarce

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello everyone and thank you!

Post by LittleMonsters on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:25 am

I'm not an expert... but glycerine based paints (like Snazaroo) are best suited to base colors as they take longer to dry and are great for blending and are not great for line work. Waxy paints dry faster and are much better suited for line work (Tag, DFX, Wolfe, etc).

In the latter examples above, paraffin wax is listed before glycerine in their ingredients list.
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:11 pm

anything with paraffin is considered a wax based paint, and better for linework and details. in the past, some brands used beeswax, but that seems to have been discontinued, probably due to cost.

face paints can include glycerin as an ingredient, too, but it is the paraffin that gives the cleaner, crisper lines and details.

as littlemonsters mentioned, other brands with glycerin but not paraffin are usually creamier and easier to blend, and do not make as clean lines.

however, some non-paraffin brands are pretty good for both bases and linework, especially with practice. if you search the forum, you will find people mentioning global, for instance, and paradise.

Last edited by jlirie on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total
jlirie

Number of posts : 1792
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by msdarce on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you both, that was most helpful!

msdarce

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-04-08

Back to top Go down