Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

several questions, one post.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

several questions, one post.

Post by Leesh on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:47 am

Hey again all. As this has several questions in it, I stuck it in General.
1. Does this forum have blogs?
2. What do your kids sit on? I use a stool.
3. Does anybody else just suck at shading? Some pointers would be great.
4. How much of your art is face painting (ie the dreaded shading) and how much is actual painting?
Leesh

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: several questions, one post.

Post by jlirie on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:41 pm

i.e. shading - after applying the color you want to shade, try using a different dry brush or sponge and gently drag or blot the color to get the effect you want.

jlirie

Number of posts : 1742
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 pm

For shading, you can also be smart with one-strokes and take advantage of their different colors, ie: if you're painting a snake and use a one-stroke that has yellow, light green, dark green, even black then you can paint a snake that has shading in one stroke. In addition to what jlirie said, you can also use starblends for some easy shading - I bought a black one specifically for that.

I'm confused with question 4... do you mean face painting vs canvas painting, etc?
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:37 pm

1.) I think some of our members have blogs, but the forum itself is just the open forum, with private messaging available.
2.) my clients sit on a tall IKEA folding chair. I stand when I paint.
3.) I don't do much shading. I think it is amazing, if done well, but not necessary, if that's just not your personal style.
4.) I also don't really understand your question, so I'll say this: face painting is my art. I also do henna, but I consider myself a beginner with it. I do not paint on canvas.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:56 pm

1. Does this forum have blogs?
No but individuals do. Like me! Very Happy
My Face Painting Blog
I also Write articles for Paintpal.com

2. What do your kids sit on? I use a stool.
I'm a chair sitter. Meaning the model sits and I sit. I find it better then having to lean and bend for paints when using a high chair for the model, and it's easier on my back. You just have to be diligent about posture.

3. Does anybody else just suck at shading? Some pointers would be great.
I use one strokes or multi color loaded sponges for shading. If i have to put a shadow on something i use a star blend or a watered down black or brown.

4. How much of your art is face painting (ie the dreaded shading) and how much is actual painting?
I don't understand the question....
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:13 am

Never mind, I've since figured it out. Thanks.
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:18 pm

I've thought about the responses to my questions for days now. I felt some if you were pretty offendedby my wording.
So I shall explain.
I've never, in 43 years of life considered my "drawing, doodling, painting...art. I don't have the terminology you guys do, I don't have the...belief in my work?you do in your own. Before venturing into face painting I thought 'real' face painting was all that pretty shading, the way you guys can draw an entire face into one ...picture? Work of art? Again, no terminology. I've been jumped on a few times here for how I word things,and that's fine, as an INTJ, I'm pretty used to the general pop not getting me. BUT. I meant no offense. When I say "real face paintin" it's an admission of feeling inferior to your type art compared to what I think of asmy type art.
I have since learned, by being accepted everywhere I have painted so far, and then some, that I have nothing to feel inferior about. My style may be different, but people love it, are willing to pay for it, tip on top of paying for it, so I'm happy.
Thank you to the people here who took a newbies questions and tried to help, I really, really appreciate it. To anyone I offended...um, well. Live and learn.
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Leesh, I don't think anyone was offended by your post - I know I wasn't... question 4 was just confusing is all.

Potentially like you, I've NEVER considered myself an artist... I see an artist as someone who can just DO IT! Where the art just flows out of them... of course, everyone struggles.

Almost every gig I hear, "He's an artist" or get asked by a child, "are you an artist?" (which I find super cute) and typically say something along the lines of, "I guess you could say that."

Everybody here on the forums comes from all walks of life with different skill sets and a wide range of experiences and abilities... never feel inferior!
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:09 am

.... o.O I wasn't offended.... i don't think anyone else was either after rereading their replies.

We do have our own terminology, but i don't think that has anything to do with it.

I think most were confused by this question "How much of your art is face painting (ie the dreaded shading) and how much is actual painting?" because what do you mean 'dreaded shading' and 'actual painting'? It was confusing to me. Isn't it all 'actual painting?' lol I've never considered shading to be something to dread exactly, so it was really confusing.

Do you mean how much is blending and how much is merely solid color? Again i'm just confused by the question. :p

We are all artists no matter your skill. And if you get money for it then consider yourself a 'professional artist' and you get to put that feather in your hat Smile . You are an artist simply if you enjoy creating art. That's all there is too it.

Don't ever feel like you aren't 'as good' as others, we are all learning even the ones whose work really shines, and we are all our own worst critics ^.^
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:42 am

Leesh wrote:as an INTJ, I'm pretty used to the general pop not getting me.

Fellow INTJs UNITE!

Focus on the positives!

Quick, Imaginative, and Strategic Mind
High Self-Confidence
Independent and Decisive
Hard Working and Determined
Open-minded
Jacks-of-all-Trades

Weaknesses (um.. opportunities for self-growth I mean)

Arrogant
Judgmental
Overly Analytical (Why I'm rarely happy with my own work even when everyone around me is oohing and ahhing)
Loathe Highly Structured Environments
Clueless in Romance (Umm.. yeah.. no comment)

Read more here: http://www.16personalities.com/intj-strengths-and-weaknesses

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:46 am

Hoodat Whatzit wrote:
Leesh wrote:as an INTJ, I'm pretty used to the general pop not getting me.

Fellow INTJs UNITE!

Focus on the positives!

Quick, Imaginative, and Strategic Mind
High Self-Confidence
Independent and Decisive
Hard Working and Determined
Open-minded
Jacks-of-all-Trades

Weaknesses (um.. opportunities for self-growth I mean)

Arrogant
Judgmental
Overly Analytical (Why I'm rarely happy with my own work even when everyone around me is oohing and ahhing)
Loathe Highly Structured Environments
Clueless in Romance (Umm.. yeah.. no comment)

Read more here: http://www.16personalities.com/intj-strengths-and-weaknesses
*Laugh*
OMG. Another INTJ face painter. I'm not sure the world can handle this. LOLOLOLOL. You on the forum Hoodat?
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 am

Make that two other INTJ face painters Wink
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 am

Your avatar just looks so plain/white, Leesh...can you please please paint something on it?? ;o)
anniel

Number of posts : 2289
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 am

Sorry.. I posted and ran yesterday. Took my mom to a doctor's appointment and it turned into an all day errand.

We INTJs are everywhere! The first time I ever took a personality test in college I was upset over the INTJ designation.. but now I fully embrace my traits!

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 am

agree, it was confusion, not offense. practice and experience are the keys to getting better, and yes, we will always compare the reality of our work to the ideal we want to achieve. i've had people compliment me when i'm thinking "you have no idea what really good face painters can do!". luckily, they've never seen a mark reid face Very Happy

lol, anniel!
jlirie

Number of posts : 1742
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 am

Dear Leesh:
I don't think anybody was offended by your questions.  There is no font to indicate our mood, so, we too, are limited to the typed words on the page.  Where you offended by our answers?  I truly hope that you understand that we have all started somewhere and this is a great place to start.  
I am classically trained as a Master Portrait Artist, (and it was impossible to complete deadlines while the children were growing up without too much sacrifice on my part).  I went to college for Illustration.   I believe that a lot of artists do not believe in themselves because other artists have intimidated them.   Believe in yourself.  The very best face painter I have ever worked beside claims that she cannot draw a stick figure.  The portrait and anatomy skills help me very little when face painting.  The most important skill is making every child feel special in the chair.  Sometimes that means that the wiggly child ends up with a nose and some whiskers with a little glitter.
Yes, I CAN take the face painting to another level, and I get very little opportunity to do that.   Not very many children will sit for 10 or more minutes, and my line up will get very grumpy, no matter how skilled a painter I am.  (My avatar is my middle daughter, and the butterfly face plus neck corset took 25 minutes.  This is what I would call a "Vanity Piece".  I cannot do this on the job in a reasonable amount of time with the same skill level.)
Face painting is fun.
Face painting is easy.
Face painting is hard to do well.

Keep practicing.  I still practice.  I practice more now, than I did when I was starting out.  I want to keep getting better.  There are painters who started out just over a year ago and they are much better painters than I am now.  The new painters inspire me to try new techniques and look at things in a whole different way.  The face painting world has changed so much in the last 6 years, and it has turned on it's head in the last three years.  Better paint, more suppliers, new techniques, great ideas.
You are starting out at a very exciting time in the face painting world.
Have fun!
Happy Painting.

Last edited by fesspenter on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3324
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Amen, amen, Lisa--well said! Sometimes I work with painters who mentored my beginnings, and while I still admire them & appreciate all that I have learned from them, seeing the occasionally stagnated artist, makes me realize how important it is to keep growing & changing! This forum is a definite God-send for that!
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

This is really weird. You hardly ever run into an INTJ, and here we are up to 4? 5? of us! Crazy.
That's my biggest pumpkin from last year. I have some growing this year, and when it quits raining I'm going to face paint one of them....it's an experiment of sorts. LOL
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesh on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 am

<-------- There we go, one pumpkin, saved from lumpy ugliness by face paint. Very Happy
Leesh

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:57 am

It was beautiful to begin with, Leesh, but it has personality Smile now!
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top