Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Perfect "practice" gig!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Perfect "practice" gig!

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 am

I'm excited for the 4th of July holiday! My cousin is having a big party and I just found out today how big it actually is going to be. What I thought was a decent-sized party for family and friends is actually going to be a neighborhood block party blow out complete with a full band, bouncy house for kids, and a mini-fireworks show (probably on the edge of legal if I know my cousin).

So now he's getting a free face-painter as well. I've printed out a bunch of model releases (thank you for the example Shannon Fennell) and some removal instructions. I'm completely winging it... no design book or board... just an ipad for inspiration. I figure I'll see what gets requested and give it a shot. Perhaps I'll come out with some decent pictures and a few go-to design ideas. At any rate, it will be good practice. Maybe I can talk all the little girls into pretty one stroke flower crowns.... since I've been obsessed with them this week.

Hopefully I won't regret this and it will be fun learning experience for me. I think I'm way too hard on myself and it's time to jump in and see what happens. Time to tinkle or get off the pot I guess! Smile

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Perfect "practice" gig!

Post by LittleMonsters on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 pm

If you're looking to get pictures to use for you, a word board wouldn't be a bad idea so that you know you're going to get pictures of those designs you absolutely want.  It doesn't take too long to make either - depending on what you want it to look like (can be simple or complicated).

I made this one pretty quickly one day:
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 pm

hmm, honestly, i'd recommend being prepared with a list or pics of designs you are confident you can do.  

winging it could get you requests for stuff you've never done, or images that are really elaborate.  the result - you don't paint as well, or it takes a really long time - both of which don't reflect well on you. you don't really want to practice in front of people, you want to paint at the level that will get you hired for events Smile

when i started out, i practiced at home and brought pics to the first events, but face painting in a public setting, outdoors, kids waiting in line, bumping my table, trying to look over my shoulder, asking for 3 designs, wind blowing their hair into the paint, was a whole other experience compared to taking my time at home painting my arm!

on the plus side - bring business cards, this could be a good opportunity to get some bookings. and you might even get some tips ($) Smile

Last edited by jlirie on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
jlirie

Number of posts : 1753
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah, put out a tip jar, for sure!
Have a good time! Not "charging" means you get to decide how long to take and what you will offer.
I find not charging, under the quantification of "practice" so freeing.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:02 pm

I may put together a word board for the basics. I haven't made my business cards yet and my cousin lives about two hours south of me anyway. in fact, we just got here.

I have no problem telling folks a design is too complicated or that I just don't want to do it. I know I can convince the kids in our family to get some of the specific designs I've been working on.

A tip jar is a fine idea as well. I just found out there might be 75-100 people at this shindig. I was thinking we would have about 15 kids (and 3/4ths of them would have been family) but apparently there will be more. Shocked This is starting to sound like work that is seriously going to cut into my adult beverage time.

Well, if it all starts to go horribly wrong I can pack it up and enjoy the party without feeling guilty. LOL

Hoo

Hoodat Whatzit

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:05 pm

lol, you're in for it now, pui, painting while under the influence Shocked Razz
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:46 pm

totally go in with at least a word board, otherwise you fall into painting the 'I'll have what she had' syndrome, or the classic 'butterfly, tiger, spiderman' over and over and over. Put some 'ideas' on the board that you want to practice, and encourage the kids to think of original things for you to paint so they can 'be famous and get in the book' Wink, discourage the "I want what she got" by saying that you never like painting the same thing twice, and that this time it will be a little different, but you promise it will be just as pretty. That way you can change things up a bit.

Good luck! and have fun!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Meh, I have no problem telling people I'm painting for practice, and I've already practiced what "she had" enough, and need to practice X,Y,Z. It gives them some options and saves me from painting forty-seven Spidey Dudes.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm

I like that approach Diane, just straight up tell em "i've already practiced that" i like it. Smile
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:16 am

I survived! I painted for way too long but everyone was happy. Started out with kids and then some of the twenty-something adults started a game of "let's surprise each other with designs" and started looking up full face designs on their phones. they were really patient and let me say no to a few but I admit it was fun to try a few things I never would have thought of doing.

It was great practice and I was really pleased with a few of the things I did "on the fly" so to speak. A lot of the older kids wanted designs on their arms instead of faces. my two favorite unexpected (unpracticed) designs was a dragon and a hummingbird. The girl that got the hummingbird just asked for any kind of pretty bird and I remembered Lisa joy Young's beautiful metallic hummingbird. I don't have blue metallics in my kit yet but I do have glitter!

I painted until my cousin's fireworks show started... Which turned out to be 40 minute fireworks show as good as (even better than some) I've seen that were professional. my cousin's house used to be on a little lake but a few years ago it dried up- they run 4-wheelers around on it now) so he was able to set it up away from his house. anyway after the fireworks I did a quick clean up, put the walls down on the tent and turned the lights off... Although people wanted me to keep painting... I was ready to start my own party. We left his house around two, then went back to my aunt's house and kept going. I made it to bed around 5:00am.

it was great fun, I made enough in tips to order some more paint (lol it is a vicious cycle isn't it?), and I did have people ask me about parties. They were disappointed when I told them I live two hours away. When I get back home, I'll take a look at the pics I took of some of the stuff and see about posting a few... Although many are of inebriated adults and I wouldn't want to use them for promotional stuff.

I do know I should have set up better. we didn't put walls up so people were able to stand on all sides of me and my table. it made me twitchy but no accidents.

Hoodat Whatzit

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 am

sounds like great fun, glad everyone got into it, and you got to do a bit of everything Very Happy. "let's surprise everyone with designs" sounds fun and adventurous.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top