Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Week long event and rain in the forecast...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week long event and rain in the forecast...

Post by Staley on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:38 pm

With guidance from many of you wonderful people, my daughter and I have enjoyed just over a year of occasional face painting work at various awareness campaigns, fundraisers and twice at the county fair's "Family Fun Night". And I feel like our work has improved quite a bit.

This year we were excited to sign up for a booth in a neighboring county at their fair. It's a very rural county but the fair is scheduled for the whole week this week with four days that include the carnival rides and such. Multiple days and longer hours are new to us but we are excited and my middle son is planning to do the glitter tattoos as well.

I went out today and found out that they had to replace their big vendor tent and it is way too crowded now because it is smaller than the old one. Since I have a canopy I said I could set up else where - we decided next to the food and facing the carnival rides would work. We decided that we would most likely only set up on the days that the carnival, bull rides, and mud run is going on. It is PPF and the booth rate was minimal. That sounded better to me anyhow until I saw the updated forecast...

Rain, rain, and more rain. So now I am wondering how I should set up. We can set up where we planned but if the rain comes after we set up we will be soaked and I don't want to set up and break down in the rain. Maybe some of the other vendors will not show up and I will be able to fit into the vendor tent. That puts me away from the rides which I though would be a draw BUT it would maybe be a place for people when the rain starts coming down and we would not be as apt to get drenched.

Any opinions on those options?

I guess my daughter and I should plan to maybe be helping with the glitter tattoos if the rain doesn't keep fair goers away.

What do you all do in similar situations?

Staley

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Week long event and rain in the forecast...

Post by Kal on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:44 am

I have a tent with sidewalls. Wear sandals or bring extra shoes and possibly a change of clothes. After this season my partner and I are so used to being soaked we don't even care anymore. With our setup the ground gets super wet but everything else stays dry. That's what is important in these situations.

Also, is it calling for rain or thunderstorms? Thunderstorms are a different ball game. You need to make sure that tent is properly anchored and weighted. If you get strong winds you will need to drop the top and be ready to hold on.

Rain is miserable and it kills a crowd faster than anything. It has been cutting into my profits for two months but you just gotta keep on keepin' on if you're serious about this business.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 am

Unfortunately my canopy does not have sidewalls, but I can take the big canvas backdrops that I use on the table and at least clamp those up if necessary. Thankfully we do have weights. Right now it's calling for rain but we are in Missouri so you never know how severe. Yesterday there were tornado sirens everywhere and we have had so much rain this spring that flash flood warnings seem to be a weekly thing.

Do you think it would be better to be by the carnival rides where we might be more visable OR try to get back into the big vendor tent where all the crafters and avon reps are? Initially I wanted to be away from them but they may have better protection from the rain.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:06 am

If you're the only painter there then it won't matter where you are the kids will find you. If you're not, then you want to be the one they see first.

By the food can be hit or miss because people will spend money on the food first.

The carnivals around here don't allow outside entities on their Midways but I always try to get as close to them as possible.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Good to know about proximity to the food. They had planned to have me with the vendors initially but the tent is too cramped. I am guessing some may not show because of the forecast but I could be wrong. I will be the only painter there so that is good.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:29 pm

I always ask to be placed by the food. It's my best placement.
Be prepared for the rain, but also for it to NOT rain badly. You might end up surprised.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:41 pm

The organizer just emailed me to say I can set up wherever it works out best for me (as long as I don't block anything) Smile

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:30 am

I would want to be under the vendor tent.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 am

Woke up to rain that is supposed to last on-and-off all day. I hope some of the vendors don't show up and I can fit in the big tent. Tonight is supposed to be the start of the carnival rides and that lasts through Saturday. Tomorrow evening is the bull ride and Friday is the mud run.

It is supposed to rain through Thursday and then be in the 90s and super muggy Friday and Saturday. I have glitter tattoo stencils and am working on some freehand in case that is all we get to do.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:09 am

maybe try out a couple different locations at the fair, to get a sense of which one is busiest. or driest Smile.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:08 am

I was hoping this fair would be a way to get a feel for multi-day events but it was pretty slow. We dealt with rain, mud, heat, extreemly high humidity, wiggly little ones, controlling parents, odd requests, etc. The other vendors said that we were busier by far than they were and that if it was always this slow they wouldn't be selling at fairs. Except the food vendors - they did fine. We did have fun though and came out ahead - just barely. My daughter has been painting with me for the past year at small events but this is the first time we brought my son to do glitter tattoos. What a hit! It was so nice to be able to steer kids to the tattoo when they were begging for face paint and mom said no because it was 9pm and they were going to take a bath before bed. I need to get him more supplies and I am definately planning on getting a cutter to make our own stencils. We also decided to practice some balloon twisting in our down time so the last day all the children got free balloon creations (because they were practice). Even though we did not make enough money to call this one a success based on that, I will still call it a success for what we learned and for future reference and the business and social lessons that my working children learned from it. The local vetrans home is supposed to contact me about an event in September, and a children's ministry wants us to do Christian themed face paint at one of their events. I didn't get their info because children were waiting but hopefully they will contact me. And the organizer of the fair has asked us to come back for the rodeo.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:12 pm

sounds like you were prepared, and no big problems or losses, so that's good. maybe the rodeo will be better, and hope you get some of the other business.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Sounds like it was a win, if not a slam dunk. Any time you can learn as you go, without feeling like a complete failure is valuable.
Good job!
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top