Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Face Painting scaming email

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Face Painting scaming email

Post by Fababiz on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:02 am

Hi all,

I don't know if I have seen the post here or on facebook and I have been trying to locate it. The post was about this face painter who received an email regarding someone wanted to do face painting for there son. The customer is not from the Country and has a family member living in the area and would like to have someone to paint there kids face. There would be appx 25 kids at the party. And apparently the email is a scam.

I want to know if any of you got an email like that as I just got one this morning and just wondering if this is the same scaming email post I saw previously.

If this is the scaming email I will sent it to the Fraud Dept.

Thank you!
Fababiz

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-04-04

http://fababiz.wix.com/fababiz

Back to top Go down

Re: Face Painting scaming email

Post by Kal on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am

What exactly is the point of the scam?
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Fababiz on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:49 am

I don't know, that is why I want to locate the post so I can have more information.
Fababiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fababiz on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Since I could not find the post I saw a few weeks ago.  I'd thought I would email the guy back but being very careful in what I would say.  with a few emails going back and forth, as I asked him the address to where the event is being held. His response was an address to a lady I know very well.  So I started questioning him on the address as I did tell him that I had several acquaintance with the lady who owns the house.  He even went to the extent of saying that the lady living at that address sold the house recently and he bought the house through a realtor.  Funny thing is that I never mentioned the lady that is actually living there is a friend of the family and she never sold her house and still lives in it.  

So I just thought I would bring it a little bit further.  So I emailed him my contract and the booking form.  He was never able to fill it out, find all the excuses in the book to sent it back and he event suggested that he could make the payment using a bank draft by me providing my banking information.  

So I professionally declined my service to him and that if he wanted us to do face painting for his event that we would meet in person to do a consultation for his event.  Strangely enough, he never responded back.  

I'm putting the first email I got from him so if any of you receive an email like this, please know it's a scam:

Good Morning!

My name is Nigel Jennett and i am writing you from Liverpool,United Kingdom where i am on a business visit.I am originally from Lansing,Michigan in the United States.We are living in New Brunswick as my wife is a Canadian.I will be glad if you can help with face painting for my boys(8 and 6 years old) and 25 other kids that would be attending my first child's birthday party coming up on October 9,2015 in our home.Kindly let me know your rate.Have a great day.

Best Regards,
Nigel

Fababiz

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:00 am

the big red flag is when he asks for YOUR bank info - classic scam tactic, asking for financial info or identification.

and the lie about your friend's house..
jlirie

Number of posts : 1803
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Fababiz on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Yes the big scam is about him asking for the banking information. A payment should not involve providing your banking information. With all the payment options we offer now there should be no reason for him to ask for our banking information, like you said jlirie, RED FLAG. Unfortunately there are some people that would fall into this trap.
Fababiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:47 am

Jririe and Fababiz.... You are both right that there is zero need for someone to get your banking information. It took me a few times reading to even get what was going on because I couldn't fathom how the scam was supposed to work. I kept thinking.... what are they gonna do? Book a party and never pay? There are so many options for a business to accept online payments safely!

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:50 am

The classic scam for face painters, entertainers, photographers, etc., is to ask us to process a credit card number. We will be asked to pay an event coordinator who does not have a way of processing credit cards. They ask us to also add in a generous tip for our services, and to Western Union the extra money to the 'event co-ordinator'. The credit card is a fraud, or stolen. By the time the credit card has been flagged and the money is clawed back out of your account, the fraudster already has the cash you sent them.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:30 am

I have had a cashier's check FedExed to me to do the same Fessie, for body painting. Since it was to be drawn from a Wells Fargo account, I insisted they call the account owner to verify while I sat there. Needless to say, the account owner (an elderly man in California) was flabbergasted. Neither the bank nor the police chose to investigate further.

Had I not felt odd about it, would have been cashed, the same scam with me paying the photographer, and then the bank told me drawn from MY account for reimbursement. Really?! So first the scammed scams me, and then you help him screw me over.
I thought they had insurance for this kind of thing. I left Wells Fargo & opened a credit union account.
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:50 pm

in this day and age, if you don't have your own credit card or direct method of payment, you don't have any business being out in public!

looks like the moral of the story is - if it's complicated and ends up with you holding the bag, it's probably a scam.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1803
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Well said!
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoodat Whatzit on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks for the clarification Fesspainter... I have heard of similar scams for other types of businesses. Yeah... the moment things get complicated and seem to involve a third party... run! Run fast! Smile

Hoodat Whatzit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 am

Everyone should know better than to ever give out their banking information.

I do not accept checks from anyone who isn't a corporation and even then I have them make it out to my name. I'd much rather have their bank tell me they have insufficient funds at no cost, then have my bank charge me $35 to tell me they have insufficient funds. I've never had this happen though. Big companies are usually good for the money.

The only problem I've ever had with doing that is when I did an event for the FBI and didn't realize their bank was on the grounds. Then I had a terrible time getting security clearance to get back in and get my check cashed lol
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top