Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello from So Cal!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from So Cal!

Post by Johnny5K on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:23 pm

My Bio:  I’m a guy with slightly above average artistic skills and delusions of grandeur.  About a month before my daughter’s 3rd birthday party we took her somewhere they were offering free cheek and hand art (quick rainbows, simple bears, etc.)  I watched and thought to myself I could TOTALLY do that myself and save on the cost of hiring a face painter!

So I went to Michael’s and bought myself a $24.99 Snazaroo starter set and had a frustrating time trying to paint anything remotely decent.  It was awful and I had no idea why my painting was so bad.  I did some research and found that the quality of brushes and paints made a huge difference so I bought a small starter kit of DFX 10 gram paints and some Loew Cornell brushes.

I immediately found out that it was MUCH easier to light up a kid’s face than I had thought.  It was also MUCH harder to replicate the skill and speed of face paintings that I had originally thought as just “meh” before I picked up the brush myself.  

By the time my daughter’s bday rolled around, I had expanded my kit with a couple of split cakes and a ¾ inch flat brush.  It was a very small party so I ended up painting a flower crown, a dragon, and a “frozen” design (blue swirls with snowflakes).

It’s been almost a full year now and I have multiple split cakes, added some glitter to the arsenal and I’ve done 3 larger sized birthday parties pro bono for really good friends.  Contrasted with even 6 months ago when I was so proud of the new unicorn design that I picked up…I look back now and shudder at the hideousness of the attempt.  I’m now decent enough to recognize that my designs are fairly weak, but good enough to brighten up a child’s face.

I’ve been lurking and absorbing information on this site for about 6 months now and wanted to come forward and formally thank all of you for your tips, tricks, advice and suggestions (and of course, design inspirations!).  This site has been the most concentrated source of my face painting improvement since I stumbled  on it and I wanted to say “Thank You!”…you guys seriously rock Smile

Johnny5K

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-09-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from So Cal!

Post by anniel on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:53 pm

I know--I appreciate all that I have learned here so very much too!!--seconds on "thanks" gang!

anniel

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from So Cal!

Post by Kris5115 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi and welcome!

Kris5115

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down