Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Brand/color for avatar face, dark skin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brand/color for avatar face, dark skin

Post by kdapy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi!
I would like to paint my husbands face as an avatar - but, am struggling to figure out what color to buy (and need to buy it online, shipped in time for Halloween!)

I don't want to buy a bunch of different blues - I don't have the time and money for a big experiment for this project. All of my current paints are snazaroo brand - and it seems like they might not have the best opaque coverage on dark skin (I haven't tried their sparkle or shimmer).

I am thinking I need something that is metallic, shimmer, or pearl... but, I need something that will create a nice, smooth, full coverage base.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good teal/turqouise/light blue paint, that will create an opaque base on dark skin?

Thanks!
kdapy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Brand/color for avatar face, dark skin

Post by jlirie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:31 pm

you could try a regular face paint with a shimmer powder over it.

here are some swatches on the model i had, a brown plastic bottle  Razz -

all colors were painted on pretty thick, and the 2 lighter ones were not as opaque as they look in the photo, and not as opaque as the darker blue.

left - snazaroo sparkle turquoise
middle - mehron paradise brilliant azur (metallic blue)
right - mehron paradise brilliant bleu bebe (metallic light aqua blue)

Last edited by jlirie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlirie

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kdapy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 pm

jlirie wrote:you could try a regular face paint with a shimmer powder over it.

here are some swatches on the model i had, a brown plastic bottle  Razz -

left - snazaroo sparkle turquoise
middle - mehron paradise brilliant azur (metallic blue)
right - mehron paradise brilliant bleu bebe (metallic light aqua blue)

Oooh, thank you.
Would you say that the middle one (the azul) was the most opaque? It looks like it, from the picture.
kdapy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:42 pm

yes, the lighter colors actually looked somewhat streaky in real life, but it was a smooth plastic surface, too, lol.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by kdapy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks! I'm wondering if the darker blue I have will be enough contrast with that azul. hmm.
kdapy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 am

do you already have a light blue, turquoise, or white that you could mix with it?

metallics are usually more sheer than regular colors, so one strategy is to mix a regular color with a metallic, to get the best properties of both. the metallic will of course be more subtle.

do you have any stores that sell theater, stage or clown makeup in your area? they often carry brands of face paints that are also used for theater.

in fact, mehron paradise, ben nye, and some of the others are actually companies that supply makeup for movies, tv, and stage productions, their use in lil' old face painting came out of that.

Last edited by jlirie on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by kdapy on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:09 pm

jlirie wrote:do you already have a light blue, turquoise, or white that you could mix with it?

metallics are usually more sheer than regular colors, so one strategy is to mix a regular color with a metallic, to get the best properties of both. the metallic will of course be more subtle.

do you have any stores that sell theater, stage or clown makeup in your area? they often carry brands of face paints that are also used for theater.

in fact, mehron paradise, ben nye, and some of the others are actually companies that supply makeup for movies, tv, and stage productions, their use in lil' old face painting came out of that.

I have Snazaroo sky blue, Snazaroo white, and a kryolan powder that's like a shimmery blue (I don't have the package to know exactly what it is... but the make-up shop guy also sold me some Ben Nye stuff to mix it with, so it stays put)

I thought I could use the sky blue as a base, then use the kryolan on top for stripes. But, there are two problems:
- there isn't enough contrast between the shimmery powder and the sky blue, and
- the snazz sky blue doesn't really cover his skin well. It just looks sort of... muddy? and not really opaque. like I smeared him with clay, or something.

I usually can't get him to dress up for halloween... so, I'd like this to actually work, so he might agree in future years! LOL.
kdapy

Back to top Go down

Post by kdapy on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:26 am

Sooo.... at the end of the day, I've decided to can the avatar idea. After trying a few different things, I'm just not happy with how it looks (and don't want to spend more $$$ on makeup).

Darth Maul, it is! I ordered a TAG red pearl... and, even if I don't like, it, I tried the snazz red that I already have - and, that will be "good enough". And, I'm confident in my ability to recreate the black pattern. Since he's wearing a hood, we're skipping the horns.

Thanks for your help! I'll post a pic of his face when I"m done. Smile
kdapy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 am

sounds good, better to go with something that works, than experiment with only a week to go!

snaz is less pigmented than other brands, especially noticeable in the lighter colors, as you found out.

you can see the paradise bleu bebe is brighter than the snaz sparkle turquoise above, even though they are basically the same color.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by kdapy on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:15 am

Yes!
Next year, I'll be more prepared.

After a few days of poking around here, I've ordered some new brushes, a mini-palette of DFX (I want to try the black & white for lines), and a neon rainbow cake. I think I'll have lots of fun playing with my new stash!

Thanks for your help!
kdapy

Back to top Go down

Post by kdapy on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for all of your help!  I thought I'd post an update, now that it's post-Halloween.

I used the snazz red (the TAG looked a bit pink), and the DFX black.  On my face, I used Paradise Lime and snazz sparkle purple.

Our costumes were a hit!

kdapy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:41 am

glad to hear it worked out. you were smart to be flexible and go with something you could do well.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top