Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Paint help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paint help

Post by Cute-ickle on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello folks, I'm in need of some guidance with regards to paint. I am currently using Snaz, I know that it isn't the best but didn't want to spend out too much if this wasn't going to work. I'm now starting to get to the point where I need to replace/upgrade. I'm looking at Diamond FX or TAG. What do you guys think, I'm liable to be using facepaintsdirect.co.uk
 Thank you in advance of any help :-) x

Cute-ickle

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Paint help

Post by mustangemi on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:48 am

When I switched over from Snaz (still my backup, just in case of... y'know, freak emergency), I bought a TAG palette with my choice of colors in it, and I've since sliced up the big cakes so that I've got 1/2 cake intact of each within the circles, and the other half used to make splits that I can sponge on if I choose, within the other circles left over. For me personally, it was more cost-effective than buying individual cakes.

That being said, I've got splits of both DFX and TAG, as well as Kryvaline and Global and Wolfe, and I'm afraid this is unhelpful, because... I like them all about equally. There are very subtle differences in colors between brands, but the quality is all very similar in my opinion.

So it comes down to which brand carries the colors you like better, and which one is less expensive in your country. Smile

Good luck!
mustangemi

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Cute-ickle on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:08 am

Thank you mustangemi, I have made snaz cakes so would happily do it again. You have been super helpful in the fact that you haven't warned me off either brand. I might go DFX black and white but TAG for colours (as they have more that I like). :-)

Cute-ickle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:49 am

I've been using Snazaroo for close to 15 years. I also use a lot of Kryolan. I have some Grimas, TAG (Pearl Black) and Wolfe (white, black and red).

I also have some DFX, Cameleon, and various other brands but don't have them in my working kit.

The Snaz colours that I would not ever be without are Bright Red, Sparkle Orange, Sparkle Lilac, Electric Blue, Yellow Ochre. I do use quite a few of the other colours too but interchange them with Kryolan depending on which I have on hand.

I use a lot of Kryolan. I like the consistency for sponging and the colours are bright.

Personally, I prefer the glycerine based brands (Snazaroo, Kryolan, Grimas, etc) over the wax based (Wolfe, TAG, DFX, etc.)

Wax based are used for line work, never bases with me. I've worn/tried all of the wax brands on myself and worn for a day while working - NOT comfortable and very drying. so I stick to the glycerine for bases and wax for lines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cute-ickle on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Ah thank you, very good point about the feel for longer wear, I'm definitely going to change for line work because I find that if that looks good everything else seems to 'pop'anyway. I've got a few of the colours you've mentioned and they do seem bright enough and blend lovely for bases. The other thing I'm going to upgrade are my brushes, I think that will make a huge difference to the finish.

Cute-ickle

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:44 am

yes, wax based paints and good brushes will improve your line work by a lot compared to trying to use snazaroo for linework.

snaz is fine for line work if you paint directly on bare skin, but over another layer of face paint it's more difficult to get crisp lines and details due to the muddy texture.

and i agree, buy face paints based on colors you love, including snaz Smile
jlirie

Number of posts : 1792
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Cute-ickle on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:10 am

Yes, I watched what the paint did as I painted yesterday and it's the line work more than anything that 'bugs'me. Thank you

Cute-ickle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top