Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

practice with watercolor ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

practice with watercolor ?

Post by shaun the florist on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Does anyone ever use plain old paper and watercolors to practice brush strokes and designs with? I can't help but consider the cost of practice, be it on a live model, template or prac. head. Is this practical or is my fiscal retentiveness clouding my judgement.

shaun the florist

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: practice with watercolor ?

Post by Fairytalesbymichelle on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Go for it! And YES facepaint is way more expensive than traditional paints. Besides you can stumble across traditional painting techniques that you can convert to facepainting! I would maybe just designate some brushes for practice that way real paint won't contaminate your nice expensive and hygienic facepaint Smile

Fairytalesbymichelle

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by shaun the florist on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 pm

good advice about seperate brushes fairytales. Good reason to upgrade some of my brushes and retire some older ones.

shaun the florist

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:33 am

absolutely, you can use any medium. i usually sketch out ideas with colored pens and crayons, then practice with face paints.

but do practice the final design with real face paints, preferably on skin, and more preferably, on a child's face. the texture of face paint and skin is much different than other paints and paper.  and a child moves and may wiggle, unlike the paper or practice head that sits there as long as you need, lol.

also, use the face paints you would use on the job, so you get skilled at using those brands. some face paint brands behave differently (i.e. cheaper vs more expensive, creamy vs wax based), so you don't want to practice with one brand and switch to others on the job.

you can take photos of your practice designs to use for your display, so they're not a waste.

jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:27 am

My daughter gave me something called a 'Buddha Board' for my birthday a few years ago. It is a board that you 'paint' on with water! I practiced tear drops like crazy on my Buddha Board. Nothing is like the real thing, though. I like practicing on my arm and legs.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by shaun the florist on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Appreciate the feedback, It's nice to know i'm still skill building while spending some crafting time with my kids. They love it! My seven year old comes up with some great design ideas, but she really is more of a "natural" than I.

shaun the florist

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:22 pm

that's great your daughter has ideas, since that's the demographic your aiming for!
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top