Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello from New Mexico!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from New Mexico!

Post by electric.girly.star on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:56 pm

I am new to face painting and find it very challenging at the moment, I paint using other mediums so I thought I'd pick it up right away.....boy do I have mad respect for anyone who has mastered this art. I typically practice daily as a way to get away mentally from school, stress, and daily chores. I'm so excited I found this forum! I'm curious how you find people in your area that paint also? I currently do not know anyone else who face paints.

electric.girly.star

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-10-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from New Mexico!

Post by Kris5115 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi and welcome! I'm sure your skills from other painting will show through as you continue to practice and feel the difference between the techniques. There's a show and tell thread for posting your work.

As far as finding others in your area, as you read this forum you may see others in your area. Also look on Facebook. There are several face painting groups (I'm in one for Midwest face painters since I live in the Midwest.) From time to time we get together to jam, practice designs, network and inspire each other.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:49 pm

hi and welcome electric.girly.star Smile i'm guessing the reason you don't know any other face painters in your area is either 1) they've been abducted by aliens who idolize them, 2) they are the aliens Razz

sorry, in couldn't resist!! don't hate me.

and i agree with kris, your experience painting in other media will help, human faces and arms are a bit of a different canvas aren't they?

jlirie

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by electric.girly.star on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 pm

HaHa and I actually live in Roswell, our small town has alien stuff everywhere! And yes, skin and the paint are so different! Getting the right consistency and keeping it there- my struggle! So I have an experiment, Im going to practice my line work by practicing my abc's since learning how to write and control the pencil taught me how to later draw, Im hoping that moving the liner brush to perfect my letters will help me get control of the brush. I only thought of doing it this way because I need so much practice with line work that I run out of ideas of things to outline or sometimes I ruin a perfectly good painting by adding too many lines because I'm practicing. Not sure where to share the results, once I've practiced for a while......or even the idea for others to try with me...

electric.girly.star

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

that's a cool idea to practice letters as they have different shapes and sizes of lines. liner brushes have pretty long bristles, a bit harder to control, have you tried regular round brushes in different widths?

and you've discovered "less is more" when it comes to line work. at one point in realized that if face paint is actually makeup, it should do what regular makeup does - enhance a person's features, not overpower them. colors, size, shape, and placement of the different elements should work with the human face.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:32 am

I would recommend practicing tear drops. Practice making them from pointy end to thick end and also from thick end to pointy end. Practice making straight teardrops and curved teardrops. Practice making small teardrops, long teardrops, big teardrops, etc. Many designs are enhanced with teardrops and learning to make them well is very helpful.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top