Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello from Ohio...Intro and need advice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Ohio...Intro and need advice.

Post by micheleg34 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi everyone! I'm Michele from Ohio. I haven't been face painting too long, but would love to start offering it for birthday parties, fairs, and festivals. I've been lurking here for a couple of months, and have learned alot, so I figured it was time to make myself known Very Happy

I've run into a bit of a snag when trying to make this a small business... I am a licensed cosmetologist, and didn't want to risk my license by breaking any laws or rules, so I asked the board a couple of questions on their facebook page (yes, the ohio state board of cosmetology has a facebook page lol) Here's what I asked, and the response I got...

"If someone wanted to offer a service at a festival where they teased a child's hair (new comb on each child), and sprayed it with the temporary colored hairspray, with disposable gloves being worn, and nothing else offered, would that fall under the cosmetology rules? If the person were a licensed cosmetologist, what k...ind of rules would need to be followed? Also, is festival face painting or birthday party face painting regulated?"

Yes, you can submit a request for a temporary special work permit (free of charge) that must be displayed at the off site location. It must be a stylist and their license must be in good standing. If you have such a request, e-mail them to Phyllis Jones at phyllis.jones@cos.state.oh.us

Not a huge problem there, except for the fact the permit is only issued for two days, and most festivals are at least three, and the fact that it has to be asked for two weeks or more in advance...but that's not the issue... The issue comes when you read the rules about sanitizing equipment in salons... rules which i would have to follow...

All creams and other semi-solid substances shall be removed from containers with a clean sanitized spatula. Spatulas made of a washable nonabsorbent material shall be sanitized before being used again. Spatulas made of wood shall be discarded after one use.

All powder shall be dispensed from a shaker or similar receptacle and shall be applied with disposable puffs or cotton pledgets, or other disposable applicators.

Not sure how to conform to these rules and still be able to paint... the paints are not really creams OR powders? Not sure if brushes are non absorbant either... any hints on how to follow these rules and still be able to paint for profit? Or should I just ignore the rules? I'm guessing most Ohio face painters don't even know this stuff, because I'm pretty sure most of them are not licensed.... If they aren't getting in any trouble for it, why should I be so picky?

If you've read this far, then Thank You! I look forward to getting to know everyone and to learning and sharing on this forum.

micheleg34

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Ohio...Intro and need advice.

Post by Psalmbook on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm in FL & don't know the answers to your questions, but I'm sure someone on here can help you.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I'm in Oz so I can't help you with rules and regulations - but reading your post it would suggest that those regulations were geared towards people working in a salon - beauty, or hair.
As far as I know being a face painter falls under artist and entertainment, not licensed beauticians.
Are you concerned that doing these activities would risk your license?
Would you be promoting your licensed activities or your face painting ones?
The guide lines seem pretty general/non specific.
Some paints like snazzaroo have antibacterial properties in them, wonder if that would make a difference.
I don't see how doing one "job" (being a face painter) effects doing another job (being a licensed cosmetologist).
Many of us have two jobs and doing one doesn't usually effect the other.
Unless I have misunderstood you?
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Metzpah on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm

hello and welcome!
Metzpah

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metzpah/sets/72157608680393072/

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:59 pm

You are welcome! And welcome to our group!

I have two words for ya: Shannon Fennell. She is a guru around these parts and can teach at length about sanitary practices. (Canada has some pretty strict guidelines for facepainters). There are ways to paint in which once the brush/sponge touches the skin, it doesn't touch the paint again (hey! that rhymed!). And each brush gets washed, sanitized, rinsed and completely dried before using again. It requires lots of brushes, lots of sponges, and dedication. But it's doable... Canadian painters do it every day. Read the entire thread of Cleaning Brushes, what's your system... I think she explains there.

Tash, since facepaint is makeup, so her cosmotolgy licensing becomes tricky because while the make-up side of cosmetics is more regulated here in how they are allowed to work and apply the products the body/face paint isn't.

So, while no one will probably rat you out to the Cosmotology License Gods of Ohio, probably no one around here will tell you to put your license/livelihood on the line.

Last edited by JBax on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by micheleg34 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes! JBax, I'll take a look at that thread. I'm pretty torn right now as to whether to continue to do the right thing by them or not... They seem to think that face painting is a form of cosmetics application, which does make sense, but it just seems so complicated to follow all their rules, especially when others aren't even aware of them...almost makes me wish I didn't know Rolling Eyes

Maybe I'll look for all Shannon Fennell's posts... I could use a guru!

micheleg34

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 pm

I just updated my previous post while you were posting! Ha! So, see above... again. scratch

Facepaint is makeup. And we probably should be a bit more regulated. It might help stop the $1 craft paint hookers across the street (sorry old wound, but I'm sure you get my meaning).

Oh, there's also a thread about facepainting for cruise ships. They require similar standards for their painters (floating peitry dishes). There was discussion about how to adhere to the standard.

There's a fair amount of Ohio painters here too... you could probably find yourself a jam while you're at it!
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by micheleg34 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:06 am

After working in a children's salon for two years, I definitely agree that face painting should be a bit more regulated when it comes to sanitation. We would often get school aged children in the middle of the day. the conversation would go something like this...

me- so why aren't you in school today? Is it a teacher education day or something?

Child- no, I have strep throat (or pink eye, or the flu, or chicken pox) and the doctor said i had to stay home.

ummm... so mom thinks it's ok to bring the child in and contaminate the play area, the chair they are sitting in, and possibly the stylist with whatever disease they are carrying? Somehow I think those same parents will not think twice about having their child's face painted while they are sick. I WANT to be sanitary, but having worked mostly with hair, I'm just not sure how....

And I really hate the acrylic craft paint "painters" too... Anyone who does even a little research knows how irritating and dangerous that stuff can be.

Edited: after some research, and some friendly advice from a local, I have discovered that face painting here is NOT governed by the cosmetology board. I will, of course, keep things as sanitary as possible, but am VERY relieved that I don't have to follow quite so many regulations! Thank you to everyone who offered advice, and to those who have welcomed me.

micheleg34

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:59 am

Welcome and sorry I don't have the answers you're looking for.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by len sherrard on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 am

Welcome, i'll be intriqued to follow this line of discussion. Last Halloween I was asked to set up my face paint station inside of a local beauty school, and for 5 hours I painted the teacher, students, and patrons of the school, and not a single word was said to me about my face paint not meeting and form of sanitary practices, does that mean I got a passing grade? In fact i'm already booked at the same school for next Halloween. Best of luck to you!
len sherrard

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-12-29

http://www.ellensburgfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 am

welcome! and good luck with finding your answers...
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 am

Welcome.
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:02 am

Welcome. Yes, I too find a conflict about sanitation comparing makeup and facepainting. But while I can use a new palette for each person I do makeup on, and use soap cleaned brushes I can't do the same with facepainting since the number are so much higher. It would be too expensive - plus I would have environment issues about using so much disposable stuff. So I use a sponge per person, don't paint near wounds, clean the brushes with water and take the water out between each person and let my paint dry out between each event, so nothing can grow there.
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:35 am

Hi Michele!

Welcome to forum! Glad some fellow Ohioans helped decode the mysteries- the "hair" and cosmetology rules and licensing are so different from state to state.

Sounds like you pursued the info and got a inane quote of rules and policy that seems intended to be painful enough to prevent most anyone pursuing it. Ironically the few times I have offered fun or crazy "hair" it really wasn't a big demand item. It's just more stuff for me to lug around that doesn't get used much! I can see that unless I was doing a high detail/model/photo session/grand opening/runway/competition kind of event I would not really need it.

It may be an easier-no fault solution if you are face painting to just treat it a completely separately independent venture/small business from your cosmetology biz/licensed background and
a)avoid the hair altogether except to swoosh it out of the way to paint,
b) provide a DIY cute feathery or foamy clip or headband to complement the paint that the client or you might slide in (without painting or spraying or actually "styling" said hair) taking with them or
c) let them spray themselves.

Let us know how it goes! Wishing you all the best in your new venture! Happy Painting!
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top