Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Storage container? Paints, glitter? where do I go from here?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Storage container? Paints, glitter? where do I go from here?

Post by Haylbop78 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Hello! I just wondered if anyone would mind offering some advice to a hopeful novice with stars in her eyes!!! (I currently dream in facepaint!)
I am just contemplating whether to buy some kind of pallette case where all my paints would be easily accessible. At the moment I just store and carry them all around in some kind of instrument case but it's a nightmare fishing everything out and trying to find what I need. Part of the problem is that I suppose I'm not yet sure what my main preference of paint is going to be. I have lots of Snazaroo colours which seem to be fine for the bulk of things, some wolfe essentials and metallix and a paradise black. The wolfe and paradise paint is new to me but I love it and way prefer the blacks to the snazaroo. Having seen other threads on here I'm wondering whether I might be better off changing all my snazaroo for wolfe or DFX (which I've never tried) because changing the black made such a dfference to my designs AND my confidence in what I was doing. I need the confidence else it can go horibbly wrong!!! I'm also considering whether I might be better off with powders for doing the bases of things like tiaras and eye designs (putting paint on with a sponge always seem to go outside my intended borders)?

Sorry I have so many more question marks in my head but I've already asked a load of questions - I warn you I tend to babble.....

If anyone has the time and patience to offer some advice I would be extremely grateful.....x
Haylbop78

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage container? Paints, glitter? where do I go from here?

Post by Magic on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm

A lot of this has been covered before - user the search feature and you will find a wealth of information.
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by koolkatkiwi on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 am

. . . however, we are always willing and happy to discuss these things again - there are always new ideas to come out in any discussion. It would be good to do searches as well as discuss things on new threads. Smile BECAUSE - If we all only ever did searches for our knowledge, there would never be any new discussion, and the forum would die.

Personally, I only just discovered the good quality face paints last November. Before that I was using the horrible stuff that playcentres and preschools use. Junk. I had only face painted a couple of times with those, and wondered why I couldn't get a good result.

Now, I've tried a few. I don't like Snaz, but have only tried one cake of it - I won't buy another. I like Kryolan a lot - great colours, and smells great, but it is a bit soft for my preference. I LOVE DFX - I have black and white in that, and it's fab for linework. I'll get more colours soon. I haven't tried Paradise, though I'd like to, and think I will soon. Their colours are supposed to be good. BTW, the Kryolan Interferenz colours are adored by most face painters - they're sort of shiny and add a gorgeous shimmer. I haven't tried powders at all, and can't comment on them. I can't see myself using them, though. There are some other good brands too - I haven't tried them.

A lot of it is personal preference, and I would advise trying a small cake of the different brands, just to get a feel for them and whether you want to get more, before ordering a whole lot. My advice to you is to buy a cake of black and a cake of white in DFX, use them for linework, because they're brilliant, and use your Snaz up for bases. It's a shame to waste paint, because it's so expensive.

On charging, my main advice or plea is - please don't undercharge and undercut. You only do our profession a disservice if you do - it degrades our image and perceived value.

Others can offer other comments and advice. Perhaps your questions are a bit general - too many things asked in one thread - maybe divide them up into different threads.

Please keep up your wonderful enthusiasm for face painting! It will show through in your work.

Kat I love you
koolkatkiwi

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-01-20

http://www.billkath.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:47 am

For colors, I prefer paradise. They are a better consistency than snaz, they smell better, and they are cheaper too($5.95 at the mad hatter magic shop).
For storage, I would suggest getting a couple of the big blue snaz palettes(you can buy them empty) and putting your paint in there. It is much easier to carry them around and store them that way. I've been storing all of my paints in an ArtBin super satchel from Joann fabrics(http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2739&PRODID=zprd_02094977a). They are really cheap, and they come in many colors.
Unfortunately, the only way to increase your confidence is to practice. A LOT. And don't worry if your lines aren't completely perfect. Most kids do not mind. They just like the fact that their faces are painted.
As for the powders, I have never worked with them, so I cannot give you advice. Just do your bases first with the sponge and your line work with a brush. Keep baby wipes handy to fix little mistakes, and remember that glitter works well to cover up mistakes.
Good luck getting started!
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Haylbop78 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks so much for your advice and the link....I was actually unaware of the search feature too so this was good to know and apologies for repeating the questions - guess I'm just too impatient to start getting better!!! Embarassed
I'm definetely going to try the DFX and Kryolan and think as the Snaz runs out I'll replace with Paradise...oo and the snaz pallette (oh dear, I guess my birthday wish list may have just changed!)
I've already started to use up my extra snaz colours by making up split cakes - wow! what a difference they make! (got that tip from using the search feature....) Very Happy (I just discovered the emotions too!!) Rolling Eyes
In terms of charging, I've really been unsure about that because I suppose I've always only volunteered and felt maybe I wasn't good enough to charge but theres that confidence thing again....I always get a really good reaction from people so I'm going for it!!! will check out what the rates seem to be in my area....

Thanks again for the tips - it's great!!!! cheers
Haylbop78

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

I like Snaz... but then, I'm allergic to DFX and the smell of Paradise makes me nauseous.... I have a little bit of kryolan but have not been impressed by any of it because it's all so translucent.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 am

No problem with repeating the question I have been on this site for over a year and I find that a very good tool when I need to find something- not sure if you where aware of it. Like I always say we all start at the beging just at different times. Alot of the advanced painters have posted some real good advice already though things change all the time as new products develop. Good Luck!
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:18 am

[quote="koolkatkiwi"]. . . however, we are always willing and happy to discuss these things again - there are always new ideas to come out in any discussion. It would be good to do searches as well as discuss things on new threads. Smile BECAUSE - If we all only ever did searches for our knowledge, there would never be any new discussion, and the forum would die.

ok so - repectfully-please don't however my response -I won't however yours. My help is as valid as anyone elses. Also when you use the pronoun we you make the assumption I agree with you with out my permission. I will make my own reponses the way I see fit, I am quite the independant thinker.

I was offering a tool I was not sure she was aware of- not shutting down the conversation.
Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Let's try and keep things nice here. I don't think she was trying to be mean... It was a good idea to teach her about the search function.
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:55 pm

You know the reality is you will most like change your set up and system for working again and again. It's a growth process. So for now try to stay with something inexpensive as it will change. Once you really find a groove you'll know it and then it's worth spending more for something custom or for just what you want.

So do look to stream line with containers and things that fit well into a carry all or wheeled case. And really try to cut out all the "stuff" - I have a fair amount of stuff I paint with but compared to most painters it is far far less. I like a clean system.

And why trade out paint you have - use it up - or as it's Snaz set it aside and use it for preschoolers then use other brands for older groups. Certainly I have preferred makeup but the top brands are all good and in the hands of experience can rock out any face. Frankly I could take any pallette, one to five brushes and a pot of iridescent glitter and go to town.

So with the tough times use what you have, even it you limit the population you use it with, and keep refining your system basing it on transporting the essentials in an attractive, easy to access and use system.

You' ll figure it out it just does take time.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 pm

So, it looks to me like you were asking for a way to organize your paint... I like using the snaz jumbo palattes. All the brands fit okay, and they are about $10 to buy empty. They are a bit flimsy, but not bad. I really like one lid for 8 cakes.
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by koolkatkiwi on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 am

Magic wrote:
ok so - repectfully-please don't however my response -I won't however yours. My help is as valid as anyone elses. Also when you use the pronoun we you make the assumption I agree with you with out my permission. I will make my own reponses the way I see fit, I am quite the independant thinker.

I was offering a tool I was not sure she was aware of- not shutting down the conversation.

Margie, I apologise if you didn't mean your post in an offensive way. I certainly saw it as an attempt to shut down the conversation, and a snub. If I had just joined the forum and had made only 5 posts and you wrote that to me, I would be devastated. Devastated. I would have left the forum and never come back. But, it seems Hayley is made of stern stuff, and will stay the distance.

I will not include you in a "we" in future. I will instead say "many of us - but I can't speak for everyone". Not only is your help as valid as anyone elses - it is very valid, because you're very good - IMO, that is. But I hope you make sure that people understand that you are offering help, and not a complete brushoff. I had actually not thought that what I said was offensive to you, either, or needed any response, so there you go.

BTW, I had a look on your website and I like your painting very much. I particularly liked the arm heart, the big spider, alien monster, Valentines2, and the cheek flower that exactly matches the lady's dress.

Here's a note I made to myself on my FB page today:

"Canadians, Americans, Kiwis, Aussies, English, Irish, Scots, Welsh - we all speak the same language. But - the cultural differences are enormous. I belong to two of these groups, which complicates matters. We all relate quite differently. Note to myself to remember this."

Kat I love you
koolkatkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by koolkatkiwi on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:12 am

OMG I forgot the South Africans. I hope they don't get the pip with me! Laughing

Kat I love you
koolkatkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Hayley-

The "bug" has bitten you. It was great to read your post as it reminded me of when I first got the FP bug. It made me smile as I remembered driving my family crazy as I up late reading every forum, looking at every paint internet shop, people's websites, watching youtube tutorials.....

You will learn, grow and change what you like and think you must have paint wise and kit wise as Loretta has said. You will go to a class, jam, or convention and see how someone creatively uses something you never saw before, hated, or something you would never have thought of, and have to try that. All of this is part of the adventure!

I am on celebrating my 2nd year anniversary of painting next week and am on my 3rd setup. Currently my main "big" setup is 2 mehron laptop pallettes (with different brands of my favorite paints and a couple of splits). A small case with glitter, glitter gels, gems, glue, and a pin for clogs. A brush case/easel. A folding water dish and all my quick shimmer powder applicators (from Modern Magick here). It all fits in a scrapbooking mega roller tote with extra tattoos and stencils stashed in it for emergency situations and getaways! Then a hot green mesh stuff it bag with my sponges, water container, tip jar (with cards in it), and hair spray and glitter sprays.

I have a "small" quick setup that consists of a **LMart found cupcake holder tupperware type containter setup for smaller gigs like what the Wolfe guys use. I was so impressed with their efficiency and compact setup and they create just about anything with what's in their 16 by 12, 5 inch deep tupperware. My mouth dropped when I saw it!!! It is good to see different set ups and prob one of the most cool parts of going to jams and conventions other than the "art" itself!
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:27 pm

WedyO... your making me more excited about going to FABAIC!!!

Yes, my set up has changed & may change again(or have different set-ups for different types of gigs).
I know from homeschooling... you end up buying a lot of stuff that you never use.
Be careful you don't go overboard in the beginning & BUY, BUY, BUY, everything you see. I've given myself a percentage of my monthly face painting income to purchase product & equipment.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama on Mon May 10, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm a wolfe junkie.

Like Paradise too.

Don't do snaz - it does not hold up well at all in humidity.

I actually use my old Paradise palettes and Wolf Sampler palette to make split cakes in. I like them small.

But like others said on here.......once you figure out YOUR likings, you'll do it your way.
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Mon May 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Haylbop78 wrote:I have lots of Snazaroo colours which seem to be fine for the bulk of things, some wolfe essentials and metallix and a paradise black. The wolfe and paradise paint is new to me but I love it and way prefer the blacks to the snazaroo. Having seen other threads on here I'm wondering whether I might be better off changing all my snazaroo for wolfe or DFX (which I've never tried) because changing the black made such a dfference to my designs AND my confidence in what I was doing.

I suggest you hang in there with your Snaz before you make the expensive decision to change out everything. Especially if you are planning to paint children, Snaz is really easy to wash off.

That said, Snaz Black and White are their weakest colors for linework in my opinion and take a long time to get used to. But they are fantastic base colors. You're 100% right Wolfe and DFX Whites and Blacks are much easier to use for lines, but I know you can get used to the Snaz at least until you use up what you have.

When I first started painted I got so frustrated that I thought I would never get the hang of it. I'm a pretty good oil painter and I thought I could just breeze my way into facepainting WRONG Very Happy It's such a different experience painting on skin and with all the different types of paint, but I figured out that even though I have preferences, I can make them all work for me.

Hang in there with your Snaz and see what happens...

Cheryl
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSparklingLady on Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Haley, guess what? You will be changing your mind about what you like, on and off FOR YEARS! Smile

Face Painting is very organic, sometimes you look at someone and want to use this kind of paint sometimes that. Also, one you get the weight, the heft, the feel and density and pigmentation of various brands, you will figure out what you need for various individual faces.

Organization is fluid too. I just got the (IMHO) coolest most perfect folding table to use that I have ever had: I bought it at WalMart. It is 4 feet long and it is about 2.5 - 3 feet wide. The best thing about it is that it allows me to move my stuff around a bit which I like to do and it is NOT to heavy to carry. I have my paints in similar cases but in different colors . So I can quickly grab what I need. I have my splits in a box.

My brushes and other items I don't move much.
TheSparklingLady

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.thesparklinglady.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin on Mon May 10, 2010 7:26 pm

CreateFaces wrote:
Haylbop78 wrote:I have lots of Snazaroo colours which seem to be fine for the bulk of things, some wolfe essentials and metallix and a paradise black. The wolfe and paradise paint is new to me but I love it and way prefer the blacks to the snazaroo. Having seen other threads on here I'm wondering whether I might be better off changing all my snazaroo for wolfe or DFX (which I've never tried) because changing the black made such a dfference to my designs AND my confidence in what I was doing.

I suggest you hang in there with your Snaz before you make the expensive decision to change out everything. Especially if you are planning to paint children, Snaz is really easy to wash off.

That said, Snaz Black and White are their weakest colors for linework in my opinion and take a long time to get used to. But they are fantastic base colors. You're 100% right Wolfe and DFX Whites and Blacks are much easier to use for lines, but I know you can get used to the Snaz at least until you use up what you have.

When I first started painted I got so frustrated that I thought I would never get the hang of it. I'm a pretty good oil painter and I thought I could just breeze my way into facepainting WRONG Very Happy It's such a different experience painting on skin and with all the different types of paint, but I figured out that even though I have preferences, I can make them all work for me.

Hang in there with your Snaz and see what happens...

Cheryl

I'm still not understanding this concept that people have where they think Snaz is really cheaper than any of the other brands...
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Ashley Pickin wrote:I'm still not understanding this concept that people have where they think Snaz is really cheaper than any of the other brands...

Who said Snaz was cheaper? I was saying that it would be expensive to have invested in Snaz only to change to another brand without using it.

Just to clarify, I don't think they are cheap quality either, I use almost exclusively Snaz.

I was specifically talking about the weakness of Snaz black and white for linework in my opinion. I think they are harder to line with because the other colors bleed through the white and the black needs to be laid down just right or it does not appear as rich.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Mon May 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi all, I love snaz for how light it goes on and how nicely it blends. I love the wolfe metallix for line work but always lay a base of snaz under the green so it doesn't stain. I use the paradise black and white and really like some of their other colours. I've made really nice split cakes from the snaz that are wonderful. Some colours are better, brighter and have more coverage in each brand. I pack brushes, cakes, glitter, mirror, business cards and sponges in a vintage train case and everything else(water, cups, wipes, more sponges etc in an open top craft tote)
You'll love lots of stuff and find your groove, I'm obsessed with online shopping, wondering what the colours will be like. I live in rural Canada and don't ever have an opportunity to go into a store and see things side by side.
Have fun!
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 am

[quote="koolkatkiwi I haven't tried powders at all, and can't comment on them. I can't see myself using them, though. There are some other good brands too - I haven't tried them.[/quote]]

LOL I remember saying that a few years ago... so much for that! I think the main thing to be remembered when you are face painter is that personal styles, preferences, and one's materials often change over a period of time. I started out with snaz years ago and have worked my way up to Wolfe and DFX. I also used to NEVER use glitter gel... well, we can see how THAT worked out as well. Razz The main thing is to just remember this is an art full of trial and error, ou just have to find you particular groove. afro
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 am

I love 'em all! Wolfe/dfx, paradise, starblend, snaz(I don't have much good to say about aquacolor:-)
I'm actually starting to revisit snaz for a less expensive kit when I work for my church(free). I don't want to use my expensive stuff when I'm not making money & the little snaz kits are only $16. I guess this is saying... it's dependant on what you need. I'm just thankful there's so many options available!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like ...... and hey guess what??? I don't have to defend either to anyone. That is the beauty of free thinking and free choice. It is not to put down anyone elses decision to use or not use a product, or make that product seem inferior.

I too do not use snaz anymore, I was not pleased how it performed for me, so I gave it to my 10 y/o who is just starting out and it is great for her too learn with. But it was my choice, not formed on the backs of others opinions but my experience it using that product.

To whom it was who posted the original question, you will find that your needs will change overtime, and while it is nice to ask for suggestions to get an overall feel for what products are out there, the decision needs to come from you own experience in using that product. Can't make an informed decision about something you've never used or if you don't have something else to compare it to.

So as for the Snaz you have purchased, if you have already started to use the product, then don't waste your money by just getting rid of it. You could use it as your home practice set up or like Psalm suggested for gigs where you volunteer your services. If you have not used the products and are having second thoughts, then by all means send it back if you can and get something else.

As you become a more seasoned painter your decisions will be based on what bests suits your needs, not on the backs of other peoples opinions.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 am

In my at home practice set up I use the wolfe fx essentials/metallics palettes and the kryolan powder palette.

My working kit carries DFX essentials/metallics/neons colors, Starblend powders, Ben Nye Lumieres, Kryolan aqua color and interferenze palettes, arty cakes and rainbow cakes and my glitter tat set up.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top