Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

"Kosher" Brushes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Kosher" Brushes

Post by PhillyFaces on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:43 pm

This question may seem out of the ordinary to some:

Most if not all of my family and friends avoid pork/beef and pork/beef by products because of cultural beliefs, Iíve become aware of some brushes that are made with boar bristle. Iím certain the issue will arise in the future and itís an accommodating factor when Iím servicing to be conscious of respective practices. Has anyone had to manage this and if so what brand of brush would you recommend?

* Time to get back to work Rolling Eyes however I shall return. Thank you in advance.

PhillyFaces

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Re: "Kosher" Brushes

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Which brand of brush is it that uses boar bristles? Personally those would strike me as being a bit too stiff and coarse for face painting, unless they refine them? To avoid any conflict you may try synthetic bristle brushes; they come in basically every style you want, and don't use natural animal hair, yet they perform about as well as any natural hair brush. You just would have to look at the packaging to see that is says "synthetic bristle" on it. Just a thought.
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:34 pm

You won't generally find boar used in the brushes we use. Generally it is a stiffer hair used in brushes for oil and acrylic painting.

Natural hair used in the brushes we use include sable and sometimes squirrel.

If you are worried about breaking kosher, stick to synthetic/acrylic brushes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:04 pm

That's what I was thinking Shannon, now that you mention it, I think a few of my oil painting brushes are made with boar bristles. But I obviously don't use those for face painting, they'd hurt and cause irritation because they are so stiff and coarse. And squirrel? Really? That's fascinating, I'm going to check out the packaging of my brushes from now on when I buy them. I would have expected like horse or rabbit hair, since they are often raised for stuff like that, they're livestock. I guess we learn something new everyday!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PhillyFaces on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:19 am

So appreciative Shannon and Sandra! I understand better now what to look for. It's the little things that people look for / ask about . . .

Enjoy your weekend!
PhillyFaces

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletattoos on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:10 am

Goat hair too.
twinkletattoos

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2010-04-23

http://www.twinkletattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 am

I am Jewish, I understand the question completely. I have a set of synthetic brushes I picked up from Michaels craft store (with a coupon) just for B-mitzvahs, JCCA events, my extended family, etc. I found they work just as well as the natural. It just took a bit of practice for me to get use to them.
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 pm

You know, they are not supposed to eat your brushes ;-)

But interesting questions. I often paint in areas with lots of Muslims, guess it would be the same problem. Not that I have ever been asked about that. My guess would be the first ones would be from Greenpeace or something. Come to thing about it, I have painted for them, glad they didn't ask about my brushes, I do like the sable ones!
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Greenpeace is probably fine with sable... PETA would be the ones to get angry about it!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:26 am

Yes, I mixed up Greenpeace with Peta, thanks.
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Now... if your brushes had whale bone or Norwal tusk handles then I'm sure Greenpeace would step up!!

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:56 am

So does this mean they don't use leather at all? Does that mean you cant use sable brushes as well? Hmmm interesting question, but in short synthetic/acrylic would solve the problem. My family is Seventh-Day adventist, and they dont eat shrimp, pork, etc...(what it says in the Bible), but seeing as we aren't eating it, I don't think it would be a problem...
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top