Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Face Painting virgin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Face Painting virgin

Post by MichelleLA on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michelle and I'm a face painting virgin...

I've been soaking up lots of great information from the fantastic folks on this board for the past 2 months but have yet to paint a face....Embarassed

Perhaps I should change my name to scaredy cat!!!

So far have been experimenting with brush strokes and have done a few cheek art type things which have turned out ok but I know I have a lot to learn --

I have a 5 year old who so far refuses to have his face painted and 2 who every time she sees my paints points to her arm and says "painting" Smile

Anyhow, everytime I took my kids to an art activity I kept wanting to pick up the paints and do things myself and while I know I need training and practice, somehow I feel that I can do this -- and hopefully come close to painting as well as the amazing artists on this site.

Though I have read every new post in the past couple of months and have worked my way through about 40% of the olds posts now that I've come out of hiding, I have tons of questions to ask -- I'll try not to repeat old questions but the search thingy doesn't always work so please be gentle with me Smile

Last edited by kittee on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Face Painting virgin

Post by Lyndell44 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:59 am

Good luck!

Lyn
Lyndell44

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:13 pm

welcome!
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Metzpah on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:13 pm

hello and welcome Smile
Metzpah

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metzpah/sets/72157608680393072/

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie t clown on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

When the house is quiet, after the kids are in bed, pull out the paint and paint your own face. Have fun with a design then snap a pic, wash your face, and go to bed. Try doing it one or two nights a week until it becomes a fun habit. You will build confidence and be amazed when after a month you compare old and new pics. I find face painting very relaxing. It provides a creative outlet that my personality requires!
Where in Southern California are you? I live in San Diego.
rosie t clown

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndell44 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:48 pm

I do what Rosie suggests every morning after my workout and before my shower. Usually after something I've seen on this forum inspires me! Good luck!

Lyn
Lyndell44

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Kittee, welcome to the forum(I'm an inner arm painter & paint it almost every night). Be brave & just paint! Get pics so you can see your progress!
When I started off I didn't have this forum to guide me & had to figure it all out on my own(lots of drippy butterflies & kitty's Smile
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:51 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Rosie -- I live in LA -- wish I was in San Diego!

Yes, in theory after the kids are asleep is great but by that time I'm pretty exhausted -- my husband promised to let me paint him tomorrow after the kids are asleep --- I really want to start with a butterfly Razz but I think he'll prefer the tiger or spiderman...
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by TwinkleGlitterStar on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:02 am

If you want to do it, you'll deffo be able to! I only started facepainting in the past year and ive literally only done 3 gigs, the past 2 sportsdays that my little sisters have had, ive done it and once at a festival.
Don't be afraid of messing up and making mistakes, its the only way you can learn to do it better! Copying peoples work (for practice) always works a treat, as its easier with an example and you learn new techniques that you can apply to your own designs!
Have fun and good luck!
TwinkleGlitterStar

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 pm

We pride ourselves on being gentle within this forum, so no worries there.

All great suggestions already written. As far as being exhausted, I hate to say it, but you just have to get past that to get into this profession. I work a conventional job between 40 and 45 hours per week, I'm married and we have 2 kids.

After my husband took a 25% pay cut we needed to find a way to bring in extra cash with unconventional hours, WA LA! Facepainting.

Taking the plunge to start this business meant big loss of free time. During the summer and other busy months, I've worked several weeks without a day off.

At first it was brutal, because I had to practice so much and I was so used to having at least an hour or two (if I was lucky) of free time each night to myself. That all went out the window rather quick.

Now that I look back on this past year, (my business' one year anniversary is August) I'm so happy I pushed my tired self to do this and I'm so proud of how far the businees has come.

That was my very long winded way of saying if you really want to do this, hang in there for a little while, the tiredness will pay off.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by len sherrard on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Welcome, and how fortuate to have a willing canvus handy, lol
len sherrard

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-12-29

http://www.ellensburgfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:00 am

Welcome to the group & ditto to all the above. I too started painting my own face as I was pregnant with my first child when I started face painting. I was doing leadlight & stained glass but had to stop due to being pregnant but I still needed a creative outlet. So some 8years later I'm still very much addicted to face painting.
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by melisadill on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:49 am

Kittee, Girl, I'm feelin ya! I'm the kinda person that I gotta do all kinds of research. I had never really picked up a paint brush, but when I discovered this really cool kind of face painting, I knew I had to go for it. At first, all I did was the cheek art stuff and line work on my legs and arms. I have a son who was 6 when I got started and he ran from the brush too, little turkey! tongue And my 3yr old wants me to paint him, but bless his poor heart, I'm way to slow and he looses patience. So we have very simular stories. I began painting on myself and it's crazy how I have improved! It's like putting on makeup, just a little extream, lol! I do like the rest has suggested, usually at night or it'll be during nap time. But get that practice in, it'll make a huge difference! Best of luck to ya, you'll do great. And you have chosen the right forum. These guys & galls are fantastic and not the brutal kind! I love you
melisadill

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-12-09

http://www.makinfacesms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top