Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Sanitized paints?!?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sanitized paints?!?

Post by Judy on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:38 am

Ok everyone... honest... I really don't spend my time checking all facepainters sites... I just kind of stumble into some.

I'm in Regina visiting family and the exhibition is going on. So, decide to go and see if there is any facepainting going on there. We find free facepainting... yikes... that was really scary. For the most part they were using Snazaroo paints, but I did see a suspicious little container of red liquid paint (I think that was liquid tempera paint). Happen to find another fp, ppf booth, and they are from British Columbia. I start up a conversation as there were no customers at their booth and they give me a pamphlet about the company they work for: A Star Art Parlour. In our talk they told me that BC's health regulations are even stricter than Alberta's... WHAT?! I tell them about Alberta's and they say that they have to do all that as well.

Anyways, I come home and am curious about them and find that they are declaring that their paints are 'sanitized'. (They also claim that Snazaroo is antibacterial which I know is misleading). Does anyone else 'sanitize' their paints and if so..... how do you do it?

http://www.hotfrog.ca/Companies/A-Star-Art-Parlour/Face-Painting-16978 (an ad for their company)
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Re: Sanitized paints?!?

Post by Criss on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:00 am

peculiar, very peculiar

Is there anyone on here from BC? Hopefully they would have some insight to this?
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 am

wonderful tiger they got there... lol
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:36 am

Ok, I'm BC...what is a BC company doing all the way in Regina?! Oh, wait. Went on their site - they've just expanded.

I haven't seen them around a lot, personally, but I did see them on Canada Day. They had a line so I couldn't get very close, but I did manage to see Snaz jumbo palettes and what looked like a SF rainbow cake with I believe one maxi mop thing (so...how would they clean it? One sponge = sanitized my rear end...). I also know that I saw the most awful tiger being painted there. I try so hard to not be snarky (lol) that as long as I see them using proper makeup, I won't ask to talk to the person in charge.

A Star is the company that paints at the Cloverdale Rodeo each year - PPF, and 24% goes back to the Rodeo, I guess in lieu of vendor fees? Anyway, they are the "official" fps for a ton of sports teams etc here...and they've got an ad for hiring. (And they're clearly good at marketing.) This says to me that they just need PEOPLE to paint - not necessarily great fps. And, as I did when I worked for a large event company, they tell us what we're meant to tell clients, and maybe we don't do our own research (for $11/hr? Ha.) but why would we doubt their word? I think they were just trying to talk themselves up/don't REALLY know what they're talking about.

I know my kit is clean - one sponge per person, brushes cleaned at the end of each work day etc - but I know Albertans have tougher guidelines!

(I hope that made sense...been a loooong day.) (Did I even answer the question?)
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:16 am

Nice "tiger".... affraid

I don't know if paints can be sanitized, but I did see a face painter at FABAIC spray her paints after each use w/ a mix of vinegar & the sanitizer you clean your make-up brushes with(It's the stuff you buy from make-up places like Sephora). I don't remember what she said it was. I wipe mine down w/ an antibacterial wipe meant for use on skin at the end of the day. I don't know if it sanitizes it, but it does make them look better as I'm a blender Very Happy
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Coming from the makeup side of things, I'd suggest to sanitize use either a spray - http://www.beautysoclean.com/ or UV - http://www.paintandpowderstore.com/proddetail.php?prod=PPS-0097&cat=242

(although personally I just go for the single dip or scrape to palette prevention methods)
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 pm

My dear friend Stephanie Dalvit is a professional MUA, body and face painter - you can see her in the Creative Faces book and plenty of her work on Barney ..... she sprays all her face paint cakes down with a spritz of alcohol after each use. Many MUA do this - I do it honestly just not every single time - although cakes are wiped down and my palette box is washed with my brushes and sponges before each gig. And I keep separate kits for use on face and body.
I don't paint kids faces with body paint.

All you need is alcohol on cakes, it will kill what you are concerned with but evaporate very quickly off your makeup - anything else does not evaporate that quickly. Simple cheap and effective.

Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Of course "Kristal." Sorry I had a brain burp and totally forgot you were in BC. Very Happy Thanks for the info.
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda H. on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 am

Face paint is designed to work with water, if you start "adding" things to it you change its chemical makeup and therefore void any warranty the maker provides, also creating additional areas of risk. I would also check if any of these uses have to be declared legally to the public. I would be less than impressed if somebody started spraying my child with vinegar!!!!!!!

If you use a clean sponge for every base and always paint on a base, you are not actually coming into contact with the skin, but are merely apply paint on top of paint.

The only area of possible cross contamination is if you paint an already infected area such as a lip or a cut.

I would happily use the average painters kit in preference to the average make up artists - Our products by their nature do not provide an environment that harbours bacteria.

Amanda H.

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-18

http://visage-design.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:11 am

Later we returned and saw a couple of customers being painted and well let's just say if you're into 'abstract' facepainting it was fabulous. Their designboard also contained pics from some facepainting books without credit to the artist.

When I talked to the manager she said the company makes about
$250, 000/year. They are headed up to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan next for that fair.

Apparently the facepainters travel so they aren't trying to find local talent for their booths.

Didn't see many kids (only 2) walking around with their face painted but did see a pile of airbrushed tattoos from another booth.

Another strange thing for their website is a pile of their site pages don't exist. A contact page, becoming an artist
and home, no pricing, photo gallery, testimonials etc. http://www.astarartparlour.com/
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 am

I tried emailing them yesterday. Bounced back. Tried a different address. Bounced back again.

Their site has been like that for a while. I remember going on it last January (2009) when I was trying to get into the Rodeo, and none of the links worked then, either.
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:49 am

I am all about safety, but I just don't agree with spraying the paints with things like alcohol or vinegar. How do we "know" it all evaporates and doesn't change the paint.

Try not to be sucked into all of the marketing and scare tactics out there. Keep your kit clean, wash your brushes with soap and water and wash your sponges with hot and soapy water (I throw them in the washer in a lingerie bag) and don't paint on anyone that looks sick or has a cut or sore.

Beyond this, I think a lot of the marketing and scare tactics are to convince you to buy one paint over another or buy products you don't need.

The most cause of contagion is going to be from you. Don't freak out. I just mean all the things you touch coming and going to a gig. People out there are just nasty and rarely wash their hands. They touch it, and then you touch it. Keep your kit super clean, keep hand sanitizer and baby wipes at hand, and refuse to work when sick or paint others who are sick and you should do just fine.

PS These are all my personal opinion, not facts, marketing or tactics to get you to buy one paint over the other or buy other products. LOL

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm

I do spray my kit with Beauty So Clean...not as religiously as I spray my everyday makeup, but I try. At first I was skeptical about the companies claims but then bit the the bullet and had a friend of mine do a culture swab on my makeup. Needless to say, one I got the results back (and after a couple of beers I needed to have after being so thoroughly grossed out) I ordered BSC and I've never looked back. I dumped my old makeup because nothing less than setting it on fire was going to satisfy me, but I've had her run culture swabs on my eyeshadow and lipstick before and after and there was a significant reduction in the bacteria growth. She's thinking about doing a writeup about the dangers of bacterial growth in makeup...but I won't read that report ... ever! I have noticed that my face doesn't break out nearly as much as it used to. But I digress...

To stay on topic, I do use Beauty So Clean on my kit and the light misting has never changed the performance of my makeup. If its formulated for cosmetic use, its good enough for me. Hella expensive though...
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jnjkoz on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:01 am

Okay I am no chemist, but I will try very hard to explain this as best I can. I attended a conference a few years ago to learn more about face paints how they work and so on....One of the reasons I chose wolf efx paints exclusively, even as a newb, was because I learned there was a chemical in them called Sodium Benzoate. Sodium benzoate is a type of salt that may occur naturally in some foods but is more likely to be chemically produced and added as a preservative to foods. (in this case face paints that are approved by the FDA) The reason you will note sodium benzoate listed in the ingredients of so many foods is because it works very well at killing bacteria, yeast and fungi. You will most commonly see it used as a preservative in foods with a high acid content, since sodium benzoate will only work when the pH balance of foods is less than 3.6. It is therefore effective in most sodas, vinegar, fruit juice, and in mixed ingredients like salad dressing. It is additionally used to stop the fermentation process in wines.

I am attracted to this because if you look at the MSDS of the Wolfe paint, this is an ingredient in essence, my paints keep themselves clean chemically, in addition, they keep my brushes clean too. Now, this does NOT mean that I don't have to clean them, I still keep my kit, my brushes and my kit very clean, sanitized and fresh I do not welcome bacteria in, but I am assured that from one use to the next, I will not be t be growing unknown parasites, bacteria or virus in my paints.
jnjkoz

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Well said JNJ!

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by twobluestripes on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:45 pm

jnjkoz wrote:Okay I am no chemist, but I will try very hard to explain this as best I can. I attended a conference a few years ago to learn more about face paints how they work and so on....One of the reasons I chose wolf efx paints exclusively, even as a newb, was because I learned there was a chemical in them called Sodium Benzoate. Sodium benzoate is a type of salt that may occur naturally in some foods but is more likely to be chemically produced and added as a preservative to foods. (in this case face paints that are approved by the FDA) The reason you will note sodium benzoate listed in the ingredients of so many foods is because it works very well at killing bacteria, yeast and fungi. You will most commonly see it used as a preservative in foods with a high acid content, since sodium benzoate will only work when the pH balance of foods is less than 3.6. It is therefore effective in most sodas, vinegar, fruit juice, and in mixed ingredients like salad dressing. It is additionally used to stop the fermentation process in wines.

I am attracted to this because if you look at the MSDS of the Wolfe paint, this is an ingredient in essence, my paints keep themselves clean chemically, in addition, they keep my brushes clean too. Now, this does NOT mean that I don't have to clean them, I still keep my kit, my brushes and my kit very clean, sanitized and fresh I do not welcome bacteria in, but I am assured that from one use to the next, I will not be t be growing unknown parasites, bacteria or virus in my paints.

If this applies to wolfe, does it also apply to DFX? I think that spritzing brushes with alcohol a couple of times a gig and wiping them w/ a wet wipe afterward would be just as effective as spraying directly on the paints, and this way you're not messing with the paints if you're worried about performance or warranty.

twobluestripes

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jnjkoz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:37 pm

twobluestripes wrote:
jnjkoz wrote:Okay I am no chemist, but I will try very hard to explain this as best I can. I attended a conference a few years ago to learn more about face paints how they work and so on....One of the reasons I chose wolf efx paints exclusively, even as a newb, was because I learned there was a chemical in them called Sodium Benzoate. Sodium benzoate is a type of salt that may occur naturally in some foods but is more likely to be chemically produced and added as a preservative to foods. (in this case face paints that are approved by the FDA) The reason you will note sodium benzoate listed in the ingredients of so many foods is because it works very well at killing bacteria, yeast and fungi. You will most commonly see it used as a preservative in foods with a high acid content, since sodium benzoate will only work when the pH balance of foods is less than 3.6. It is therefore effective in most sodas, vinegar, fruit juice, and in mixed ingredients like salad dressing. It is additionally used to stop the fermentation process in wines.

If this applies to wolfe, does it also apply to DFX? I think that spritzing brushes with alcohol a couple of times a gig and wiping them w/ a wet wipe afterward would be just as effective as spraying directly on the paints, and this way you're not messing with the paints if you're worried about performance or warranty.

I have heard that the two are comparable, I however have not read the list of ingredients for DFX, I also have not seen the MSDS.

It may be listed on the website Very Happy
jnjkoz

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by catwhiskers on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 am

If your at a party with say 15 kids and a choice of 4-5 faces how can you use a different sponge for each one (if all full faces) to avoid passing on germs? Wouldnt your sponge bag be bigger than your kit? Wouldnt it get confusing? or do you replace your sponges after each face? and if thats the case some designs require blending so could mean at least 2-3 sponges per face....I know Im waffiling a bit but I want to do the best I can in all aspects of health and saftey and some of the comments above while really interesting and informative are confusing me a little. Since I started face painting and as a mother of two Im well aware of the germs kids carry and have always believed in good old soap and water. I clean my brushes after every party/gig and I rinse my sponges in hot water first then I put them in the washing machine and before they go bag in A NEW bag I make sure they are completely dry. I also carry hand sanitiser and baby wipes to all events. I avoid snotty noses and kids with sores or dry skin conditions but mostly thier parents wouldnt bring them anyway. Common sense really! As for cleaning paints is a simple rinse under the tap not enough?

Im new to this forum as I just recently turned my hobbie into a buisness Im very excited but I also have my concerns so love reading all your questions and answers really enjoying it Smile

Lori
From Scotland :-)

catwhiskers

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Alright, just found this thread...I'm from BC too. I'm not aware of 'strict' laws here in BC and I've never seen a health agent checking up on us at events. Have you Kristal? I don't think anyone in the world has so strict rules as Alberta. I just got back from a convention over there and let's just say I'm glad I'm in BC!

I follow 'common sense' and keep a clean kit. I use a new sponge for each client. I have two buckets. One with clean sponges and another to throw the used ones into. I have lots of sponges, but not every face needs a sponge so I rarely run out of sponges unless it goes overtime. You usually know how many faces you can do in an hour so bring enough for that.

Now about A Star...I know the event coordinator for the Cloverdale Rodeo and asked her about facepainting. She told me they had someone they always deal with. So I looked them up and can't say I'm impressed. It looks like they hire 'students' or anyone really that can hold a brush. Obviously someone good at marketing has established these corporate relationships. I'll be looking into it further. I'm thinking this is why there is such a low expectation on facepainting in the lower mainland if this is the work that's getting out there. Kristal and I are working hard to 'raise the bar' out West! Very Happy
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avasmummy10 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 am

Bringing up an old thread Smile

I am a bit perplexed at what I should do - yesterday I painted at my daughters playgroup (for free i might add) - I let the organiser know I dont paint sick kids for hygiene reasons and she was fine with that. I painted loads of kids - it was fun, and when it was over I was left in the room with a carer cleaning up. She mentioned to me that she was surprised I was even painting due to the hand foot and mouth doing the rounds at the moment!

This is the first I had heard of it, and during our chat she did mention the 4 kids were off sick with H F & M that day. Now I spoke to the organiser and she was surprised that I was concerned about contamination of my products...... um yeah of course I am, they have cost me a fortune!

I dont want to throw my precious paints - but I am not going to use them on anyone till I work out if any of those kids have had the virus or I can come up with a way of making sure the virus wont infect anyone from my paints. (brushes and sponges I can disinfect no problem but my paints?

help oh help me please!!!

Avasmummy10

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Avasmummy10 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:27 am

by the way brands are tag and snaz

Avasmummy10

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I am not sure about the H-F-M thing, that would make me angry too. Why are they at school if they have it? I think I would be thinking about taking my kid out. personally.

I just use common sense here. I clean my paints with baby wipes or wet ones. and I do this after every gig. I have ivory soap in my kit, and I swipe my brushes with it and have three rinse bins so the last one is clear, and I change them often. I have a lot of sponges, and I don't mind using a new one on each child, or a couple if I need to. I use three sponges on a tropical sunset face. They are really cheep if you buy tack sponges at the original horse shop, something like 4.95 for a dozen, so I have two dozen, and a car wash sponge that I have cut down to smaller pieces for little faces. I just toss them into my bucket that holds my dirty water. I clean them all with ivory soap and hot water, and sometimes I toss them in the washer. I clean every brush again with ivory soap after the gigl, and sanitize them with alcohol or mehron brush cleaner (essentially alcohol). I keep my fat max, brush and water containers clean and disinfected.

I start every face by handing the child a baby wipe and asking them or the parent to clean them off, even if I can't see anything, and at the same time, I wipe my hands, and use hand sanitizer so we both start out clean.

That is the best I can do, I think. I try not to put anything away wet too, it just seems to me that bactieria will thrive in wet conditions better than clean dry conditions.

When I worked as a MUA, we had to clean the brushes in between clients, and we had to scrape off lipstick onto a spatula, put the shadow or blush on a tissue and then pick it up with the brush, and use disposible mascara wands. I carry some of these things in my kit now too, and they come in handy.

You are probably going to find the worst germs on your hands, and kids hands, so if a kid touches my stuff, I clean it with a wet one, and I am super agressive with my own hands, so that I don't put the bad stuff on my paints myself.

I have not had to turn away a sick kid yet, but I am sure that I will cross that bridge.

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Fand Foot Mouth ---- YIKES!!! highly contagious.

I'm sure you did great with taking care of you supplies, but a heads up about it going around would have been nice
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avasmummy10 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks ladies - none of the kids there had H F & M at the time but many of the kids had been in contact with the ones there were away sick in the days prior.

What would you do? Would you spritz the paint with alcohol generously, I just dont know what to do - its going to cost me about $130 just to replace the cakes I used on the kids, so I can do the job I have booked tonight Sad I can replace the paints no problem but I want to still try and save the ones I have now - they are all still practically new.

Avasmummy10

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I would call a pediatrican and ask the nurse how HFM is transmitted. You could also do a web search, but I am not sure how much I would trust that. If it is like some viruses, it may take person to person contact, but some can live on surfaces, and it would probably be worth finding out. I think I would clean the top of the cake for each one you used, and clean your kit well, then depend on the experts as to how agressive you need to be with the paint that may be contaminated.
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top