Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Sanitized paints?!?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sanitized paints?!?

Post by HappyVickery on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:38 pm

I've never heard of Hand Foot Mouth, so went on google and saw some pictures I wish I hadn't found Sad

I did run across this from the Mayo clinic on HFM.

Oral ingestion is the main source of coxsackievirus infection and hand-foot-and-mouth disease. The illness spreads by person-to-person contact with an infected person's:

Nasal secretions or throat discharge
Saliva
Fluid from blisters
Stool
Respiratory droplets sprayed into the air after a cough or sneeze

I didn't see anything that said if it could live outside of a person or not.. .but this makes it sound like it couldn't.
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:29 pm

I found one where it said it could live up to 4 weeks on surfaces - but if you didn't have blisters, and don't go near mucus membranes, and didn't go near saliva, you might be ok (if no one sneezed or coughed on your kit). It says hand washing is the safest way to prevent....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Avasmummy10 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 am

Thank you so much ladies Smile

I spoke to the nurse who looked it up for me and there really isn't a whole lot I can do other than dry the paints out as much as i can and let them be for a few weeks. But I brought some isopropyl alcohol anyways and will use it every once and a while if I feel the need.

I have to say I almost wish I didn't know about the H F M - sometimes ignorance is bliss - but then its my business and its important to me I do the best I can for my customers.

Avasmummy10

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:45 pm

I would contact the paint companies and see what they suggest. I thought the paints have some antibacterial properties inside?!

I would be afraid of a chemical reaction with too much alcohol. It might break down the paints. scratch
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:39 pm

I have links to most MSDS on my resources pages (link in my signature)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Musick on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 am

a face painting mom wrote:I am not sure about the H-F-M thing, that would make me angry too. Why are they at school if they have it? I think I would be thinking about taking my kid out. personally.

I just use common sense here. I clean my paints with baby wipes or wet ones. and I do this after every gig. I have ivory soap in my kit, and I swipe my brushes with it and have three rinse bins so the last one is clear, and I change them often. I have a lot of sponges, and I don't mind using a new one on each child, or a couple if I need to. I use three sponges on a tropical sunset face. They are really cheep if you buy tack sponges at the original horse shop, something like 4.95 for a dozen, so I have two dozen, and a car wash sponge that I have cut down to smaller pieces for little faces. I just toss them into my bucket that holds my dirty water. I clean them all with ivory soap and hot water, and sometimes I toss them in the washer. I clean every brush again with ivory soap after the gigl, and sanitize them with alcohol or mehron brush cleaner (essentially alcohol). I keep my fat max, brush and water containers clean and disinfected.

I start every face by handing the child a baby wipe and asking them or the parent to clean them off, even if I can't see anything, and at the same time, I wipe my hands, and use hand sanitizer so we both start out clean.

That is the best I can do, I think. I try not to put anything away wet too, it just seems to me that bactieria will thrive in wet conditions better than clean dry conditions.

When I worked as a MUA, we had to clean the brushes in between clients, and we had to scrape off lipstick onto a spatula, put the shadow or blush on a tissue and then pick it up with the brush, and use disposible mascara wands. I carry some of these things in my kit now too, and they come in handy.

You are probably going to find the worst germs on your hands, and kids hands, so if a kid touches my stuff, I clean it with a wet one, and I am super agressive with my own hands, so that I don't put the bad stuff on my paints myself.

I have not had to turn away a sick kid yet, but I am sure that I will cross that bridge.

So, you wipe each of your paints with a wet wipe after you're done for the day or in between each face?

Also, you mentioned carrying ivory soap in your kit do you actually wash your brushes with the soap at your gigs? and if you do is it in between faces?
Jessica Musick

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Musick on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:55 am

Metina wrote:I am all about safety, but I just don't agree with spraying the paints with things like alcohol or vinegar. How do we "know" it all evaporates and doesn't change the paint.

Try not to be sucked into all of the marketing and scare tactics out there. Keep your kit clean, wash your brushes with soap and water and wash your sponges with hot and soapy water (I throw them in the washer in a lingerie bag) and don't paint on anyone that looks sick or has a cut or sore.

Beyond this, I think a lot of the marketing and scare tactics are to convince you to buy one paint over another or buy products you don't need.

The most cause of contagion is going to be from you. Don't freak out. I just mean all the things you touch coming and going to a gig. People out there are just nasty and rarely wash their hands. They touch it, and then you touch it. Keep your kit super clean, keep hand sanitizer and baby wipes at hand, and refuse to work when sick or paint others who are sick and you should do just fine.

PS These are all my personal opinion, not facts, marketing or tactics to get you to buy one paint over the other or buy other products. LOL

-Metina

Just curious from your personal experiences what do you normally tell parents or the kids when they are obviously sick? or have any cuts or sores on their faces??
Jessica Musick

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 pm

"I'm sorry, we seem to have a little something going on there that I can't paint--how about a flower/spider on their arm/hand?"
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top