Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

New Wolfe book - Extreme Face Painting

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Wolfe book - Extreme Face Painting

Post by Gamezgirl on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 am

I have ordered the book, waiting for it to arrive Wink I have also taken a couple of their classes, well worht the money, but not necessarilly for the same reasons others have stated. The BIGGEST a-ha moment for me was when I made a comment about how could they possibly know what EVERYTHING in the world looks like, I mean some one asked for a lobster and they painted the person to look like a lobster WTF??? One of them (I THINK it was Brian, but not sure) said something along the lines of 'do you really think i know what the inside of a lobster mouth looks like? Paint it like you mean it and people will beleive it' DING!!!

Here are my pics of the times I have been Wolfe'd

Bodyssey 2009

FABBULAS 2009

Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 am

LOL Shannon Smile
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:28 am

I was so lucky to get to do one day of there workshops in Perth, I had only got my kit in about a week before (had been using works kit) and was terrified of going. Within two minuets of them walking in the door, it was like we were all old friends, there so funny and the way they teach is amazing. You never feel like your being told what to do but gently guided along. I am so glad I spent the money, they fixed problems I was having before the became really bad habits.

Anyway, I also just received the book today and it's wonderful. Full of colour and wisdom. With Halloween just around the corner I'm going to be practising like mad.

One of the girls had a copy and asked why there were old faces in it and They said that the publishers had wanted them to do faces from there old books and as it was there first book with them, they did a few old faces but the next one will be all new stuff (see me all down with Nick and Brian, lol).
Sam I Am

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-10-02

http://www.butterflysanddragons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:44 am

I don't own any face painting books. This one looks wonderful!

I've never purchased from Amazon. Is there somewhere else that I can get it cheaper then retail?
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:58 am

Amazon is cheaper -

The list price is $24.99, they are selling it for $16.49 and most face paint shop are selling it for $20.

If you add something else that you need to your order (or find a friend who also needs something, even groceries or a small child's book) and get your order over $25 then you get free shipping and no sales tax in most places...

And if you were to get one book -- this is the one to get as it has blending and brush stroke techniques in the beginning of the book -- check it out: http://tinyurl.com/ExtremeFaces
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:00 pm

I just ordered it Smile Yay!

CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Shannon.......
a Wookie...really?
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:18 pm

woohoo got my book - now to find some time alone to watch the DVD....
and to talk my hubby into letting me go see Nick when he comes here in November.
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Linda Adams wrote:Shannon.......
a Wookie...really?
Rolling Eyes yeah... I didn't know what he was doing until it was finished... Said he was matching my hair as purple and green striped hair really needed to be incorporated...

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 pm

I finally had a chance to try the green skull on the demo CD... I still haven't quite got the hang of painting with the sponge like they do, but I have to come up with some scary designs for a Haunted Trail that I'm painting at the next 2 Fridays so I figured I'd better try it now. Still needs quite a bit of work but I think it'll do for this weekend. And the green paint glows in the dark... great for the guys who will be jumping out of the woods at people on the trail!
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:09 am

(don't throw anything at me!) ... I am not as happy with this book as I thought I would be! I don't know what I was looking for, because this is only my 2nd book purchased (first was the klutz book), but I did not think the first half of the book was all that great! There *are* some designs in the second half that are interesting, and challenging. But some of the designs in the first half just seem SO outdated, and almost as though they are not Wolfe Bros material. Does anyone know what I mean?

Also, it seems a bit rushed (again, especially the first half) - as though they only had only a day of studio time to whip out the designs and photos. If you read all the step by steps carefully, you will find spelling mistakes, and funny little omissions and mistakes.

Lastly I heard it mentioned that the beginning, where they show the "techniques", such as sponging, swirls, etc. is really good - the best they ever did. If that is correct, then I am not impressed. I found much more detailed information here at this forum. and again, this section seemed rushed and haphazardly put together. I would have liked this section REALLY beefed up!

I don't mean to be a sourpuss, but I really am dissapointed! I expected a LOT more... maybe my expectations were too high?

Now, to attend one of their workshops! That is my next goal Smile

Hugs, Barbie
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:29 pm

I like some of the newer designs, but I wish they hadn't re-used material from other books. It's good for the new to intermediate face painter. I love it for my daughter & love the dvd.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 pm

The book is a bit of a re-hash of their other books from what I have heard and seen

They've done three Wolfe Cheat Books and three or four Nick and Brian books, AND were featured artists in the Creative Faces book (and perhaps Funky Faces too?) ... and I've heard from some top artists on other forums that they were also disappointed in the book as it basically repeats things that we've seen before (if you have those books!)

I haven't seen it in person myself but did check out the various previews of it and it appears to me to be stuff I've seen before.

Now... I probably will buy it at my next conference/convention as I am a book junkie... but I won't order it without being able to flip through it first.

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:21 am

That makes sense... that must be why it seems so "rushed" and not well thought through. It seems to me like the Wolfies did the painting, but the editors (obviously NOT face painters) did a lot of the copy and probably also picked the designs and structure of the book.

Now, I bet that if Nick and Brian actually WROTE their own book, with their own vision, and their own LOVING labor, and spent some TIME on it, it would turn out to the be the BIBLE of face painting.

By the way, I don't know that what I said in paragraph one is true, it is just my impression that they had very little to do with the book other than the painting... Or if they DID have a lot to do with it, then they treated it as an afterthought...

Sorry I am such a downer about this. I feel a little gypped Sad
Barbie
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 am

Well I guess I won't be buying this book....at least not at full retail. Will wait for that bargain bin pricing for repeats of past offerings
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:47 am

Oh no, I didn't want to turn anybody off! It might still be a good fit for you. Though I am guessing since you are more advanced than I, that you will only find a few faces interesting/new. Definitely look at a copy!@
Barbie
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Just got mine today. This is my very first face painting book and my first impression is awesome! I love it!

There are some really amazing faces, way more detailed then I expected.

I do wish there were more pictures for some of the designs. Some designs have 4 pictures and some have 8.

Overall, I'm thrilled Smile
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:The book is a bit of a re-hash of their other books from what I have heard and seen...the book as it basically repeats things that we've seen before (if you have those books!)

I haven't seen it in person myself but did check out the various previews of it and it appears to me to be stuff I've seen before.

Unlike the faces that appear in previous books, this book has the written step-by-step instructions which are very helpful to the less experienced, newer painters. Obviously in you are a very experienced painter, or top artist, chances are you have seen most of the faces that are "simple enough" so that enough people can do them to make sense to include them in a book. Smile

Shannon Fennell wrote:Now... I probably will buy it at my next conference/convention as I am a book junkie... but I won't order it without being able to flip through it first.

This book was selling at Living Canvas for $20 and most FP retailers are selling it for that much or more, so after you check it out in person, Amazon ( http://tinyurl.com/ExtremeFaces ) for $16.49 is still good deal --especially if you add something else to your order and qualify for free supersaver shipping Smile
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:26 pm

CottonKandyClown wrote:Just got mine today. This is my very first face painting book and my first impression is awesome! I love it!

There are some really amazing faces, way more detailed then I expected.
I do wish there were more pictures for some of the designs. Some designs have 4 pictures and some have 8.

Overall, I'm thrilled Smile

I love it too!!! I have their older books but I like this much better and think it is a fantastic deal for the price!
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Definitely having written instuctions makes it a step up from the Cheat Books for almost everyone! And the price is very good for a book of 50 designs... just, for me already having all the other books, it probably isn't going to prove as, well, inspirational!

But probably, once I see it in person I may buy it... I don't buy anything over the internet.

I don't buy books sight unseen because I need to see what the content is first and the previews just are teasers. I need to flip through the whole book to see if there is enough "new" material to make it worthwhile for me.

For beginners this, I'm sure, is a great book to start with.

Just for those who already have the others, or are intermediate to advanced painters, it may disappoint if they aren't aware of the repetition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:33 pm

I just got my book and I love it. I have never purchased a book before and I am quite happy with this one. I would say I already understand the basics of face painting so just seeing the step by step images are really inspiring.
The first half I thought was pretty average, but then that was good because I wasn't so intimidated by them. It is always refreshing to see a few different designs.
I think even having images on paper rather than just internet makes a big difference.. I am looking forward any future books from them.
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:41 am

I agree, Daizy! It's so much better then looking at the design online. I don't paint by the computer so carrying a book to where I paint is nice Smile

I was disappointed that they showed several designs, but didn't show the steps. Like the awesome seahorse and the adult yeti. What's up with that? Inspiration maybe? I know I can figure it out fine, but it would have been nice if they put steps to those Wink
CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Mine is on its way. It has been in my Amazon shopping cart since this thread was started and I just kept it in there when I ordered some books for my daughter's birthday. I have two of the cheat books and have taken a class with them, I am very interested to see this book.

If it does nothing more than enlighten me on some of their mysterious techniques for shading, highlighting and texturizing, I will be thrilled!

Will post once I see it.

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 am

Just did the reptile twice yesterday. I thought it would be really hard, but it wasn't bad with the steps in front of me Smile

CottonKandyClown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:45 am

Nice job!
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down