Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

New Wolfe book - Extreme Face Painting

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Wolfe book - Extreme Face Painting

Post by Metina on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:15 pm

I haven't had a chance to paint anything, but I do like this book. While the cheat books were great, I hated that there were no instructions. There was no way I could paint most of those things.

There is a lot more meat to this book. Larger photos, more sponge technique and brush instruction and a a DVD(haven't viewed yet). Over all, I am glad to have it since these guys are two of the most talented and orginal out there. One more tool to figure out there awesome style. And it is quite large. About the size of a magazine, so a steal at just over $16 in my book!

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 am

I got to see a friends copy of this book, and I have to say for this to be or be touted to be the "ultimate" FP book it does kinda miss the mark. Now while I understand the theory or need to appeal to the masses in respect for trying to have something for everyone beginners to the more advanced, but I guess I was just expecting something other than what I saw.

I love all the color photos and how large they are so you can really see the details. I did think that some of the offerings moreso in the first portion of the book were (pardon the pun) a bit juvenile in as much as they were in fact done on juveniles. I felt like some of the designs were almost too simplistic to be in this book, especially when it's your 4th or 5th publishing.

For a beginner I can see the appeal as this is definitely a book to grow with as their skillset improves...sorta a 1 stop shopping cart

I forgot to add that I did like the 2nd half, some interesting offerings

Last edited by ChangingFaceDesigns on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, it's paid for itself with me. I got to reference a bunch of the safari designs(as seen in another post). I've also had fun with the zombie & other creepy designs.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Book Review I just received this book in the mail (a complete surprise!) and have reviewed it on my blog... so I can back up my previous statements with first hand experience now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawny on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the review on your blog Shannon ! your blog is lovely! i know right ... minus 32 yikes ! i was wondering about this book... i love to collect them ! hope all has been well with you -

Very Happy
Dawny

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Great review Shannon. And I scrolled down to your cookies & just wanted to say those are lovely jars in the background!
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:05 pm

You like my cannisters?! Wink

A local potter custom built them for us. We bought a giant teacup and saucer in that decoration from her at a craft fair (hold about a three quarts - I make my Christmas dessert in it), then we found the cookie jar (far right) at a local artistan store - then I called her and asked if she would make the four cannister set to match those pieces.

I can't throw a pot to save my life (and I've tried!) so I end up getting other people to do it for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I could tell they were custom made(I love stuff like that). Very well done. I can't throw a pot either. I tried once & it collapsed each time. I just keep my eyes open for stuff at yard sales.
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:08 am

I was luckly to get hold of a copy of the Extreme FP book when a colleague travel to US for work.

Here my take of green skull:

GG

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:18 am

Great job on the skull GG
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:31 am

I was excited to get my hands on this book. I have since looked over it a few times and now... I don't even know where it is... and I haven't seen the DVD yet... but I think it's main downfall and maybe what Changingfaces was trying to say is that it tries to be something for everyone.
Maybe they would have been better to do a book for beginners and a book for more advanced people.
Maybe it's just that I don't like copying straight out?
If I had got my hands on this a year ago I would of gone crazy painting everything out of it.. but now... well ... not so much.
I'm going to force myself to use it and see if it changes my opinion of it.
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:19 am

Great skull GG!
Tash, what I've done w/ the book is gone down to the base details & used those areas to improve on things I'm not happy with. An example is, I'm not crazy about my zombie/skull/monster mouths or eyes, so I'm going to focus on just those elements till I'm better. My hubby & I had mouths alll up our arms during the last football game Very Happy
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by GG on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 am

yeah Psalmbook, agree with you. I find the book pretty helpful to me with good instruction provided allowing me to learn new technique as I don't do facepainting as a profession. I treasure every single facepainting book I got as they are not easily available at where I live. Sample pictures in the book are great practise references for me to apply the techniques introduced in the book. As far as I'm concern... I still have a long way to go....

GG

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top