Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

arty cakes empty after 5-6 times used??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

arty cakes empty after 5-6 times used??

Post by schmalfisch on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:37 am

hi everybody!=)
i planed to buy my the Arty Cake Build Your Own Palette from SF with 15 smallarty cakes in it. now ive heard that thoses cakes will be empty after a couple of usage.....now im not shure if i should spend so much money of it, if it would be empty after a couple of kids....

really hope you can help me with your experience!=)

jen

schmalfisch

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: arty cakes empty after 5-6 times used??

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 am

I buy them separately, but not in the big case. They do wear out quicker than your regular paints. I often fill in the worn out areas w/ the same color from my face painting kit & just keep replenishing them as I go. I can use up the flame cake in one long gig. I don't think my rose cake has any of the original paints in it Very Happy
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by schmalfisch on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 am

oh ok, this are not good news....i dont have enough color to fill it up, because they are so many different colors!=(

schmalfisch

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:42 am

They are expensive! (but pretty!) I have a handful of them but I would NOT spend $145 on the palette. NO WAY! I contemplated it when I first saw it come out but quickly changed my mind. That is really just highway robbery for the amount of paint in it. You are better off just getting full size cakes and making your own IMHO. You could buy a lot of paint for $145 that will last you a really long time! Even if you start out with say 6 splits you will be getting way more paint for your money.

aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by schmalfisch on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:52 am

thats right....but they afre really sooo pretty!Wink
and if i buy all the paint in the colors for the splits.....ahhh =( but tags splits are much better. they are cheaper with price and what you get for it.....but the arty cakes are really soo nice. im totally in love..but you are right..they much too expensive!!!

thx!=)

schmalfisch

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 pm

I bought a small Wolfe palette the was cheap to turn into arty cakes because I didn't know if I would like them. The Wolfe palette gave me 12 art cakes that I love for a much cheaper price and it's all the same brand of paint so it wears evenly.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:44 pm

The arty brush cakes and small dfx cakes are wonderful for quick designs and pay for themselves many times over. The small cakes are about $8-10 and do lots of designs(I practice 10 or more designs when I get a new cake and barely use any of the paint), they also make the designs gorgeous and much faster so more money can be made PPF. I've got a few and I've never used a whole cake at one gig but if I did I would have made good return on the investment. In some regions they last even longer because people don't have to wash the brushes out between customers(I do so I know I'm wasting a lot of paint). People are so amazed at the magic of the split cakes. One of the keys is how wet the brush is.
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:00 pm

wmeventservices wrote:I bought a small Wolfe palette the was cheap to turn into arty cakes because I didn't know if I would like them. The Wolfe palette gave me 12 art cakes that I love for a much cheaper price and it's all the same brand of paint so it wears evenly.

I agree with you. I did the same thing with my Wolfe and Snazaroo small pallet. They are kept on their originall pallet.

Now I have a question...Can you call my split cakes , Arty Cakes ? Very Happy
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Two things in my kit I have in abundance........... split cakes and glitter. LOL I have O.D.'d on split/arty cakes 30 self made splits (using other partially used palettes)and another 24 arty cakes and 9 larger rainbow cakes. I'ts like I 've got split cake fever. I refuse to buy anymore...lolol we'll see how that goes, but making them...welllllll I will try an lay off that for a while too.

I do love having so many different color combinations to choose from. As far as the usage I can say my artycakes have lasted beyond 5-6 times usage.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:58 pm

I wouldn't go for the palette either. You will want to buy a few and find what you like and get down the technique. I find that some of the colors wear down quicker than others in the because they are mixed brands.(Arty Cakes) I have the bright leaf and the black and yellow are good but the green in the middle is almost gone.

You won't like all of them and this is why I caution you against buying so many(I got bright leaf in a trade)

Plus, most people with the best application technique that I have seen hold the cake while loading their brush, which makes the pallette pretty useless.

All MHO,
Metina

-Metina

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:10 pm

I just call my large splits, split cakes and my small ones Arty Cakes. I guess it is wrong in some way if she has a copy write on the name. I guess I just never thought about it before.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 am

There is no way i would buy an arty cake because it is so simple and fun to make your own. I buy 18ml snaz paints from allartsupplies.com (they sell the regular 18ml for only $5 each, and they have fast shipping!) and cut them up with a razor blade and line them up. I just finished remaking all of mine because i found a fantastic container on clearance at wal mart. I really like it! The last containters hold my gems and wigglely eyes.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Keesha

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Heffner on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I keep 3 Arty Cakes in my kit as emergency use only. I don't have photos using them on my board b/c I would run out very quickly that way.

They are for when I have the birthday mom or a larger group of adults surrounding me and I want to really impress all of them. Otherwise they aren't worth the $$$ and time they take.

I use split cakes (half and half) for "one stroke" designs. They are a lot easier to replenish.

I have noticed a lot of newer face painters go "whole hog" with Arty Cakes but seasoned painters tend to avoid them.

For me it is a kit maintenance issue. I do NOT have time to slice and dice 30 color slivers along with all the other cleaning and tidying up I have to do. And there is no way I would pay $8, $9, or $10 for each replacement I needed.

So yes, they are pretty and a cool concept and I love what people are doing with them, but they are too shallow to be worth my hard earned $$$.

~Heff
Michelle Heffner

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-09-05

http://brightandshining.com/face_painting_blog

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 pm

BTW, they last a lot longer than 5-6 uses. But yes, you do get little, for more $$$ than if you made your own. Still worth getting one or two to play around with, if you haven't yet, IMO. But really, they are SO much to make!
Barbie
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I would be looking at Tag one stroke cakes or even a paradise prisma cake pallet..... you get a LOT more paint in the containers and the combination's are awesome. I think the paradise prisma cake pallet is $130 from the mehron website..... I think it's worth it, it will be my next purchase, hopefully.
....Just a thought
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:46 am

Making the rainbow cakes is no problem for me. I think its a lot of fun! For me it is worth the time and effort. When I'm having a slow day i do a few quick rainbow eye designs for free and then the little girls come running because they just love how pretty they turn out. The adults love them too because it takes less time and i charge less for the quick eye designs.
Keesha

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:42 pm

ChangingFaceDesigns wrote:Two things in my kit I have in abundance........... split cakes and glitter. LOL I have O.D.'d on split/arty cakes 30 self made splits (using other partially used palettes)and another 24 arty cakes and 9 larger rainbow cakes. I'ts like I 've got split cake fever. I refuse to buy anymore...lolol we'll see how that goes, but making them...welllllll I will try an lay off that for a while too.

I do love having so many different color combinations to choose from. As far as the usage I can say my artycakes have lasted beyond 5-6 times usage.

Just wondering where you got your empty cases for your DIY split cakes? I'm looking for empty cases like TAG one-stroke uses. Smile Anyone know where to buy those empty?
Manja

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2011-06-25

http://www.shiningfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top