Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

50,000 people festival - would you let other painters in?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

50,000 people festival - would you let other painters in?

Post by Tash on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:42 pm

So I have just organised to do my local council festival. Originally they wanted $365 booth fee plus $90 for power ( for airbrushing ) , I managed to get in for $180 + $80 for power after speaking to the events manager personally. Although still steap it's worth it to me for all the local advertising I can do.
He told me he had another face painter and another airbrush artist - from out of area - that had requested booths at the full fee, but he would give me preference if I liked and not let them in.
I had to make a decision on the spot and knowing there was 50,000 expected I told him it was ok to let the other artists in as long as they were positioned at the opposite end of the festival to me.

I'm now regretting ( or at least stressing) about that decision.
My only thought was I wouldn't be able to handle crowds of that size and it would benefit the festival to have more then just me there. I have now had the after thoughts that
1. the other painter could show up with multiple painters and steal all my business.....and/or
2. Other booths may offer free face painting to get the crowds in.
3. He mentioned the face painter was a 'He' and the only male face painter I know in Sydney I have had a major problems with.... and I'm pretty sure it's him.
Not Good.
My space is confirmed but I have yet to make payment for it - is it too late to hit them with a contract?
I would have to draw one up specific.
Should I be looking for other painters to get in with me?
I know there are risks involved with other painters - like if we are very quite I will lose money having them there - and I really ( desperately) wanted to get into this festival as it is my local suburb one , to advertise my business to everyone - I will lose opportunity to pass out cards if I have another painter there.

I have already said they can have the other painters there - and my man is sharing my booth to airbrush tats so there really isn't room for another painter......... what to do, what to do.
I'm worried through inexperience with really large events I may have shot myself in the foot!
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 50,000 people festival - would you let other painters in?

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 am

Personally, I wouldn't stress out about this too much, I mean, anyway you slice it, 50,000 people is a LOT of people. But since you already said it'd by okay if this other guy is there, it's most likely way to late to go back on that. Besides, you may not even notice that he is there since you will be placed so far apart. You can always hand out lots of business cards no matter where you go, give one to every client that sits in your chair and give them to passersby as well. I have no doubt you will be as busy as you ever are and will do fine because you are such a talented painter and people pay attention to that. I hope everything works out well for you! Just remember these words (borrowed from one of my favorite songs!) as they seem fitting:

"...Donít worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday..."
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by facefantasy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:30 am

Hoping everything goes well for you........I am sure you will do just fine.
facefantasy

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-06-28

http://facefantasyfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 am

lol Punky - Thankyou.
It's so funny you chose those lyrics - they have stayed with me since I first heard them as I'm a worrier..... it's good to hear them when you need them.

No wonder I got a stomach ulcer!
Tash

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 am

Haha, yes, I listen to that song every morning, it's daily inspiration to have a great day and not let things get to me and to look forward to what the future may bring. It's definately one of my favorites!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:48 am

I agree with Punky in that regardless of second guessing yourself - it's likely too late to change things anyway. He did say face painter (not painterS) and an airbrush artist (not artistS), so that's promising, yeah?

The other booths promising free fp - that's almost a non-issue for us, lol. Ok, not really, but we all know that the work isn't going to be close to the quality of yours, and the materials might be sketchy, so I wouldn't worry about that. (Easier said than done, I know.)

Learning experience? Funny how many of those we have, eh? Razz
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 am

Kristal wrote:Learning experience? Funny how many of those we have, eh? Razz

lol! HAHA!! It sucks, but it's so true too... Razz
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:02 am

Totally. I don't know how many times ALREADY I've said to myself, "Okay Self, this sucks, but you are going to figure it out, and the good thing is that if/when this happens next time, you'll know what to do!"

Then, lo and behold - it doesn't happen again. But! Something else does that is so off base that you end up thinking the same thing all over again. Then you think, "SERIOUSLY?!" And the answer from the back of your mind is a little nod, and, "Seriously."
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:44 am

Tash, you might think about having a stamp made up with something like 'Face art by Tash" and then stamp the kids' hands with it. That way when people ask where they got their face painted they can just show them the stamp and direct them to YOUR booth. I've read that some FP get stickers with the same thing on it to stick on the kids shirt. If time is tight, you could probably make the stickers on address labels and computer.

Hope it works out for you.
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:30 am

Krystal - you are so right, every job seems to have so many different factors that applying the same rules never seems to work.
I'm hoping it does go well as I have been in contact with this guy over a couple of events that the council wouldn't pay my hourly rate for so he knows who I am - if it goes well they may change their mind about that and it will be an easy in to all the other festivals and events that council does.
Thanx for the reassurance.

Judy - That's a Great idea! Thank-you so much! I'll definatly be putting that on my to do list. And thanks for the well wishes!
Tash

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 am

and if he's paying full price, he won't be doing it for free unless he's really stupid.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 am

For big festivals, I have stickers that read "I was painted by Create-A-Face" that I put on each kid telling them "Everyone is going to ask you where you got your face painted, this way, they'll know!"

I printed them on sheets of mailing labels from the office supply store.

It's effective too! sometimes the kids mention they saw the stickers and came looking for our booth.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:34 am

Punky wrote:Haha, yes, I listen to that song every morning, it's daily inspiration to have a great day and not let things get to me and to look forward to what the future may bring. It's definately one of my favorites!
''

Is this the song: http://vodpod.com/watch/528817-baz-luhrmann-everybodys-free-to-wear-sunscreen

or is there another version?
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:41 am

So I did the Taste of Arlington Festival, paid my booth fee (blah) and was told I would be the only painter there. Well 3 days before the event I was told they let another painter in b/c their ticket sales doubled from last year. I was already bringing Jenny along to help as well as Glitter Tattoos, so I was kinda ticked off. Sunday arrives all sunny and warm and guess what? Im kinda glad she got that other painter b/c OUR LINE NEVER STOPPED!!! our pictures were more advanced then hers (she did mostly cheek art).

I just got asked to face paint at a booth. They are hiring/ paying me so that they can provide it for free to attract people to their booth. So watch out for that! Some big companies may do that.

I did another festival where the non profits and churches did have FREE FACE PAINTING and the work was blah but still....funny thing though, a few kids (or parents) came to our tent and asked for us to wipe it off and redo it (paid of course). Like I said before (Jenny's quote) you should have a sign that says "we fix free face painting" just in case Razz
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:49 am

I'm sure w/ that many people you'll be fine. You are such an awesome painter & people will gravitate towards that. I like the sticker/stamp idea.
Post about unsafe paints in your booth also.
I can't wait to hear how it went.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:20 pm

HAHA! BlueAngel that is too funny! "We fix free face painting" ... LOL!

And that is a FANTASTIC idea with the stickers or stamps! I'm definately puuting that on my list as well! Thanks!

And yes Kittee, that is the song, isn't is a great one? It always makes me feel better if the day isn't going too well or I just need a little extra motivation to get up in the morning.
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm sure you'll do great...that's a big crowd! Yeah, I agree it's probably too late now to change your mind. Better to keep a good relationship with your client by sticking with what you verbally agreed, then maybe next year put it in the contract that they can't have other artists there. Even more so than the competition, I hate it when there is another BAD artist at an event, because I don't want people to see their work on a kid, then walk by my booth, and think that I did it! ;-) Love the sticker/stamp idea though. Oh, and have you thought about paying other painters a percentage of what they do? I worked for years at an amusement park, technically as an independent contractor for the lady who owned the booths, where I only got a percentage of what I did. So, if the booth didn't make money, I didn't make money. That way you don't have to worry about paying for people to sit there and do nothing.
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 am

Tash you are such an AWESOME ARTIST, the crowds will gravitate to you. Love the idea about the sticker stating who you get painted by & I laughed so much about the we fix free face painting love it..
That's a huge crowd too so honestly I wouldn't worry about another painter there. Be confident, know how great you are & go forth & conquer. Hand out your business card to EVERYONE..

Do you use rescue remedy? It could help calm your nerves.

Let us know how you go.
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by twobluestripes on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:47 am

With such a big festival, I'm sure you will be just as busy as if there were no other painter... Think of it this way; how many people will you be able to paint for the time limit?
Certainly not even 1/10 of the people expected to be there!

Have a beautiful festival board, and your line will be out the door I'm sure.
It is smart of you to have a second person doing the airbrush!!

twobluestripes

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 am

I'd have to avoid the whole "we fix face painting" advert, even though I laugh everytime I consider doing it. Reason being, I don't want to spend time to clean off somebody else's hot mess. There's also the danger of triggering an allergic reaction. I'd rather the parents go and wash the kid off his/herself and bring me a clean face. Though I really want to use a sign that says that...maybe I can have a disclaimer that says that the parent have to COMPLETELY remove the previous product with soap and water first?
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm

If you don't have time to order a stamp, you can make one yourself by carving an eraser. I used to do this when my girls and I were in to letterboxing. You can make some beautiful and unique stamps with this method if you have enough patience.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I have never heard that song before! Super cute. Yes, there will be a spring in my sterp today because of it.
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm

I have stickers made that match my business cards saying 'I was painted by' on them, always goes down well. When I 1st started I used to print off my own, big bold letters so it shows up on the chests of kids wearing them, just on sheets of address labels.

Re 50,000 people; there is still no guarantee you will be busy. For 8 years I was the only painter at a National Airshow (billed as a huge family attraction) in the Uk, average daily footfall 80,000 people and some days I was twiddling my thumbs. There are just so many factors...

I have now led the Hong Kong Rugby 7s painting team (sort of like the Superbowl but everyone watches in fancy dress and there are 24 nations competing) for 6 yrs, and that's 40,000/ day and again sometimes we are dead slow. Of course others the queue never ends and we have 10+ painters.

TBH I wouldn't be stressed too much as long as you aren't paying through the nose for exclusivity. Just make sure your painted people are marked as yours - cards, stickers, whatever. And if you aren't set up beside each other he hopefully won't impact your business much!

I generally don't 'fix' other painters work - I used to get a lot of kids with horrific acrylic or even felt pen 'art' on them. I worry a bit that if they take it off and then I paint them (or paint over it), any reaction caused by the previous work could be blamed on me. I did it once and was later sent photos of raised welts but it turned out to be where the kid had to scratch off the acrylics!!!
Cat x
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by imelda99 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm

can you let us know how you did or do on this event? I myself am doing a Garage sale for my church but i am barely training with a company that i got hired with, but since i havent practiced face painting with my boss i will only be doing balloon twisting as practice for my events i will be doing through them. But again good luck (i guess i am just a little nervous as well) Question
imelda99

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-01-18

http://www.wix.com/imelda99/smiling-faces-by-imelda

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 pm

yes I can......
this event was last year.
Firstly it poured with rain.... shockingly bad... we had no choice but to close the tent and sit with our feet up as the rising water and wind threatened to take our tent.
When it finally settled down I found out they had allowed a church to do free face painting even though they had given me their word they wouldn't.
I had a whole confrontation, and they said if I didn't like it I could leave.
The other face painter and balloon twister was at the other end of the event and he said he did well....
we ended up making about $400 if i remember correctly.. I was amazed how many people wanted face painting in the rain.
We dropped all our pricing to $5 for everything, just so we could make some business and I saw some shocking face painting.... but what can you do.
I have since done a few others with this council and have just told them I'm not doing their latest one happening next week.
In my experience there could be 5000 0r 50,000 it makes no difference - you can only paint so many people,you can only make so much money.
Tash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top