Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What uncomfortable situations have you run into Painting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What uncomfortable situations have you run into Painting

Post by shandi on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:53 am

We have the what wierd request topic and this follows it. Have you ever had a situation that made you uncomfortable? call for help?

Many years ago I was face painting at "eeyore's birthday" in Austin Texas, I was in a Medieval recreation group at the time (they dress in armour and hit each other with big sticks) I was set up very near them as they are my friends and I'm also in the group. Austin Texas is known for the colorful people and Eeyores B-day is a very relaxed hippy dippy kinda party, lots of drumming and dancing and drinking.
I had been painting for hours and this very cute little girl all dressed up in a party dress and flowers came over with her very drunk staggering father, she wanted flowers and a unicorn, HE wanted a skull and cross bones painted on her. The little girl started crying and he roughly grabbed her arm and threw her in my chair and was screaming you'll damn well get what the ^$#^$% I want you to get. He was really loud. The little girl was sobbing, I pulled her into my lap and Thank GOD for my big burly men that where in armour and where all around me as soon as they heard the man yelling. Two men in armour took one arm each and led him away to the security booth, I dried her tears and painted her face the way she wanted. The Cops came and told me the man was being arrested and that he had given them the little girls mother's number. They wanted her to wait at the Police tent , till her mommy came. That sweet little thing did not want to leave me and started crying again, I told her not to cry that she'd mess up her face paint. The police officer picked her up and I followed them over just to make sure she stopped crying. I turned to go back and there behind me where a dozen men all in armor and helms wanting to make sure that she and I where safe. I was so touched and so honored. It could have been a really bad situation, and the father really hurt her arm. It broke my heart as I was a abused child.
That's the only time I was afraid.

Last week I had three skin heads all white supremist come to get painted, can you break a hundred I said NO! and praise God they all left! (we have problems with counterfit money in our county) not to mention they made me nervous!
shandi

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://facepaintingbyshandi.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What uncomfortable situations have you run into Painting

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 am

The creepiest one was a birthday party I when I still worked for another company. I got horribly lost in "The Hood" (this is before I had GPS). I was in a clown costume by the railroad tracks. All I could think was I was going to be found, dead on those tracks in my clown costume, with X's over my eyes, my legs up in the air & my bloomers flapping in the breeze Very Happy
I did finally find the home & while there was a bounce house, there were no kids & just a drunk uncle. I waited in the van & the party started trickling in around 20 minutes before I had to leave. Mom & birthday child got there 10 minutes before the parties end. I ended up staying an extra hour & then when it was time to go, she had to go get the money. So I had to wait longer. I was at this party for 3 1/2 hours & it was supposed to be 1 1/2. This was my 1st year & I was clueless.

The 2nd weirdest one was a party last year with an exceptionally large drunk grandma dancing very provocatively to the music & pushing her chest into all the little boys faces. I wanted to call the cops.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by colormehappy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:36 am

i was painting at a birthday party for a friend's son. i painted the daughter of another couple there, and they were insistent i paint their toddler. but he was upset bc he was hungry, and his mother insisted i paint on him while she breast fed him! but he was squirmy bc my brush was tickling his cheek...so milk was going everywhere. i know it's supposed to be one of those natural things & all...but it was very uncomfortable.

i'm a very shy person and i felt so weird i wanted to cry. i wouldn't even have painted like that had it been at a bday party for some kid i did not know. Embarassed
colormehappy

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-06-06

http://www.colormehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:05 am

Yikes, poor kids at the mercy of adults who don't know how to control themselves. This is not as bad as either of those, but it did make me uncomfortable...
I once painted for an apartment complex pool party, and there was a woman there who just would NOT leave me alone and let me paint the kids. Even after asking her not to, she was touching EVERYTHING in my kit (now my Fat Max makes this much harder for people to do, love it!) Then she began asking the next child in line what they wanted to be and picking colors and glitter to use! She stood over my shoulder and commented on every stroke I painted and how she would have done it differently. Ugh. I finally gave up on strongly worded hints and had to say point blank (politely) that she was in the way and being a distraction. (Not to mention in my personal space and making me nervous) She went away in a huff, but she left me alone after that. Afterwards, I told the apartment's event planner about the woman and what I had done, in case she complained about it. The planner laughed and told me not to worry, she knew exactly who I was talking about, and that she did things like that all the time.
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaJoyYoung on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:59 am

These stories are crazy! I can't believe some of the things we encounter as face painters Razz

The most uncomfortable thing that has happened to me occurred about four years ago. At that time I was working for an entertainment agency as a princess who did both face painting and magic. This particular party happened to be the type where all the adults get completely hammered and forget that the kids are even there (I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about).

Right when I walked into the party (dressed as Cinderella) one of the drunk dads said, "What the f*!# are you supposed to be?!" His wife said, "You idiot, she's Cinderella!" To which he replied, "Yeah right! The only princess she looks like is Princess Fiona when she was an ogre!" Shocked The whole room erupted into laughter and I was called Princess Ogre by the children AND the adults the entire time I was there. It was AWFUL and I couldn't wait to get out!
LisaJoyYoung

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-04-06

http://www.illusionfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Oh wow! We're supposed to be face painters not manners coaches Very Happy
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Caswell Designs FP on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:52 pm

I might have to scroll through my email account and see if I have anything written down!
A lot of times I email my family and friends to tell them about the trials and tribulations of being a face painter.

The one thing I can think of right now, was a birthday party not long after I started my business. I had traded gift certificates for radio commercial time...so not worth it. Live and learn.

Anyways I was out in the boonies for this party, it was at a small fast food place. A combo KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, or something odd like that.
There were kids all over the place and they were quite unruly and rude.
One kid started making jokes about "O-Bamma and his mamma" (Obama when he was running for president). Before I knew it Obama jokes were flying left and right, and they were not nice at all.
I was so happy to be done and out of there.

On my way home, I took a wrong turn. When I realized it, I pulled into a dirt road to turn around and before I could back up a man came riding over the hill in front of me, on a kids dirtbike wearing a dress shirt with the sleeves torn off, holding a shotgun over the handlebars.
Perfect way to end the day.

I always tell my family/friends, you can't make this $%@# up!
Caswell Designs FP

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://www.caswellfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:12 am

I was at a party in a bad area... It was in a park with MANY families and I was getting ready to paint this kid... as he was deciding what he wanted... the adult men were all surrounding me and blowing weed smoke in my face... I ignored that as these ppl were kind of scary!! Then as I started painting the kid in my chair one of the guys was trying to lift him out of my chair and saying it was HIS turn..... I grabbed this boys feet and we were in the middle of a tug o war with this poor kid... Finally I yelled at him that I wasn't even going to paint his face and to let the kid go or I was leaving.. He started swearing like f this mutha fukka and then they all left... I just wanted to leave so badly but I had 3 trips worth of stuff with me and I had to walk across the whole park with each trip so I decided not to leave my stuff while I was throwing a fit cuz who knows what would have happened to it... just finished up and left...
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:54 am

Oh my gosh! These stories are so terrible! Makes me thankful that for the most part my mom and I paint in teams, we don't venture out alone much (though I will this weekend - so nervous!). I don't know what I would do if I were caught in a situation like that alone!

Anyway, my two uncomfortable experiences are these:
About 4-5 years ago mom and I were hired to paint at a family reunion for the kids. The only problem was, they hired us for two hours and only had 6 lousy kids there... and 2 of them were teens, so didn't want to get painted because they were "too cool." So we had all that extra time left and nothing to fill it with. We were just about to tell the lady we could leave early and re-negotiate the prices because we weren't of any use any more when the rather smashed adults started coming over to get painted. Now, mind you, we were in clown for this event, and I was like 14 years old. The first request was for a man's "Whoohoo" on this lady's face, and her husband wanted a female's "Hmmhmm" if you get what I mean. I just had a dumbfounded look on my face and I was blushing furiously out of embarrassment under my clown makeup Embarassed confused . I told them, "Umm... I'm only 14.... I don't really know what those .... you know... really look like..." It was really awkward. And then the lady shoots back with "What?! That's no excuse! I haven't been a virgin since I was 13 years old! What's your problem??" At that point my mom told them to get lost and stop harrassing her daughter or we were leaving. (THANK YOU MOM!!!)

The second instance happened earlier this summer at the county fair. An older man stopped by our booth and was very interested in what we were doing, Okay, no problem. But then he started doing stuff like the lady in Sam's story. He was asking all kinds of questions, touching my paints, and making coments on my work. He didn't really ahve anything bad to say, he was just creepy. Then he grabs my butterfly brushes and says "what the hell kind of brushes are these?!" Shocked with a small child in my chair... Mad I then said "Sir, I have to ask you to leave, you are in the way and creating a serious distraction, and profanity will NOT be tollerated in my booth." and he fired back with "What?? How old are you, you little tramp? Didn't your parents ever tell you to respect your elders?" Evil or Very Mad and I said, "I only respect elders who deserve my respect, which you do not. Now please leave or else I will call security." Well he left, and I called up a very good friend of mine who was there that day to come and sit with me for a while because that guy made me really nervous. It made me feel MUCH better to have a big burly country boy there who loves me like a little sister than to sit there alone with that creepy guy around. Very Happy
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:07 am

I was booked for a party about a year ago..I talked to the birthday girl mom about 2 or 3 times on the phone, I was giving her instructions on how to do the pay pal thing..She gave up and she decided to tell her husband to do it for her...A couple of days after, I received a called from her husband..For my surprise he was an ex boyfriend of mine..5 years ago..He said that it was going to be unconfortable for him to have me around his family..He offered me to keep the deposit and to refer him another F painter.. I was like "Ok, no problem" hahaha What are the odds...
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:13 am

Wow... that would be really awkward! So weird how stuff like that happens!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:08 am

wow...what stories...i hope such things will never happen when i paint....
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by chucklor2 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 am

Last year I was doing a charity church carnival in the middle of a city. It was an outreach to the low income families in the area. My tent was stationed right near the road. The line was huge, filled with people talking about beating other people up, etc. One girl was talking to her boyfriend about just seeing her ex's car drive slowly by, and they started talking about a possible shoot out and gang stuff maybe happening in a minute. Totally freaked me out.
chucklor2

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.relyeafamilyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Jesus!!!! I had a party at bad area last weekend...I got there and all of them were "Cholos" (Hispanics gangsters ) lol..Anyways...When I got there an adult offered me a beer...I said no thanks..I'll take some water...all their conversations were about gangs, then one little kid asked me to draw a name of a popular gang in L.A ...I was like okkk.. then adults kept on drinking and kids wanting me to draw gangs signs..I had to do it..I just tried to please them and get out there safe..
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 pm

"The artist reserves the right to not draw anything profane or offensive(no guns or gang related please). The artist will only paint what is legal to be viewed in public." This has saved me from any, "paint my butt" or paint a "Woohoo" on my face... Very Happy
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top