Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

what would you do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what would you do?

Post by colormehappy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 am

i haven't been on this forum very much lately...festival time Very Happy

sorry this is long...

but my mother (my FP partner) and i are having to make some decisions about an upcoming event. this even is huge....HUGE. problem is, they have never allowed face painters to be vendor. they say the lines are too long & the parents get mad, blah blah. it's a food only (non-craft) festival, but they do have a kids section. we've always found a business or an empty building located in the festival area that allows us to use their patio and/or doorway. the money is very good, the best we've ever made at a festival. there's usually always one group of painters there doing exactly what we are doing, but it's such a big event, it's never really mattered.

this year we have a few options. one location is a great spot, and one we've always wanted. another we've used before, and it's ok, but it's not as visible, even though it's just across the street from the first. the 3rd is a good spot as well, but we're not sure about lighting. this event goes all day until around 10 p.m.

we really did want the first location. it's always been a retro/hippie kinda store & we've seen other painters there every year. this year the shop is vacant, and we've been in contact with the lady that owns the building. she has agreed to let us use the shop, and said she would have a banner made and put it up a couple of weeks before the festival to help draw a crowd. but she wants 30% of what we make Shocked

no one has EVER asked us to give them a % of what we make at this festival. we have offered in the past to pay an upfront fee or something, but they always say it's not necessary, and just ask us to sign a contract saying they are not responsible for anything that happens. the only time we've ever given a % is when we FP at schools or fund raisers, but it's usually between 15-20%. i'm sure the lady is trying to make up for the fact that she is not getting any rent $$ because the building is vacant, but we are the ones that are going to be there all day. the event runs fri. evening, sat all day til 10 & sun all day til around 8 or 9. we've had lines that literally stretched over a block & a 1/2 (most parents say they waited nearly 2 hours)...no pee breaks, no food breaks...this lady isn't even going to be there, and she wants 30%.

i don't know what is the best thing to do. take the spot we've used before? get over and give the lady 30%? look more into the 3rd location? any input would be greatly appreciated!!
colormehappy

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-06-06

http://www.colormehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what would you do?

Post by CreateFaces on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 am

30% seems very steep if you can find another spot less that is.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:24 am

I would tell her you don't need the banner (you probably have your own signs anyway) and offer her 10% and negotiate your way to 15%.

The worst that can happen is she says no and you go to the spot you had last year.

But I think Cheryl is right 30% just sounds to steep to me. 15% seems reasonable. You may find out that you did about the same $ as last year though with the 15% taken out.

Good Luck!!
Ginacentral

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 am

Hmmmm, if there were FPs in that spot before and you still had folks waiting in line for over an hour, I think I would just stick with the free spot. I guess I think of it this way: If I painted 100 faces in that looooong day, the first 30 I'm painting for her. Unless there is some reason that makes this spot really, really primo, I think I'd pass. Just my opinion!
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:34 am

I'd say 10-15% max... otherwise just use a different spot. I give 50% to fundraisers, but that's NOT what this is.... at an event that busy, 30% could darn well be a month's rent on the space and that's totally out of whack.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by colormehappy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 am

Perry Noia wrote:I'd say 10-15% max... otherwise just use a different spot. I give 50% to fundraisers, but that's NOT what this is.... at an event that busy, 30% could darn well be a month's rent on the space and that's totally out of whack.

that is exactly what we are thinking. she is trying to get a month's rent to make up for the lack of a tenant. she has seen the lines before, and know's how busy it is & there's lots of $$ to be made.

the spot we wanted was used several years ago by 2 painters from the wolfe fx. i guess they were traveling around. it was our first year at this event, and only our second painting, so upon seeing those 2 there, i was ready to go home & call it a day, lol! the spot we were in last year (location choice #2) was ok. not great, but not bad. we didn't make quite as much as we did the year before in a different location (not currently available to us), but it was still a larger amount than we usually make at festivals.

my only concern with not taking the spot she is offering at 30% is that she will find other painters to use it, while other painters are not normally a problem bc of the size of this event, they are definately more visible than we would be, and it's right across the street from us. since they don't allow FP in this fest...we paint a couple of kids...they go enjoy the event, and parents ask, where did you get the face painting? so i am a little worried about parents getting confused if they head up the street towards us, but see the others first & go there thinking that is where the other parents meant.

i did find out there was some miscommunication about her hanging a banner for us. we have to provide a banner, she's just going to hang it a couple of weeks before.

i really appreciate all the input you guys have! i think we are going to go with the free spot. i may dress in a costume or something to help draw attention...gotta figure that part out.
colormehappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:00 pm

30% is way to steep. You might want to explain the logistics of how you are providing a service & not a product. Therefore it's based on how many faces you can paint. 30% will leave you enough to cover expenses... See if she'll drop to 10% or just move the location.
As far as attracting attention, I've heard bubble machines work great. After dark have Christmas Lights(I've heard there are solar ones if you don't have electrical hookup).
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 pm

Linda you're right about the bubble machine, I went to the Lowell Folk Festival this summer (as a patron, not painter) and one performer had a bubble machine going to attract attention.

Man did it work! The bubbles were floating around making their way around the corner and my daughter insisted on figuring out where they were coming from. We followed them right to the guy's show where of course I threw a dollar in the hat.

Very clever.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by colormehappy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:18 pm

a bubble machine is a really great idea! i will have to remember that for future events! thanks so much for the tip!

i would love to be able to use one at this event, but we will not have electricity & this is a food vendor event, so there will be booths preparing/cooking food literally right in front of us (the width of the sidewalk away). i'd hate for some of the bubbles to end up getting on the food Sad

i am now on a mission to find some battery or solar powered christmas lights
colormehappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:19 pm

You can get one by meher i think it is that is battery operated its not like a super fancy machine but it does pretty well its what I have.
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Ooh... I like the idea of the bubble machine.... I think I may look into that as well!

And yeah, 30% is way too much! After her cut, you'd probably find you did worse than at your other spot. Definately go with the free spot!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:47 pm

This one is similar to mine. It works pretty good not nearly as cool as the really professional ones but it does get you attention But its not super expensive and you can try it out and if you like it then you can invest in a nicer one which is what i plan on doing when this one hits the skids. I put it just under the corner of my table.

(I hope its okay to put this link on here).
http://www.amazon.com/Ablenet-18-003-Black-Bubble-Machine/dp/B0019PU8XE/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

One hint get the good bubble stuff the higher quality that does make a difference i found and don't even think about making your own bubble liquid trust me i have done it ...save your self some time and effort by just buying the professional bubble stuff (they even make black like reactive ones)
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:26 pm

I have a bubble machine I use at events - but it makes really big single bubbles instead of millions - if millions of bubble are going everywhere they burst on your kit and you get bubble stuff in everything. It doesn't matter where you put it - the wind sends them everywhere! So the big bubbles still do the same thing - attract people but are less of a pain.
It is battery operated and will last all day on the batteries - but I go through like over a litre of bubble stuff in one day.
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:21 pm

I haven't had much problem with blow back. But I think it's cause I always aim it in the direction the wind is blowing and I make sure it's under my table.
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by twobluestripes on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:00 am

I would not take this spot. I would take the spot you've used before... a 2 hr wait or longer isn't going to make you more money at the festival; all you need is a short line and for people to keep stopping by. As long as the customers keep up with your painting speed, you're going to make the same amount of money, but with a different spot, you won't lose nearly 1/3 of it.

twobluestripes

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by colormehappy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:58 am

just wanted to give an update on this....

we are still trying to negotiate with her. we have her down to 20%, but we won't agree to it for more than 15%. it is a great spot, and it would mean that we have a building to leave our stuff in at night vs. having to carry everything home every night (and we have to park many blocks down the road in a parking garage), and we can put our signs, etc. in the windows letting ppl know we will be there weeks ahead of time.

but if she won't go for 15%, we're taking the free one. Very Happy
colormehappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginacentral on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:01 pm

I don't blame you and someone else made a good point earlier about if you had people waiting in line at the free spot almost the entire time then you can't your not going to be doing better than that unless you have another face painter there.

Good luck ...you should post pics of your event and area Im curious to see it now LOL.
Ginacentral

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:23 am

I'd pass on the 30% spot. If you have an hour-long line at your previous spot, then you can't make any more money at a better spot anyway. Your money is dependent only on how fast you can paint. 30% is a very big cut out of your profits. I might consider 10% IF I stood to make more money there...

I have a bubble machine that I use at some events, and it works great. I do get lots of customers who came over because they saw the bubbles. Smile
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum