Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Can't Paint on Myself

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can't Paint on Myself

Post by fluttersby on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 am

Well, I've been dying to get some practice painting, but found I am definitely too blind to paint myself without my glasses. Bummer!! Actually, I can lay down the base OK but details I can't see very well. I will keep practicing the bases though and I know I can practice linework, teardrops, cheekart, etc. on my arms and legs, which I can see because I can wear my glasses. I was so excited though because after several attempts I actually got my butterfly wings to look decent, then I tried to detail them and they looked AWFUL. This will be difficult since I have no willing victims to paint since my boys are 17 and 19 and the thought of me painting them, well, you know, they are just beyond that in their eyes. I will keep practicing and try to get a pic up for advice soon.
fluttersby

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't Paint on Myself

Post by Sam on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 am

Your post made me chuckle! As soon as I say there's this new face I need to try, everyone in my house shouts "not it" and I'm left with trying to paint myself. I'm not very good at it, as I too, can't see the line work without my glasses. Sponging is fine, but the brush always hits the mirror when I get close enough to see for line work. I got a magnifying mirror and that does help some. My son is 24, and he will let me paint zombies or tribals once in a while, or if I bribe him with his favorite desert!
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 am

It seems like I can paint the right side OK, just when get to the left, I can't see it as that eye is so much weaker. I will try a magnifying mirror. My 17 year old said I could make him a zombie for Halloween, but that won't help my basics much but will be practice. He has ALOT of friends that are girls and I told him to ask them if they would come and model for me and I would do their Halloween makeup if they wanted in return. I can't expect a "busy" teen to come sit for an hour or so for me for nothing.

I hate that I can't see without the glasses. If mine broke I think I'd be bedridden until I could get new ones.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Go to the park
Look up homeschool groups
try little league practices

I did a lot of these once I got a website & needed better photos. Bring your business card, planner, camera & photo consent forms. Offer it for free, but let the kids know that since it's free you get to pick the design.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Those are great ideas, Psalmbook. I need to get some business cards, I guess even though I'm not technically "ready" but I can see the need to get it done.

By the way, I absolutely LOVE the monarch butterfly avatar. I have always loved butterflies, and part of my e-mail address has been fluttersbybutterfly for many years and I use "fluttersby" for a few nicknames online.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:23 pm

My very first experience with "real" painting was when I had my then 16 year old son invite a big group of friends over to be my guinea pigs. The kids ranged in age from 15 to 19, I bought pizza and soda and they spent the whole afternoon each one letting me paint them.
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Funny, I have about the opposite problem. I'm rather skilled at painting on myself. But, I don't paint others regularly enough, so I don't do so good when it's time to paint someone else! HA!
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:51 pm

hmmm. I wonder if I could go to youth group with them. Theirs is a very laid back, in the pastor's home type thing and they all hang out afterwards. Definitely many kids there, although teens, but still it could be practice.
fluttersby

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpers4you on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 pm

I have five kiddos (boys and girls) under 13, so I usually have plenty of practice faces when I need them, but by now they all hate to be guinea pigs. I send out a facebook post offering free face painting to my friend's kiddos to use for marketing materials as my 5 year old models in the majority of my samples =). When I wanted to get into belly painting, I sent out a message on Craigslist and several of the "moms forums" in the area offering it for free so I could build my portfolio. You'd be surprised at how many willing participants you will get - and since it's free, you can pick the design you want to paint, or let them choose from a few designs that you want to practice.
jumpers4you

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:23 pm

I would host a "party" at a park or something. You can explain you need to practice and are doing face painting for free in an ad on craigslist.

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it harder to work on herself than someone else.
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:35 pm

I think it is easier and the faces turn out much better when I do them on myself...
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm getting better at painting on myself, but the lines & tear drops never go exactly where I want them Sad
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:35 pm

I paint myself all the time... it is easier than trying to coordinate schedules with my models. I don't have kids or young relatives available so recruit the kids of friends and co-workers, and have some great adult models too.

I have to admit that painting myself is getting more difficult as my eyesight is getting a bit weak close up but I manage... at least for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Well my daughter who used to jump at the chance to model for me has now decided that modeling for me...."yeah not so much" She is in 6th grade now has got her gaggle of friends and now boys........sighhhhhh. If I have to hear the name Casey one more time I will scream!!!!! As for her brother....well I am lucky if Joel let's me paint his face once or twice a year.

Anyway I was kinda forced into painting myself, and now I am happy to say I have gotten pretty good at it. So hang in there.

Last edited by ChangingFaceDesigns on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 am

I'm not great at painting myself, it's hit or miss.. especially without my glasses.. I have to wear my contacts in order to see what the heck I'm doing!
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top