Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Cold Season...aka do I really want to paint that kid?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cold Season...aka do I really want to paint that kid?

Post by Ginacentral on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:02 pm

This happened to me last year starting about this time and at the time i was extremely new. It seemed like every other kid had a cold or sniffles. But the ones that really bother me are the ones with snot literally pouring out of their noses. What I did last year was make them/parent clean their face with a baby wipe, then I would use a throw away cheap sponge (which i hated). I would spray my paints with alcohol afterward.

If its a visibly sick kid do you guys still paint them? If not what do you say with out embarrassing the kid ( i don't want to traumatize the kids in front of other kids). I did start offering temp tattoos because of this trying to steer them that route. I also had a sign up that said if you have a cold I had the right to refuse service.

What do you guys do in this circumstance?
Ginacentral

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Cold Season...aka do I really want to paint that kid?

Post by Sam on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:14 pm

If someone obviously has a cold (or rash, or lesion, or whatever) I do a forehead or eye design, or something on their arm instead of a full face design. I have only had one parent get a little snippy, and parents in line pretty much shut her down right away. I also use hand sanitizer between kids, and although it makes my hands dry, it gets approving nods from Moms quite often!
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Its clearly posted on my signs that are out by my line that I will not paint any person showing any sign of illness or skin condition due to potential cross contamination. I do however offer to do a temporary tattoo as an alternative.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Clayton on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Same here... I'll paint on their arm, but I think I'm going to get some temporary tattoos too. thanks for the suggestion!!!

Oh, and hand sanitizer is a must!!!
Clayton

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2010-02-16

http://www.marvelousmasks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:20 pm

I don't usually paint visibly sick kids...never at a public event (I have posted signs too,) but in the case of a private party, I have mixed the paint separately before application for a hand or arm design and retired that brush after use.

I've had parents upset because they have waited in line with their kid (while green snot is running down their face mind you) and I refuse to paint them. All I say is "I'm really sorry, but I have signs clearly stating that I don't paint anyone who is visibly sick."

I had one parent who persisted, but another parent took care of them swiftly by saying something to the effect of "Hey, I don't want my kid painted after yours, he's got snot running all over the place."
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:08 pm

I would just do a cheek design or crown.

If this happens to me, I can just see myself passing out from holding my breath. So as to not breath in their sickeness Razz LOL

Clayton, I just realized who you were! I'm a YT subbie Very Happy I was on vacation when you uploaded your Avatar on YT so it didn't register with me Suspect
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 pm

It's AIRBORN SEASON! I stock up on Airborn & use it like crazy in sick season Very Happy
As far as sick kids, I'll paint their arm, but nothing on the face. I have posted I don't paint visibly sick kids, ones w/ open soars, lice, etc.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:54 pm

My signs say I will not paint sick or people who APPEAR to be sick.. the old "it is just an allergy" or "her eyes are really sensitive" or "it is just dry skin" don't get by me.... anymore.

If they keep waiting even after reading it, and it is in THREE locations on my table, display, signs.... I have no problem refusing to paint them. I do carry stickers and tattoos to give the kids - who have often waiting patiently, not being able to read the signs themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top