Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Halloween appointments

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Halloween appointments

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm

The big day for bookings is the Saturday - it is the party night. That day I am booked from 9 a.m. to as late as they keep coming. I have bookings until 9:30 p.m. but it always runs late as pretty much all of them bring along friends who want to get done too.

I also take bookings the Friday and Sunday. And this year as Halloween is a Wed, I have a 6 a.m. and then have to go to work, then have more bookings starting at 5:30 p.m.

All of my bookings are adults.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:40 am

Wow Shannon, you stay so busy. On a side note, I'm curious, do you ever feel completely burned out and need to take days off just to restore your energy and creativity? In my mind you are a face and body artist SUPER HERO! Do super heros get burned out? I hope I will one day be busy like you but also have the endurance to do it all. Smile
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 am

Jody Rife wrote:Wow Shannon, you stay so busy. On a side note, I'm curious, do you ever feel completely burned out and need to take days off just to restore your energy and creativity? In my mind you are a face and body artist SUPER HERO! Do super heros get burned out? I hope I will one day be busy like you but also have the endurance to do it all. Smile
She just plugs herself into the mains current and recharges, ready to take on the world again. I'm fairly sure Shannon isn't like the rest of us. Wink
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am

I don't work every weekend necessarily so I do get "breaks" if you can call them that! Rolling Eyes

But it is a matter of making hay while the sun shines, ya know?! If there is demand, work it and get the money in the bank.

If I do have a "day off" I still have to care for mom and do housework.

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am

No rest for the weary, as they say.
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Kammy wrote:I've been using a primer if I want my face paint to go on more smoothly and last longer - though generally a GOSH or Rimmel one, as I'm allergic to MLMs! It does seem to work, so I'm glad to see someone else thinks so, too.)

I'm allergic to MLM's too tongue I only have the primer from them LOL

I'm with Shannon...I usually only paint adults and my busy day is the Saturday. I paint my kids, but other parents generally don't want to pay what I charge for quality work. This morning I saw on a 'local mom facebook page' a comment from a mom in my hometown looking for a facepainter that does a good job cheap for Halloween! LOL. A lot of moms commented recommending me, but her comment back was I was too expensive. Gee then don't be frustrated because the $5 job you had booked with someone across the river cancelled on ya. Stick with adults! I also make them pay 50% at booking to reserve the spot. I paint a few adults Halloween morning too.
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Kammy wrote:I've been using a primer if I want my face paint to go on more smoothly and last longer - though generally a GOSH or Rimmel one, as I'm allergic to MLMs! It does seem to work, so I'm glad to see someone else thinks so, too.)

I'm allergic to MLM's too tongue I only have the primer from them LOL

I'm with Shannon...I usually only paint adults and my busy day is the Saturday. I paint my kids, but other parents generally don't want to pay what I charge for quality work. I saw on a 'local mom facebook page' a comment from a mom in my hometown looking for a facepainter that does a good job cheap for Halloween! LOL. A lot of moms commented recommending me, but her comment back was I was too expensive. Gee then don't be frustrated because the $5 job you had booked with someone across the river cancelled on ya. Stick with adults! I also make them pay 50% at booking to reserve the spot. I paint a few adults Halloween morning too.
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautylicious on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 pm

shannon quick question, ive been contacted for a halloween party, to do SFX as a form of entertainment. I don't know what to charge, could you give me some advice.
thanks

Beautylicious

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Regular rate PLUS supplies.

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:12 pm

CreateFaces wrote:I've used Mehron setting powder, just the powder not the one with antiperspirant like in that link and I was not impressed.

It dulls down the color and if applied too heavily you end up with powdery blotches.

To get the colors nice and bright again, you can wet a washcloth and carefully dab it on the colors to remove the excess powder. Some people prefer to lightly mist the face with water and then blot with a towel. You can try both ways and see which you prefer.
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 pm

So just to clarify, using a primer on the face before paint will help it last longer and you guys think the spray sealer is better than the setting powder over face paint? I need to know what to order. Smile
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 am

I had to turn down an adult Halloween party because I'll be trick or treating with my daughter... too bad, she was willing to pay an extra $55... Any takers? lol
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Melason on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 pm

This is such an AWESOME thread!! I never thought about Halloween appointments before. I will be sure to do that next year. I do have alot of Fall Festivials and one Halloween party on the day. So I will be busy. Keep up the great tips and Love the Poster!! Will be doing that skill/fire for sure.
Melason

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.melasonscreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helena on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I would love to get busy for Halloween... I have an event at a family celebration on Sat 27th but that's it as far as Halloweeny stuff goes.

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions about how the logistics of the PPF halloween option works...Where do you paint people's faces on halloween itself? Do you use your home or rent out a shopfront? How do you find the best way to advertise it so people will book?

I've contacted all the local farms that have pumpkin/halloween events on and the local ski clubs... but so far no takers...

any advice you can give would be great. Besides having itchy fingers to paint, (and halloween is such a FUN time to do so!) I really need to be busy - the face painting brings in the extra I need to make up the difference between my day-job wages and the bills that are due Smile

Thank you!
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm

We have a couple different ways we do it.

I set up in a local shop, generally owned by a friend (in the past we've set up at a tattoo shop, a psychic/pagan shop and a salon), and clients come to us. They tell me what they are looking for ahead of time and I allot the amount of time they need to them.

We also have full body art bookings (as in, head to toe with SFX). For that, we're having them meet us at a friends photography studio. That way photos can be taken and we have plenty of space.

This year we have back to back party and body bookings so it's not such a big deal for us. Community trick or treating is being moved to Saturday, which is such an odd idea to me, so 31st bookings are light, which I am good with.

And I totally agree with Shannon, take it while you can.

Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by acarreon on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 pm

omgoodness...i charged wayy to cheap to do this. i was just hopping for friends i know and they would come to me..so i said $12 a face..eekk!!!! but anything more then the face id charge more and if i come out to you id charge more..i should of got on here before making my price..ggrrrrr!!!!!!!!
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top