Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Practice head blues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Practice head blues

Post by earthorange on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:11 am

Hi all,

So I've been practicing on my practice head from wimex. It's flat in the back and doesn't stand up by itself. I'm concerned that practicing painting with it flat on a table isn't practical for real-life painting situations. I tried propping it up but it's awkward. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Julie
earthorange

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.peoplepaint.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Practice head blues

Post by BluAngL83 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am

visit a family restaurant say Cici's or Fuddruckers (they dont normally pay, but they give you free food) and paint there once a month or week for practice. I hate painting on the heads: too slippery and you can't move the head at an angle to paint it with out support.
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:01 pm

I have a few practice things, but an actually child helps! I just don't get the right practice in if I do it on a pad or practice head.

I guess you can try propping it up with a towel rolled up behind it.
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by PatB on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:14 pm

You can purchase the head holders from Wimex that clamp to the table. The texture of the Wimex head is more like skin. I have another head that's more like the texture of a doll and the brush slips and slides. The Wimex head and practice sheets grab more like real skin.

Nothing is quite the same as practicing on a real person, though. Especially a wiggly little boy. lol!
PatB

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Does anyone know how much the stands are?

I just kind of hold mine on an angle when I'm practicing. I think once you get the technique down (of whateer you are practicing) you'll be ok personally.
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyfacesofct on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I went to my local beauty supply store and picked up a hairdressing practice manniquin head. They usually carry both male and female heads. The heads are normally bald. I bought a head stand (looks like a spike on a "C" clamp") so it can be secured to a table. Works out perfect for practice as these are full heads. You can even practice your bald head painting. Darker paints can be a little harder to remove and might stain a little. If this happens use one of those "magic eraser" cleaning pads and it usually comes off clean without much rubbing or even a little spray cleaner with bleach if staining is really stubborn.

(I even bought a couple of cheap wigs at the halloween store for "Milly" the Manniquin. :-)

You can see some of my practice faces on Milly at my web site under "Photos2" at
www.funnyfacesofct.com

Last edited by funnyfacesofct on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

funnyfacesofct

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.funnyfacesofct.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top