Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How much does it take?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much does it take?

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 pm

I was just looking over my supplies and got to thinking about how much I've spent on all of them.

How many times a month do you guys find yourself ordering more supplies or stocking our kit with additional goodies?

I know I order atleast twice a month and my orders usually run over $100.00.

How many times a month do you all find yourself shelling out more dough for the stuff needed to "do what we do"? Smile Thought it would be interesting....and sorry if it's been done before, I'm almost certain it has. Hope everyone is doing great.
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: How much does it take?

Post by Perry Noia on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:02 pm

To be honest, I've only been buying face painting supplies once a YEAR... balloons, every other month. I'm face painting almost every weekend, but paints last a long time.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:08 pm

I usually don't order alot of paints.. but I do have to get black and white every 2 to 3 months.. glitter also... but the rest of my paints last a very long time...I do but rainbow cake occasionally when a new color combo comes out.. but i make most of my own...
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Wow...how much painting do you do? That seems like alot of supplies. I buy stuff all the time. But, nothing to replenish my paints. I can have a cake last forever. Some colours I have not replaced in a year.
How many coats do you put on each kid? haha lol! clown

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:26 pm

lol, I buy so often because i run through a lot of airbrush paints....they don't last nearly as long as cakes.
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I find that mostly I am ordering things that I want to try rather than that I really need something. But, I do use a lot of white Wolfe paint. It depends on how many festivals I am doing. I do more festival work than I do anything else. But, I use some of the smaller rainbow cakes, I like the size for little faces. So, I go through them a lot faster than maybe some other people might. I don't think it may be the most economical thing to get the smaller size but is convenient and works well for me. Once every couple of months I am ordering those. I like the idea of the bigger rainbow cakes but, It seems they last a while for me. I use them mostly for my rainbow tigers,and quick butterfly faces.

Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Ah!!! It makes sense to me now. You run out of airbrush paints. LOL! I was really trying to wrap my head around having to replace paint that often.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Are you painting whole bodies? I airbrush, and even after painting 500+ tattoos on kids in a day I haven't used 1/2 an ounce (total) of airbrush ink.... most of my purchases are because I have a stencil addiction, not that anything needs replacing. Mind you I have a few hundred ounces of ink/paint to use up still...
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Yeah tattoos really don't require much paint. I do full face, 1/2 face, all kinds. I assume you are using an airbrush paint that you mix yourself and not a hybrid because a quality hybrid paint retails for around $25.00 a bottle and it's easy to get to $100.00 at that rate.
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Spectrum wrote:Yeah tattoos really don't require much paint. I do full face, 1/2 face, all kinds. I assume you are using an airbrush paint that you mix yourself and not a hybrid because a quality hybrid paint retails for around $25.00 a bottle and it's easy to get to $100.00 at that rate.

How do you make your own airbrush makeup? I just bought an aribrush and the paint is crazy expensive. Of course I want a paint that won't clog the airbrush constantly.
Do tell you secrets>>>>>>>

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Interesting! No, I don't mix my own, nor do I use a hybrid, I'm either asked to do longer lasting (body only) alcohol based, or face paint (water based). I assume you are using Wolfe's EFlow or Graftobian then? Even when I'm doing full faces I only go through maybe an ounce (between all colors), but I'm using Kryolan airstream or Mehron. I hadn't planned on buying the hybrids for a few months - I tend to do most of my purchasing at trade shows to minimize shipping and maximize discounts.
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:55 pm

That's a smart way to save a few bucks Noella, yeah I stay booked at this point, so I do go through a ton of paint. I do like The Mehron LUX as well. The LUX and the graftobian are wonderful. I'm not too fond of Kryolan products personally but I know a lot of people who enjoy them very much!
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey glitterfly, most of the hybrid paints are pretty much clog free, of course everyone is going to get a clog every once in a while. I find that the paints you mix yourself clog the most due to user error in not getting the exact consistency. A lot of people still mix the mehron liquid paint with a thinning agent to save a couple bucks on the paint. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a hassel for me personally, plus with the hybrids, they are mixed and ready to go! I'd say go with Graftobian or Mehron Lux. You can also use Ben Nye liquid mixed with a thinning agent...but once again, you have to make sure you've measured correctly to avoid clogging and so on. The hybrids are going to cost more of course, but for me they are well worth it. Be careful with some brands because certain colors have shelf lives....I've never experienced a problem with it, but someone who's not going through a lot of paint might. Smile Thanks for responsing to my thread!
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Last time I BOUGHT anything was over a year ago when I was in San Fransisco... I emailed my shopping list to the Kryolan Store and Joe had my order waiting for me, and when we arrived there was a 30% off everything on orders over $50 so, well, of course I has to get 30% MORE stuff.

Airport security was interesting... all the cakes got swabbed.

I generally don't buy often. I swap a lot, and I think, this year, I only purchased actual face paint for a large job which paid for the order.

I can honestly say I have NEVER run out of anything... without having a replacement sitting at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 pm

I've been building up my kit, so in the past I've placed quite a few orders and spent too much money on fun stuff. Now I'm reaching a plateau where I have a lot of stuff and don't really feel the need to buy something unless it's to replace something I use a lot, or I just have to try it.

Wow, talk about a run-on sentence.
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSparklingLady on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Glitter. I am always buying different shades of glitter and powders. I just got a tip to put the powder in a wand. which I have only been using for glitter. Now I realize that it was INTENDED for the powder not glitter.
DUH.

I love splits and havent had time to make my own so I bought the Mehron set and I LOVE it!
TheSparklingLady

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.thesparklinglady.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:21 am

I did a lot of buying early on, but now it's just to replenish. I might up my Kryalon's as I like how they work & last. I do buy white & black every month or two. That's because when I run out I'm in a hurry & have to buy it locally & they only carry the small size.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:08 am

I'm slowing growing my stash little by little. I've got mostly all that I need now. I'm so bad to want to buy new things to try even though I don't NEED them Wink I probably spend $50 a month, but just depends on how busy I am if it's every month Smile
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:20 am

I mostly order to replenish the basics, but put a little back each gig to save for jams or classes with a vendor, and for FABAIC. (Hope I can go in 2011!)
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:07 am

It totally varies on season and where I am/ what i'm doing. This summer was insane as I didn't have a single day off, so was ordering every few weeks (plus I also kept getting unexpected evening gigs requiring stuff I don't automatically keep in stock).

I have a stash of won/ swapped paints in my main colours, or ones that I don't use/can't swap and other stuff I have yet to get round to using but the rest I welly thru and replace as needed.

Must say it was interesting as this summer I was hired by a woodland tree adventure place to paint nature/ magical faces every day. Instead of the usual pink and red replacements it was all the greens and purples I ran through as I wasn't doing so many spidermen and pink cats!

If I'm busy/ lazy i do have to keep re-ordering asstd types of rainbow and 1stroke leafy cakes, usually I make them but if it gets too busy I pay the extra and buy them:)

Cat x
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top