Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Investing in good brushes SOON!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Investing in good brushes SOON!

Post by Amanda on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 am

Ok, So I've been doing this for about 5 months now and I'm to the point where I'm ready to invest in some GOOD brushes. Anyone have any favorite brands or advice on which NOT to get?

The idea of spending $5-$10 on one brush is definitely not appealing, but my $2 brushes have no good points anymore, and I now realize how much money I wasted on those when I should have just gotten a few really good quality ones. Before I drop the cash though I want to make sure I'm paying for quality, not a name. Comments and suggestions are appreciated!!
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Investing in good brushes SOON!

Post by aprilmoonflower on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Metina sells quality brushes in the forum shop. I would invest in a handful of different ones (synthetic and sable) and try them out. Or if you can get to a jam or something like that maybe ask to try another painter's out?
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:48 pm

$5-10??? Where? I spend $30 one ONE brush... I'm stupid in some ways What a Face my favourite Winsor & Newton "Cirrus" #6 round Kolinsky Sable is between $28-$34 usually. IF I have a Michael's 40% off coupon I always use it to buy another one as I can never have too many.

There are lots of decent brushes out there but $5-10 is on the very resonably priced side... cheaper is just that, CHEAP! I tried to use one line of Royal brushes that were on sale at Michael's for $2.50 a brush... not really great for face painting. But the larger ones work for body painting well enough so they weren't a total waste on my money.

I don't buy "face painting" brushes - I just go into Michael's or art supply stores and pick out what looks good. I like to touch before I buy.

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 pm

I am glad to hear that I really am justified in spending $18+ for a brush Shannon! yay! I thought I was just going waaaaay overboard! lol.

Metina's brushes are pretty good though. I'm sure they are better than the $2 ones!
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:31 pm

I lucked up on my brushes....A.C. Moore was clearancing out alot of their inventory so I was able to get $50.00 brushes marked down to $10-$12 and used their 40% & 50% coupons on top of it. I really made out like a bandit.

I have the following in my working kit:

Loew-Cornell La Corneille line (smokey lucite handles)
Royal & Langnickel Sofia Line
Robert Simmons Sapphire line
Loew Cornell Comfort Series (sapphire blue handles with contour grip)
Royal soft grip (clear handle)
and maybe 2 or 3 by American Painter

Those craft smart brushes (light blue handles) I just use those as part of my at home practice kit.
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Go to a craft store or an art supply store and check them out.

I got a pretty good deal on a set of Vargas brushes, and I really like them. It's pretty pricey to buy them separately.
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Jenny on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:46 pm

My take on brushes...What works for me, for Mark Reid, for Metina, may not work for you. Brushes are a personal thing. My favorite brushes are Winsor Newton Sables. But I have Loew Cornell, Esocoda, Mark Reid, Princeton, and a couple American Painters. Price ranges from a dollar for the american painter to about $50 for some of the Winsor Newton and Esocoda brushes.

Good luck finding your best brush.

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:11 am

I believe that buying brushes is according to your preference..stiffer, sable..etc, etc
This is what I have:
Winsor & Newton Cotman Series
Princeton "Summit" (Love them)
Princeton 4350R
Loew Cornell 795 (love them)
American Painter
Mark Reid
All rounds.
Simply Simmons filberts Cheap but good...$2.99 at Michaels
Donna Dewberry Flats
Bad Purchased:
Royal Soft Grip Round
Simply Simmons Fan Brush
Simply Simmons Flat Brushes..

Have fun buying brushes!! Very Happy
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am

Most the brushes I have are from Michael's & work very well. If you are losing some shape to them, dip them in boiling water & reshape them. I had a bunch of my brushes tip in my kit & the tips got all messed up. This technique fixed them. Remember, dip, don't soak.
Also, don't leave your brushes in the rinse water cup. It'll bend your tips.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Yes, I concur brush care is super important regardless of how much was spent. If you want your brushes to perform time after time and have some longevity of use.....you must must must properly clean and store your brushes.... can't say that enough
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I am madly in love with my Robert Simmons Sapphire #6. I can't get enough of that brush! I'm going to go and buy more this weekend!

I just purchased a few from Metina and from Silly Farm, but haven't had real time to review them enough to say if I love them, yet. I did reach for my Royal Garden brushes for small details at my last gig.

I have heard good things about the Soft Grips. I bought a set from Silly Farm and played with one or two. They seem to be nice.

I've bought several Royal Majestics and trust them. I have to be careful not to get my paint too dry or the brushes will split. I can do great swirls with the #0. My swirls in my avatar are done with the Royal Majestic #0.

I don't think I've paid more then $9 for one brush. I buy them when they go on sale or use a coupon. I love Hobby Lobby for their sales!

CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by dlbradsher on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Ditto for wanting to handle a brush before I buy it. Everyone is going to feel something different in both the grip and the bristles. Personally I have large hands and can't manage long sessions with tiny-handled #2 rounds or liners without cramping.

My favorites are the Windsor Newton Artists' Water Colour Sables for rounds, Windsor Newton Cotmans for larger body brushes and filberts, and Simmons expressions for small filberts, liners & dagger brushes. WN sables are ridiculously expensive but I consider those an investment - I still have a couple of art school WN rounds that are ratty-looking but are still in working condition after 35 years.

David
dlbradsher

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top