Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Stress Management ..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stress Management ..

Post by Inca on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 am

Hey talented people,

I have been doing face painting "professionally" for a very short time,(started my Business beginning of Oct).
I am not sure it's related, but EVERY time i go out for a gig, I am so stressed! I stomach aches, I cant eat, my brain goes in million directions or just blank..
I am so stressed that i have a hard time leaving the house, i check my kit a million times to make sure i haven't forgotten anything.
In two words- ITS CRAZY!
I spoke to my mom about it, she said she once heard this really famous singer telling how he was stressing out before every concert, and im thinking, will i be able to handle that for so long?
I have to remind myself on the way to take few deep breaths, and to remember that i am good at it. I have to say that everyone who knows me thinks that im super cool about it, and none of the people who know me will ever imagine i am going through this unless i told them! what im trying to say is, this is not my typical me.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? or am i going nuts?
Inca

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Stress Management ..

Post by Fabtastic on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:44 am

I just started officially in August myself, and I felt like that the first few times. But then it calmed down, especially when I was working Saturdays and Sundays every weekend throughout October. I think that it felt more routine as I did it regularly. Now, I haven't done any jobs for a couple of weeks so I may feel nervous again when I do go out again.

I have two suggestions for you. One, make a checklist. Make it as thorough as you need it to be in order to feel sure that you haven't forgotten anything, and go through it ONCE every time before you go out. Don't second-guess yourself, trust the checklist. Let the checklist take the responsibility, don't carry that weight on your mind.

Second, remind yourself that this is not brain surgery. No one's life depends on you. Ask yourself what's the worst thing that can happen, and answer yourself honestly.

Deep breaths are good, maybe try some relaxation techniques before you go out. Very Happy
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Inca - Sounds like you are having some pretty severe anxiety! I've had luck generally with doing things like listening to delta/alpha/theta CDs regularly (get them from the library) because meditation doesn't work for me - I just get more anxious then - lol! A simple yoga practice can do wonders. Even just doing the sun salutation set three times a day. And I also make my own herbal tinctures - so much more cost effective. Teas might be easier. Chamomile is a good one for example as it generally doesn't make me sleepy - but if you are allergic to ragweed you can't use that one. I love passionflower and valerian for insommnia BUT even though it isn't supposed to I find I get depressed if I take passionflower regularly for more than a week. Herbs are very powerful! Skullcap is another good one for anxiety. Just do lots of research and use your common sense. Course for me just a plain cup of good peppermint tea does wonders to my psyche.

What Hazel said about it not being brain surgery is so right though - my biggest breakthroughs came when I realized that it just isn't worth it to stress and really retraining my thoughts. Look at your experience - that's the real indicator of future success - not anticipating something that hasn't happened yet. Hugs and good luck!
pixieface

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:05 am

Inca, When I 1st started face painting I'd get very nervous before a job. That was 5 years ago & it doesn't happen any more, so there is hope Very Happy

Some things I've done that I think helps me w/ the anxiety are:
1) When I get home from a job, I'm not done working. I get my kit ready for the next gig, even if it's a week away. Wash my brushes, sponges, wiping everything down, getting fresh towels into the kit, replenishing items I've used up, etc. This way my kits ready at a moments notice (I've been thankful for this when I've gotten last minute jobs where their entertainer bailed)& I don't feel stressed before the event, trying to get ready.
2) I put on my "uniform": This is my fun time, where I paint my face for the event. I love to play with new designs & ideas & I find it very relaxing to paint my face. While I'm doing this I also pray(I'm a person of prayer). I pray the event goes well & that there's nothing I can't handle at it. I pray for opportunities to make the kids & adults feel special.
3) I pack what I need for the job into my van.

Don't worry, you'll find your comfort zone & it'll all fall into place!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:44 am

What Linda said... it does ease off once you are confident and the routine has become second nature to you.

I still get occasional butteflies Rolling Eyes when I'm heading out to a new client in a new place and it involves driving somewhere I've never been in the middle of nowhere with "county" directions.

My kit is ALWAYS put away ready to go so I never have to "remember" things.

And I take the time, like Linda, to get ready and paint my own face which is great for relaxing and getting "in the mood."

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Yes, I used to feel that same way before any gig, and it DOES get better. Smile Like Shannon said, you'll become more confident and packing your kit will become second nature to you. I remember the anxiety over forgetting something important, getting lost, things maybe going wrong. You've been painting about 6 weeks? It may take months or even a year to get over that, depending on how often you work. It's normal to worry, don't worry. Laughing

Definitely create a check-list for packing. I keep ALL of my kit together in one place so that I can grab it and go, and know that nothing is missing.

A GPS is PRICELESS for finding addresses! I still print out a map (just in case) if the area is unfamiliar, but the GPS has eased my mind so much that I'd list it as maybe #3 on my important-items list, right after paints and brushes! I don't have to worry about maps or directions, I can just drive where it tells me to.

When I used to get anxious about gigs, I would have trouble sleeping the night before an early morning job. I'd wake up every hour or so, in a panic that I had overslept or had the starting time wrong. It became so annoying that I began writing the job info out on a sticky note and putting it right beside my bed so that I could glance at it quickly and see what time I needed to wake up, what time I needed to leave the house, and what time the gig started. (Okay, now you all know how neurotic I am! Ha!)
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inca on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 pm

I really appreciate all the comments! especially knowing that you all have gone through this yourself, Angie, i check the time 10 times even when its not an early gig... I even drove half way to my gig and then realized that I was an hour early, and drove back home.. I think i will start with some relaxation methods to see which one is most effective for me. and GPS is the next thing on my list! I just got $50 gift card for Best Buy so it goes towards a GPS! I do have a regular gig that now i feel more comfortable with.
I keep questioning my skills, I guess more practice will help, but i need to find models :/ , but still, I have been doing art related things all my life, its only when i look back at it in years perspective is when i appreciate it, asking myself why i gave myself such a hard time, when i was working on it...
I am going to work on a checklist as well, im sure it will help me not to stress out about what I have forgot.. thats a great Idea!
I know no one will die if I suck at it, but i want to be the best i can, my business is new and i need GOOD exposure! and happy clients to start this word of mouth going around.

anyways i just really need to relax...
thank you for the great advice!
Inca

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:09 am

Stage fright is okay, but totally self-defeating... Do all those things you just said then let go! Truly, it will show up in your painting. Be confident!
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maurs on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 am

My mate Gis (another facepainter) suffered very badly from this. She found the more she painted the better it got. I'm an actor aswell and it's different from going on stage. Your going into someones home. Just remember, plumbers, electricians, public nurses etc. do the same thing.

The 'prep yer kit after each gig' is very practical along with a check list maybe. Prepping the night before is good too, especially if it's a long journey, you've to do 'routefinder 'or google it, and you've to change your board for a theme.
maurs

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I used to hate that the birthday kid always wanted to be first, and I was still "shaky" from nerves.
Every now and again before a big festival I still have a twinge of nerves, but no way as bad as I used to have.....so yeah, it DOES get better.

The day I showed up at the NC State Fair to paint all day & my good brushes were still drying by the sink where I'd left them I made SURE that my kit was put away after each job.
Ugh, I made do with the old brushes that live in the bottom of my kit, but man......I kicked myself all day for it! Mad
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maurs on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 am

Linda Adams wrote:I used to hate that the birthday kid always wanted to be first, and I was still "shaky" from nerves

I painted at my friends daughters birthday on Saturday (great way to get practice without nerves and it's also the pressie!!). There was a little tussle in the line to be 'first' so I pointed out that if one is last, your face stays on longer.... so then the birthday girl wanted to be last!! Shocked
maurs

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Linda, I also hate doing the bday child 1st. I'm usually nice & warmed up by the 3rd child & my paints are at the perfect consistency.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Maurs,
I'm definitely stealing that idea!!!
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EVENTERTAINMENTS on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:38 pm

haha and me!!! oh my goodness, how clever!
EVENTERTAINMENTS

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2010-10-09

http://www.eventertainments.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Stress Management

Post by Gisrus on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I know exactly how you feel. Five weeks after learning how to face paint off the internet I got a gig face painting at a large shopping mall in Dublin with an experienced face painter. It all went reasonably well and I got other bookings. When I had to do the 2nd gig that's when the nerves kicked in. My family weren't allowed to talk to me 1 hr before a gig. I would check my kit several times. There were several restroom trips and my stomach would be churning almost making me sick. ALL THIS FOR SOMETHING I LOVE. Once I was at the gig I was fine. It was all the build up beforehand. I kept thinking I would be found out and that someone would shout YOU'RE NOT A FACE PAINTER.

I think my problem was that every gig I did was different so I had no experience to fall back on. As I gained experience and perfected my faces and got faster I gained confidence. I painted on Shop Street in Galway in August just to keep my hand in. Too big a gap between gigs is never good for me. I've been busy since Sept and I have bookings through to Dec. Quite a bit of it repeat business from last year. It took 18 months for me to stop feeling nervous but I got there in the end. Basically, painting is the best medicine.

Gisrus

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-07-26

http://www.facepainting-ireland.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top