Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

All time favourites and go to items in kit?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All time favourites and go to items in kit?

Post by JBM on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:21 pm

So I'm dipping my toes in the water about adding face painting into my henna stall permanently and building it up as a complimentary stand alone business. I did my first 2 gigs the weekend before last and I didn't totally suck and there were so many in the line I didn't get through them...need sooo much practice on splitcakes, double loading etc.. anyways I've started with a really basic kit, a toolbox, a few Snaz paints, some home-made split cakes and some cheap brushes from the dollar store and got a few car washing sponges cut up into lots of little sponges and some glitter. I'm hoping I can pace myself on buying more (I'm full time mum and we got a mortgage) as I could easily go crazy and buy everything. I'm thinking brushes are a priority. Then more colours. So my questions are

1. All time favourite face-painting product - one you couldn't do a gig without.
2. top 3 brushes? Nylon or sable?
3. Go to book or DVD that really stepped your skills up a notch?
4. Any recommendations for classes in Australia? I'm rural so will consider anywhere but prob not WA or NT at this stage...

TIA I love you
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Re: All time favourites and go to items in kit?

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

1. All time favourite face-painting product - one you couldn't do a gig without.

Sponges. Very hard to do a job without them.

Round Kolinsky Sables - #4 and #6

It is a bit dated now, but still a very good beginner book - Making Faces by Sian Ellis Thomas. It was my first face painting book, the second was the Grimas make-up book.

4. Any recommendations for classes in Australia? I'm rural so will consider anywhere but prob not WA or NT at this stage...

No clue. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 am

Hey,

Im pretty new to face painting too. I know that in Australia Bec Anthony is doing a workshop tour in early 2011. Places are booking really fast, but there could be some spots still left, depending on where abouts you're at. Also Maria Mormille is in Victoria, but is doing workshop tours as well. As far as classes im not so sure. But there are plenty of workshops around. Facebook has lots of info, also The Australian Facepainters forum.
Hope that helps.
Fiona

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 am

Round 3# and 4#'s, sponges, TAG Old Gold. Im not a huge fan of gold at the best of times but this is such a stunning colour, you can do a face with just this colour and people are so impressed.

Nylon Round 3#, 4# and a TAG fillbert 12#. Brands, Loew Cornell, Royal Majestic and Esscoda Barrocco.

Wolfe Bros. Extreme Face Painting and Suzanne Mykolajenko's Little story book of face painted fairies 1&2. I got them just this week and have done variations of the designs already. Also she's a Perth girl and a lovely human being.

Bec is doing a tour, Mark Reid is as well, the Ozzie forum is a great place to find out about stuff, use the net, you tube is a great place to watch artist at work and study the images on this forum, you will learn so much.

Good luck

Sam xx
Sam I Am

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-10-02

http://www.butterflysanddragons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 am

Fiona wrote:Hey,

Im pretty new to face painting too. I know that in Australia Bec Anthony is doing a workshop tour in early 2011. Places are booking really fast, but there could be some spots still left, depending on where abouts you're at. Also Maria Mormille is in Victoria, but is doing workshop tours as well. As far as classes im not so sure. But there are plenty of workshops around. Facebook has lots of info, also The Australian Facepainters forum.
Hope that helps.

How do I find the Bec Anthony tour info? I love her stuff!
Do you have a link for the Australian Facepainters forum?

I googled a bit but couldn't find anything but don't get heaps of net time cause I have a crazy energetic toddler and am spending spare time painting and marketing..thanks...

JBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:36 am

Its a google group. Bec should have info on her site.
Sam I Am

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:51 am

Awesome thanks so much for all your info:)
JBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:06 am

Hey JBM,

1. I couldn't do without my Wolfe Black & White (DFX will work too, haven't tried TAG yet)

2. Your brushes are one of the most important things you can buy. Spend a bit more on them than cheap dimestore ones & you'll be surprised how well your work looks!
Everyone is different.
I have a heavy hand when I paint so I like golden taklon brushes, Royal Majestic & Loew Cornell (actually pretty inexpensive compared to some)

3. As a beginner, Shannon's book "Your Face or Mine" was the most helpful to me as it has tips & techniques. It has some of the most requested faces in it and step by steps on how to make them look great!
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Photobucket

Here's Bec's 2011 tour dates. I did a workshop with her in Melb this year it was fantastic. She's such a lovely person.

http://www.australianbodyartawards.com.au/ here's another one I think would be really worth while going to. I just did a one day workshop with Maria who is the convention founder. Check out the web link to see who's going to be teaching, actually Bec's going
to be there too!!
DAYLESFORD - VICTORIA
ABAA & Convention Dates
Fri 18th to Thur 24th February, 2011
Dates includes pre & post Convention Classes

Friday 18th Feb
9.00 - 4.00pm Pre-convention Classes
5.30pm - 7.30pm Face Painting Comp - Professionals

Saturday 19th Feb
9.00am - 5 min Face Painting Competition
9.15am to 10.15am - Face Painting Competition- Novice
11.00am to 5.00pm - Body Painting Semi Professional
12 noon to 6.00pm - Body Painting Competition- Single
8.00 pm Evening Show - Model's performance

Sunday 20th Feb CONVENTION BEGINS!!!
9.30 to 6.00pm Daily Classes, as well as
2.00 - 7.00pm Body Painting Competition - Pairs
2.00 - 7.00pm UV Body Painting Comp
2.00 - 7.00pm Special FX (full body)
8.00pm Evening Show - Model's perform

Mon 21st Feb 9.30am- 6.00pm Convention & 7pm Dinner
Tues 22nd Feb 9.30am - 6.00pm Convention - last day
Wed 23rd Feb 10am - 5pm Post Convention Classes
Thur 24th Feb 10am - 5pm Post Convention Classes

enjoy xx
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:19 pm

I would so love to go to the convention, it looks so much fun.
Sam I Am

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 pm

What Mandie said!!! Haha. Im not great at computers, but Mandie did what i wanted to do!! Bec is amazing!! I am friends with her on facebook, so if you are on it then add her. She puts loads of info and pics on there!!! Actually facebook has been a great resource for me (not as good as this forum) but it does give dates and times of all the workshops going on in Oz. Also add Maria Mormille. She puts up any info on workshops and things on her facebook page too!! The Australian body art awards are a 20 minute drive from where i live!!! So exciting!!!
The australian face painting forum is a google group so you should be able to find it! Loads of oz info on there!!!
Fiona

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Very Happy Thanks so much Mandie. I've just sent through to Amy Grigg to try to get to Bec's class - I just called Amy before I saw your post cause I'll be in syd early Jan and am hoping she can fit me in for a class. Bummed I won't be able to go to the convention - I have a henna gig here in Jindy Feb 19th - its like the big festival of the year in our town - I had Micheal Buble tickets for that weekend and have given them up! If only I could spilt myself and be in 3 places on one weekend! Maybe next year. I love this forum! I think I may be slightly obsessed with face painting now and it is so awesome to be able to learn from everyone here! I love that everyone here is so dedicated to constantly improving their art it's so inspiring Very Happy
JBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Fiona wrote:What Mandie said!!! Haha. Im not great at computers, but Mandie did what i wanted to do!! Bec is amazing!! I am friends with her on facebook, so if you are on it then add her. She puts loads of info and pics on there!!! Actually facebook has been a great resource for me (not as good as this forum) but it does give dates and times of all the workshops going on in Oz. Also add Maria Mormille. She puts up any info on workshops and things on her facebook page too!! The Australian body art awards are a 20 minute drive from where i live!!! So exciting!!!
The australian face painting forum is a google group so you should be able to find it! Loads of oz info on there!!!

Hi Fiona, are you going to the ABAA in Feb? Wowweeee how fortunate are you living sooooooo close. If I was considering coming it would end up being quite an outlay for me airfares, car hire, accom & the course cost. phew makes a pricey trip don't think I can convince the hubby.
Mandi from Tazzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm

JBM wrote: I had Micheal Buble tickets for that weekend and have given them up!

OMG I love Micheal Buble`& you gave him up! Let us know how you get on with Amy if you get into Bec's course tell them
Mandi in Tazzie says hi. I'll probably go to the convention in 2012 too!
Mandi from Tazzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 am

Hey Mandi,
I dont know how to copy and paste and make it black like you guys do? I think i could learn some computer skills from this fab forum as well as all the awesome face and body art info i have read and learned!!
I do feel very fortunate living just down the road from maria!! I met her 2 years ago when she was in my little town painting for a Children's literacy week. She is fab!!!
I will def be going to the abaa in Feb. I couldnt not go. Its very exciting to see how many fantastic people will be there!!!
I get how pricey it could be for you!! Not fair!! Although if you were to book flights to Geelong (Avalon Airport) You would save heaps!! I could help with transport to Dayelsford. Accomodation in Dayelsford is very nice and very reasonably priced!!
Phuulleeeaaasssee Hubby?!!!! Haha
Fiona

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Fiona,

How to 'quote' or as you said copy & paste what someone else has said in black. Well when your reading someones post like mine right now, look to the far right hand side of my post & you'll see a little black oval with QUOTE in it. Just click on that & it will bring the persons post up in the white section where you can type a message. Do you get what I mean, hope so.

Heehee we as in my hubby & I had a look at the accom pricing last night in Dalesford. The cheapest was about $70/night. I went onto the ABAA's site to see what the costs are on that part $375 for the convention & $150/class. Although all the instuctors listed don't all seem to be doing classes, I shall have to email Maria & find out. fingers crossed.
Mandi from Tazzie

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Mandi from Tazzie wrote:
JBM wrote: I had Micheal Buble tickets for that weekend and have given them up!

OMG I love Micheal Buble`& you gave him up! Let us know how you get on with Amy if you get into Bec's course tell them
Mandi in Tazzie says hi. I'll probably go to the convention in 2012 too!

Yeah I'm super cut about not going to Buble. It was going to be mine and DH's first night away from Taz the toddler. Oh well. Trying to keep my henna business alive through the move to a new and smaller town so got to take the work when it comes in. Snagged the 2nd last place in Bec's sydney workshop. I'm so excited its riduculous!! I think my go to item in my face painting kit is this forum. I think I'd still be painting dodgy blobaflies and not even realising the amazing stuff real FP's are doing!
JBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:40 am

Heehee we as in my hubby & I had a look at the accom pricing last night in Dalesford. The cheapest was about $70/night. I went onto the ABAA's site to see what the costs are on that part $375 for the convention & $150/class. Although all the instuctors listed don't all seem to be doing classes, I shall have to email Maria & find out. fingers crossed.[/quote]

Hey Mandi,
That is so easy!! Thankyou!
If you wanted i could check out the accomodation here in Ballan, about 20mins from Dayelsford but would be a lot cheaper. Not as lovely of course, and also not a huge choice! But would save some $$$$
Yes it seems like just the 3 instructors taking classes. I haven't heard any different and i do receive updates via email. They are still looking for entrants in the novice face painting, so im thinking about it. It is quite pricey though, even more so for you guys Sad
I have the Athena Nick workshop this coming weekend, it seems im spending every spare cent on face painting these days!!
Anyways if i can help out to lower your costs then let me know! Smile
Fiona

Back to top Go down

Post by Fiona on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:41 am

Or not so easy for me as it didnt go black Sad
Fiona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top