Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Opportunity or Stupidity?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Opportunity or Stupidity?

Post by SuzySparkles on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:31 pm

when my daughter was a baby and couldn't poop on her own, I had to make her go with baby enemas...lets just say i got my face in there to make sure I was pinching her butt cheeks together close enough and she sneezed and POWWWWWWWWW...... my mouth was slightly open. Neutral
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:35 pm

LOL! Where is this thread going!!! Razz
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Holy Crap......!!!
No pun intended! Laughing
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Pixieface, when is this happening? ur super talented... I say go for it, that way you will have gained some practice and confidence. Can't wait for the update and try to have some one take pics of ur work Very Happy Good luck!!! you will be great!!
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:49 pm

I am just reading these stories and thinking - raising kids ... being around kids - it's just not for the faint-hearted is it? I have a good RV story about an exploding toilet, but I'm pretty sure no mouths were open at the time (except of course the screams to 'turn it off, turn it off' as I was manning the water while we back flushing). My BF still doesn't think that is a funny story...

Laughing
pixieface

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Kids = snot, poo, pee and cooties. I

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:33 pm

The cooties are the worst...LOL!

Okay. I committed and sent back in my little confirmation today. I'll update everyone and let you know how it goes. Mom will be there to man the booth with me so hopefully she can get some good photos!
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:44 pm

[quote="Shannon Fennell"]My biggest piece of advice... keep your mouth closed while you paint.

I let mine go a little slack - or I used to. Then the kid sneezed directly into my mouth... I now keep my lips firmly together!

I didn't die... but it was touch and go on whether he would. Evil or Very Mad[/quote]

OMG!! Laughing Laughing

This site is AWESOME! Not only was this hilarious (tho I do feel bad for you on that one) but it will let me REMEMBER that super helpful bit of advise without having to experience that one myself! You know, it really is these little things that just pile up to hitting the ground running like a pro!
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Question....

I am pulling every thing together I need for the booth on Saturday. Of course I have my kit and water and such, but I would love some help on signage. I will have a little 8 x 11.5 sign either taped to the front of the table or in a clear acrylic rack that says that the FP is courtesy of my company. I thought to have MSDS handy for questions and a bunch of little printed sheets that had my contact info on one side and cleaning instructions on the other (didn't have time to do business cards - which is okay). It will have my web page - which I'll have a one page little bit of info on by Saturday. My mom will be working with me for any needed line control, keeping kids fingers out of my kit, etc. I'll do the paint on numbers at end of day for end of line.

That leaves an easel with a poster - thoughts of how I could use this. My logo at top and then ...

Names of designs (I am doing reindeer faces and a little cheek art - snowman, tree lights, holly, santa, etc.) they can choose from.

A place to put when I'll be back if I take a break.

A large note about how I only use professional fda compliant makeup, yada yada.

And then I thought "some rules" - but the only thing I can really think of is ... a parent must accompany a child being painted (to put them on the stool, ensure they had permission, etc.)

What am I missing? Thanks everyone in advance for your input!
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

There was a line I read in a thread a while back, someone had a sign saying something like "If you leave your children unattended, we will give them creaming soda and a puppy" anyway I say this to parents all the time now, its a real gripe for me. Im a FP not a baby sitter.
Sam I Am

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-10-02

http://www.butterflysanddragons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:38 pm

That is a great idea and I would love to adopt it...but...uh...what is creaming soda?
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh I should add I am remembering model releases and also a sign up sheet for getting on a mailing list...
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Its sugar suspended in fizzy pop dyed bright red. Full of hyperactive fun for the whole family......
Sam I Am

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-10-02

http://www.butterflysanddragons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aussiemarie on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Hey Pixieface,
HOw did it go? I wish I had read this thread sooner because I would Offer to come to A-ville and help (via a PM). Just for holiday fun and shopping in a real city!
I have been working for tips at luminares around my area, no money but practice. I will try to send you my design sheet. Some are awfully poor but the customer did not seem to think so!
aussiemarie

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2010-05-12

http://www.maconfacesfacepainting.shutterfly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:47 am

A simple "GOOD MANNERS ZONE" goes a long way. Here in the states the signage could say, "An Energy Drink & a Puppy" Very Happy
I always keep the MSDS available but don't display it.
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:04 am

I survived!!!! I survived!!!!

Okay, it wasn't that bad. In fact it was the perfect situation I think to get my feet wet.

First, I had to sadly report it was not well attended - the event was a first year event put on by our accountant and her husband to benefit our local Christian ministry food bank. And what they pulled together itself was fantastic. It was at our local ag center expo hall - well heated, lots of booths, a walk around santa, speakers, raffling all day long, food and even a singer. It's sad because I know they didn't make the money/food for the food bank they could have. I also feel bad for other vendors who spent so much more on their booths and really put out a lot of effort putting lots of stuff of and to not have any foot traffic but mostly other vendors.

For us, we've done shows before and know that it can be a hit or a miss. We went with no expectations - as my mom/business partner said - this was to get me out there and actually see if this was something I wanted to do. We put $50 into the booth and another $20 to finish getting my kit together and some balloons for color. And we worked all week to pull it together (for example we put together a powerpoint presentation for our web design business).

The worst was there WAS another face painter - I felt horrible!!! She had paid for her booth and WAS charging. She was much better - professional and insured and a really had some nice faces. I was scared all day to go talk to her - and finally at the end of the day did go over. Basically to apologize and let her know I had asked numerous times if there was going to be another painter. She had as well - and we were both told no, no - there was no other face painter. I think it was truly a breakdown in communications and nothing to do with anyone organizing the event intentionally misleading us. On the up side, she says she gets very busy at festivals often and doesn't have anyone to work with her - I think once I get some practice and get insured she might consider asking me to work with her. I hope so - her work is excellent and I'd love to have a mentor here.

So, I painted four children and three adults. Sparkling Lady - your reindeer was a hit! Thank you so much for sharing that!!! One girl I painted went to the mall and came back with her family at the end of the day and reported how people kept coming up to her and telling her that was the cutest reindeer they had every seen. I also did snow princesses and holly and a christmas tree. The girls loved the snow princesses but I despaired (not to anyone's faces!) - they just didn't pop like I wanted. I have a lot of work to do on princesses.

I got two people to sign up for my mailing list and the first little girl - who was in the booth across from us - loved her snow princess so much that her mother suggested they have me for her birthday party next september and she can have a dress up party. I know that's a long way away and anything can happen but it's exciting to think someone liked me enough I may have booked my first gig.

I wish I'd painted more faces - but I'm glad I didn't have the pressure of a line. I really was slow and had to remember to sanitize my hands, and figure out how to deal with water and my working surface and getting children to sit up in position rather than crouching to work on them. All things you pros have down to a fine art now! My hand trembled of course and I despaired that my line work was so sloppy but you know what amazed me?

How fascinated people are watching the process and how delighted the children are when you first show them their face and how happy it makes them. I made sure to have a mirror on my table set out so the children could continue to come back and look at their faces even after they were out of my stool.

I also learned that glitter goes a long way to making a so so design look lovely on a little girl! LOL!

I did get pictures and some model releases - I have no idea if any good pics came out of it. But ladies - I did it!!!!!!! And it forced me to get my kit together - the signs, to put up at least a placeholder for my website, get started on a little persona (I found the CUTEST green apron with pompoms at the thrift store that was perfect for my stickers and tic-tacs and tying on my black cloth).

I'll post pictures later.

One sad thing - a little birthday girl came up and her mom wanted to know if I did balloons and I said no - THINKING she wanted balloon twisting. Anyway it was later after she went away mom said, I think she wanted you to paint a balloon on her cheek!!! DOH! I could have done that. ARGH!

One last thing. Children don't bite after all....
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:41 am

Oh and I know I am being long winded but I want to thank everyone here for offering support - and especially Psalm for sharing her cleaning instructions and Shannon for posting forms she uses for me to modify for my use AND - yes - the trick with throwing sponges in the old paint water worked LIKE A CHARM. Not a stain on my sponges last night when I went to wash them out. YAY!

For my old water I found a GREAT container - a plastic kitty litter container! It was great - very sturdy, large, held my jug of fresh water to cary in, padded handle and good snap on lid. Now I just have to paint it or something so that it is not OBVIOUSLY a kitty litter pail - lol!
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Yay, congrats on getting out there and DOING it, and also on finding another local face painter to connect with! I'd say it was a profitable day for you, regardless of what money you made. Very Happy
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:34 pm

I must agree Angie! Thank you. I've posted the few pics that turned out I thought well in my gallery. But for this thread - here are two sisters - one of Sparkling Lady's reindeer and a Snow Princess (the girl with the snow princess had scratches on her cheek so the blush looks badly blended - however I did find the Snaz Electric Pink much harsher and brighter on children than on myself - think I'll find a powder for those cheeks). Sparkling Lady does hers with a background and stars. I kept mine simple - bad enough with trembly hand outlines - LOL. But they still were a hit.

[img][/img]
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Congratulations on getting your feet wet and thanks for sharing your experience!!! Your designs look great -- and most importantly, the kids loved them Smile

MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:39 pm

cheers cheers cheers
Sounds like a fun time!
Your welcome for the help.
Your pics are lovely. The reindeer is too cute!
A trick to getting the snaz sparkle to not be so bold is after you load your sponge, pat the back of your hand a few times(this removes some of the paint)& then pat the cheeks. Then turn the sponge over & use the back to blend it in. Then it'll look like blush & not circles. Also, put the blush on the cheekbones right below the center of the eye. That will give the Rosy effect you're looking for.
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:24 pm

It looks like you did a great job, Pixieface. I know how nervous I was my first (real) time out. Only my problem was not not enough kids to paint, but way too many. I know I was sloppy in my painting but the kids and parents did not seem to mind. Your pictures are cute. I always forget to take pics. It's scary but the smile in the mirror makes it so worth it all. Congratulations on getting a possible first gig too.
fluttersby

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzah on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:43 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:My biggest piece of advice... keep your mouth closed while you paint.

I let mine go a little slack - or I used to. Then the kid sneezed directly into my mouth... I now keep my lips firmly together!

I didn't die... but it was touch and go on whether he would. Evil or Very Mad

Oh my goodness, I have not laughed so loudly for such a long time! Thankyou Laughing

jazzah

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top